“Nice budget hotel in a great location”
Review of Hotel Stratford

Hotel Stratford
Ranked #114 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I was visiting San Francisco for a conference and the location of this hotel was spot on. Reaching the hotel from the airport was really easy, just take the BART to Powell Station and start walking up the Powell Street until you reach the hotel (takes about 5 mins).

This my third visit to San Francisco and this by far the best budget hotel I've been staying at. Our room was facing away from Powell so the room was really quiet during the night. The WiFi worked nicely and even allowed me to stream video from Netflix in the evening.

The free breakfast was a nice plus, although if you need a proper breakfast, this one might not be fulfilling enough since it only includes some cereal and white bread with coffee and juice.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Kari V
Jamie D, Front Office Manager at Hotel Stratford, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Hey Kari, thanks for writing some tips, i am sure this will help future travelers. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and we would like to say thank you from all the staff here at the Stratford.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Hotel Stratford is very centrally located by union square so for most who are in town to sight-see or attend a conference, it's a great spot. The rate was very reasonable and probably the best value in the area. The only way you're likely to pay much is less is by staying at a shady hotel or sharing a bathroom. My room was away from the street and thus was fairly quiet. My only gripe is that the bed wasn't very comfortable. I don't consider myself a particularly finicky sleeper, but my back hurt upon waking up having spent 4 nights there. The room was quite small and didn't have a desk, but you unless you need to do work you should be enjoying the city and not hanging in the hotel room anyway. Pretty good free wifi, free (average) continental breakfast, and good front desk staff.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank ride85
Reviewed 31 January 2014

My stay at the Hotel Stratford was exceptional. I had limited funds and would have loved to stay another night. I approached the front desk in a quandary and literally peppered the concierge Jack with questions.

He advised me of an app that hotels post the discounted room rates they will have for the weekend. It was 7:30 in the morning and hotels do not start posting until 9:00 am.

He started to look on the internet and I returned to my room to do the same. I located a couple of hotels, but was unsure of how safe the areas were. I telephone the front desk and asked Jack if I could stop down with what I found etc. He not only assured me it was not a problem, but when I got to the front desk he reviewed the hotels I found and educated me on the areas and what he though was the best out of what I had found and I was able to book a room.

Jack not only has his eye on customer service, but went above and beyond anything I could have imagined. I want anyone who has the opportunity to stay at the Hotel Stratford to know they are in good hands with Jack! I also think the Hotel Stratford is luck to have such a dedicated and truly exceptional employee.

D. Newton

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 25 January 2014

This hotel is literally a few steps away from Union Square. You will have access to practically everything within walking distance - malls, a variety of restaurants, small shops, pubs and clubs. The complimentary breakfast is nothing fancy but it has a sufficient variety. The room is pretty modest but clean with a welcoming bed. So if your looking for just a place to crash on a budget while spending most of your time exploring San Francisco, this hotel is definitely a good option.

You have to book your room ahead of time, as everytime I was in the lobby there would be walk in customers wanting to check in but the hotel was fully booked.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Travelt0n
Reviewed 23 January 2014

The location is PERFECT. But the bathroom is too dingy to go above 2 stars, water pressure sucked. No luxury here, the mere basics. I don't know, kind of depressing. Would stay in the other hotel, across the street from the park and get breakfast at one of the many shops just some feet away. Not worth to stay here, just because of the continental breakfast included.

Room Tip: Perfect location, but not worth to stay here just because of the continental breakfast included. Yo...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank montereyes
Jamie D, Front Office Manager at Hotel Stratford, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Yes, the Hotel Stratford is a two star hotel. We agree the location is perfect . We offer continental breakfast consisting of bread, muffins, fruit, cereal, coffee, tea, and juices. There are also a ton of great places nearby serving a full hot breakfast. Thanks for the review.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed here this past weekend and did not pay a lot, and certainly did not get a lot. Right downtown and close to the convention center, but room was small and amenities were meager. Bed was adequate but not very comfortable. If you want a spacious room with a great view, this is not the place. If you just want a clean room to fall asleep in and not spend a lot, this is the place for you. I'll spend a little more and have to travel a little more for a more comfortable room next time.

Room Tip: I doubt there are any good rooms here.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mike4mula

Hello Mike, Thanks for reviewing the Hotel on Trip Advisor. The Stratford is a Historic hotel and some of the rooms may seem on the smaller side.We are happy to hear you thought the Stratford was a good deal and we want to let you know that these comments do not come unnoticed by our team. Thanks again!

Reviewed 20 January 2014

The location was great, really close to many different types of transport and in the centre of downtown. Lots of shopping very close! It was also convenient to go out for dinner, as there are bars and restaurants directly opposite as well as down the road. It's good value for money , but you do pay for it in several areas. The rooms are small, though, with barely enough room to lay down two suitcases, and there weren't any easily accessible powerpoints - we had to unplug the clock and the bedlight to charge our phones and laptop. Our room was clean and fairly quiet, although you can hear the plumbing of other rooms. The water pressure of the shower wasn't great, either, and took a long time to heat up. Our room was really tired looking, the lift was VERY slow, and the breakfast is very light - there is only two or three basic cereals, one type of fruit, grape jam (the strawberry always runs out) and bread. There's parking available at Union Square, but it's $34 overnight, so I'd definitely avoid bringing a car. Having said all this, I would stay here again, based solely on the convenience of the location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street - the cable car can be noisy.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple