“Awesome boutique hotel”

Ranked #175 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Vienna, Virginia
“Awesome boutique hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

This is not your "life of luxury hotel". Don't expect modern furniture and large bathrooms. But this hotel has all the necessities. The Beds are incredibly comfy, the rooms are a decent size for downtown, the furniture is beautiful, and the staff is incredibly helpful. One of the front desk attendants named Eric was more than helpful when it came to looking for restaurants and things to do in the area. It is really close union square and it is incredibly easy to catch a street car to Fisherman's Wharf. If you have a limited budget and want a great hotel then this place will not disappoint.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

We got stuck in SF because of canceled flights back east. Immediately felt the 1920s charm of this place. A few blocks from a great fast-food gourmet plates place called Seet Woodruff where they served us an excellent lunch. The Fitzgerald was perfect--both my husband and I had to work during the day, and even on the 2nd floor with windows open we had relative quiet. The staff was friendly, helpful, and attentive.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jgsound
Elizabeth O, Public Relations Manager at The Fitzgerald Hotel, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Thank you so much! We're glad you enjoyed The Fitzgerald's special charm! We hope to see you back again someday!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

We booked with Adelaide Hostel and ended up here as it is their "sister" location. The lobby is clean and provides brochures, maps and local papers to help figure out a plan for your stay. The staff was all friendly and helpful. We were on the 5th floor and were able to use the charming gated elevator when needed. The rooms were very small, but extremely affordable. They were clean, comfy, plenty of fresh air from the windows and they supplied you with an iron, hair dryer, tissues, phone, cable tv, a fridge and toiletries. The breakfast was simple, but free! I would definitely stay here again on my next trip to the Bay area!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

We really liked the location - very central and yet quiet enough not to be bothered by the noise and crowds of SF downtown. The place has this sort of old school charm which I like and the stuff was helpful in pointing out some good places to eat (there's couple very good sushi and thai places nearby). Everything's in easy reach. Good value.

Room Tip: Back rooms are really quiet.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yksfo
Elizabeth O, Public Relations Manager at The Fitzgerald Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We’re glad you enjoyed your stay and the unique atmosphere we offer- as well as the unbeatable location. Be sure to come see us the next time you are in San Francisco!
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

I stayed at the Fitzgerald recently when I was in San Francisco helping my daughter move out of a downtown apartment. Normally I stay at the Andrews when I have to stay downtown, but they were booked, and the Fitzgerald is right next door, so...

Overall, it was a very good experience! The hotel staff was very pleasant and helpful. There was a bit of confusion over parking: They apparently have a relationship with a self-park garage on Sutter, about a block away, but when I checked in, they were out of coupons. The man at the desk really worked to try to get some brought over asap, but since I was tired (I'd been working since early that morning) and my car was already parked at the Ellis-O'Farrell city garage, I ended up opting to just leave it there rather than hassle with moving it.

My room, which was billed as a "petite double," was very attractive and comfortable. One of the thing I love about San Francisco's "boutique hotels" is that you're not in some ultra-sanitized, cookie-cutter place, but rather in a unique situation, and this room definitely fit that bill! I really fell in love with the decor, which was eclectic to say the least. The main feature of the room was a king-sized four-poster bed with an old-fashioned bedspread and attractive metal headboard. The bed was flanked by two nightstands sporting interesting modernistic reading lamps, and over it was a ceiling fan that looked like something from the tropics. Somehow it all just worked!

I was on the sixth floor (room 601), in the front of the building overlooking Post St. For me, that was just fine...I used to live in downtown San Francisco (just a block away from the Fitzgerald, actually), and I'm not bothered by city noises (not even by the frequent fire engines). If you're less accustomed to sleeping in an urban setting, however, you might want to request a room nearer the back of the hotel.

My room featured a small but functional closet and a full bath (tub/shower, washstand, toilet). Room equipment included an alarm clock, a mini-fridge and microwave, a coffee maker, a hairdryer, an ironing board, an iron, and a flat-screen TV. Of those, the only ones I used were the fridge (worked fine) and the TV (it was a bit sluggish answering the remote -- at first I thought it wasn't working -- but once I figured out the knack of it, it worked fine and got a good picture). The hotel offers free wi-fi, and that worked just fine as well, even with two of us using it.

As I was there during a rare cold snap, I also really appreciated the fully adjustable electric heating, which allowed me to keep the room nice and cozy. I'm a Californian...I don't do cold!

The only thing the room lacked, in my opinion, was some kind of table or desk (I'm not actually a fan of holding my laptop on my lap) and some kind of TV channel guide (the only way to find out what was on was by channel surfing), but both are minor considerations as far as I'm concerned).

The hotel does offer a free breakfast, which takes place in the basement (not as dark as it sounds...this is San Francisco, and basements actually have windows! The breakfast room was really very nice.). I didn't avail myself of it, as I had other plans, but I did check it out: Lots of things for toasting (and things to put on them), instant oatmeal, a fresh fruit salad, and the usual coffee/tea/etc. Just fine if you're looking for a light meal before heading out to see the city, but don't expect to be stuffing yourself on waffles, pastries, and hard-boiled eggs.

The hotel is also affiliated with a wine bar, with which it shares a lobby. As I was there on a Monday, the wine bar wasn't open, but I was assured by the staff that it's worth visiting during its regular hours.

By far and away the best thing about the Fitzgerald is the location. I mean, you just can't beat it...right in the heart of the Theater District, three blocks from Union Square, a short walk from the cable cars and Chinatown, and surrounded by good eateries (including San Francisco's finest Italian restaurant, Fino, which is right next door!)

If I must nitpick, the only downside, other than the parking confusion, might be the lack of any kind of seating in the lobby. No problem for me, but f you're waiting for a taxi or something like that, it might be an issue.

Also, it may go without saying for this genre, but this is a San Francisco boutique hotel, and that means that your choices for going up and down are either a small, historic, cage-type elevator or the stairs. If small, historic elevators freak you out and you're not willing or able to do stairs, you may be in trouble...but then, you'd have the same issue with just about any of the city's historic properties. If you're like me, though, and relish the unique nature of a hotel that reflects the spirit of the city in which it's located, you'll be happy here.

I'd happily stay again.

Room Tip: If you're bothered by street noises, select a room near the back of the hotel. Be warned...there...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank RedwolfCalifornia
Thank you for the thoughtful and constructive feedback! We’re so glad you enjoyed the room, appreciated the atmosphere, and were able to stay warm despite the uncharacteristic cold spell!

We do normally have several armchairs for guests to use in the lobby, but they are only taken out for decorative purposes during the Christmas season.

Thank you also for the recent photos- we hope you’ll come see us again the next time you’re in San Francisco, and maybe this time get to experience the very cozy wine bar on the weekend! Cheers and Happy Holidays!
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Look its a great location and great price! But man, I came here on vacation and the mood the staff set is not what you want. They are rude, they don't greet you and when you ask for help they treat you as if your stupid, once to the point I felt quite upset after. At the end of the day this is a customer service job and you need people working here that will give visitors a good experience. I will not stay here again nor will I tell anyone else to stay here. This needs work and from what I've seen on previous feedback this issue has not been addressed

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank cjsull
Thank you for your feedback! As we discussed via message, the staff have been addressed about this situation and action has been taken to ensure problems of this nature do not continue! We strive to offer the best customer service possible and so we are very sorry you had a negative experience, one which does not reflect our values of making people feel welcome and at a “home away from home.” We pledge to do better in this department!

Cheers, and happy holidays!
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here for three nights on a girl's weekend. We just wanted a simple hotel near Union Square close to shopping and nightlife. The location is great, but the hotel was pretty lame. Curtains were torn, there was black mold in the bathroom. The room was small and run down, no a/c, and the noise from the street was crazy. The front desk staff were totally indifferent (borderline rude). I've done much better for this price range. Won't stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends