“Central location but needs internal sound proofing.”
Review of The Herbert Hotel

The Herbert Hotel
Ranked #79 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Saint Peters, Missouri, United States
“Central location but needs internal sound proofing.”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed here for two nights with a room that faced Powell. The windows held up well and we didn't hear noise from it but the room across the hall was noisy. The TV was so loud that with the doors closed we could hear what was being said and the opted to have a party and were in and out all night. It is my own fault for not complaining but to be honest I didn't think it would make a difference. The desk staff looked to not care unless it was someone that got their mail delivered there or lived there, not sure, I just know they had a basket for mail in the back where luggage was stored. Even then they left that unlocked so anyone could've gone and and taken anything. The rooms were clean though small were comfortable for the two of us.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rachel R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I just spent two nights at this property. It was due to a deal we found on the property.

It's a very cute remodeled hotel. We had a room facing Powell Street with en suite bathroom. You need to realize that not all rooms have their own shower. There is a communal shower on each floor.

The good: clean, free wifi, central to getting where you need to go.
The not so good: It's an old building, so there is no A/C, but you really don't need A/C, but it does get kinda warm/stuffy in the room and there is no ceiling fan, so we had to open the window, but since our room faced Powell Street it's super loud. The trolleys go up and down Powell all day ringing the bell and at night it's the same until late plus street noise. That's the only downside to this property.

If you are driving in, we found parking at 333 Jones Street which is a short walk away.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LADiver
South Africa
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in May 2014. The location is spectacular - in the center of all the action yet the room we had facing the busy street allowed us to sleep peacefully at night. The hotel is quaint and the rooms and bathroom bright. Unfortunately, service is not a strong point at this hotel - we had to wait a whole day for replacement after reporting that the shower gel was depleted.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DeeJaySA
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Perfect location for sight seeing and city shopping stay over in San Fran.
We are Young couple that stayed for 3 nights in shared room.
Shared bathroom was only a shower but room has sink.
All staff were very helpful and gave great advice

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dean L
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed at the Herbert Hotel through Hotel Tonight. As other viewers stated, it's in a great location. 5 minute walk to BART and Union Square, 15-20 minute walk to the Embarcadero. It's located next to a Walgreens which is handy.

My room was very clean. The staff at the front desk was incredibly helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank anouska c
Ohio, USA
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I had a business trip to the San Francisco area with meetings starting late on Tuesday. While I could have made it out on a direct flight Tuesday morning, I opted for a more relaxed schedule and flew out on Monday, giving me Monday afternoon and most of the day Tuesday to explore the city. To simplify the transportation from SFO to the city, I wanted to get a hotel near Union Square so that I could just ride the BART to and from downtown plus have access to the public transportation options when exploring the city. After search through the internet, I was lucky to find a room for $150 just off Union Square as most of the options in that area were running in the $300 to $600 per night range! I used booking.com to secure my room at The Herbert for $134 for the one night (plus tax, so the total was right at $150).

I arrived at the Herbert before noon, so well before the check-in. No problems there as the staff gladly stored by luggage for me while I went exploring. From the amount of bags in the storage room it seems that this is a common occurrence. I spent the rest of the day walking around the city and the Presidio and did not return to the Herbert until 9:00 PM. My bags were in the storage closet, right where I left them, but now they were all alone.

After checking in, I took the old elevator up to the fifth floor to find my room and get a little rest. The Herbert is an older hotel, established in 1909 and it has that old feel, although the trappings have a bit of a modern vibe. The room I had was small, but plenty of space for one person for a night (it mibht have been tight with two people in there). As for furnishings, there was the queen sized bed , a chair and a small table. The TV was mounted on the wall. For night stands there was a small shelf mounted on either side of the bed; not much space on either one. The small table (or it might have also been a self) was also mostly full with the coffee maker and supplies. On the plus side, there was a rather large closest in the room (not that a closet is of much use for a one-night trip). The bathroom was much bigger than I expected. Note that not all of the rooms have a private bath, so do make sure of the arrangements (private or shared bath) when making your reservation. Note that the bathroom is stocked with the normal amenities, but rather than the small/personal-size bottles of shampoo, etc. the supplies are in wall-mounted dispensers.

For me, the location or the hotel and the cost were the major selling points. The Herbert is just a short walk from the Powell Street BART station and the cable car terminal at the end of Powell Street, plus there are a number of buses that provide access to all areas of the city. The number 38 bus runs along Geary Street and provides a starting ride to Golden Gate Park or the Presidio. And of course the hotel is just a short walk to Union Square.

This was my third stay in the area around Union Square. Previously I have stayed at the Hilton and the Hotel Fusion. All things considered, I preferred the Herbert, particularly in terms of cost and location. I would certainly stay at the Herbert again on a future visit to San Francisco.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank OhioHick
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The Herbert is in a great location, close to everything that matters in San Francisco. The rooms are decorated in a minimalist style and are pristine.
It is fantastic for a short stay as long as getting sleep is not important - it was very noisy.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank PippaB30
EmilyNagel, Front Office Manager at The Herbert Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at The Herbert Hotel! We are so glad that you enjoyed the beautiful location and were able to be in the heart of the city for your stay in San Francisco. I do want to sincerely apologize for your lack of sleep. Unfortunately San Francisco can be a noisy place; however, our windows that face Powell st are quadruple-paned. If you decide to stay with us again, next time you are in San Francisco, we will be sure to assist you so that you can get a good night's sleep in a room with quadruple-paned windows. Again, thank you so much for staying with us at The Herbert Hotel!