“Great Location for a Family Trip”
Review of The Tuscan

The Tuscan
Ranked #63 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kauai, HI
“Great Location for a Family Trip”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed here over 2 nights w/ my husband and 10 year old son. The room (double queen bed) was small but comfortable, clean, and over all just fine. We did have a problem with the air conditioning unit and had to request a service visit twice, after the first attempt to repair the problem was unsuccessful I was grateful the second attempt worked as we were informed the only other available room was ground level, street side (i.e. noisy). The hotel lobby was well decorated, the wine hour was a nice bonus but I think the best feature of this hotel was the location, we were within a 20 minute walk to the Exlploratorium, 5 minutes from the aquarium and 10 minutes from the Alcatraz ferry landing. There were tons of restaurants nearby, and we were right around the corner from Safeway, where we grabbed some snacks. The price tag for the hotel room was steeper than I would normally consider for a basic room, however given the cost of other, lower-end hotels in the area it seemed consistent for the neighborhood. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Street side is quite noisy if you need to have a window open.
1 Thank AJeanneM
Ed S, Manager at The Tuscan, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Hi AJeanneM - Thanks for staying with us and for taking the time to comment. Glad to hear that you and the family enjoyed your visit to The Tuscan Hotel. I'm sorry for the A/C challenge, however, I'm pleased that our maintenance team came to the rescue. Thanks for the kind words and we look forward to your next visit...

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (644)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We arrived from the UK heavily jet lagged and wanting to go to bed. However, upon arriving in our room we found we were close to the building's air conditioning unit on the roof. This came on and off multiple times while we were unpacking and was so loud we decided to try and move rooms.

I spoke to a lady on reception about the issue, who said they had never had a noise complaint about the air con units - I found this hard to believe. At first she said the hotel was full and couldn't move me until maybe the next afternoon, but found a room for us after I persisted.

This room was on the same corridor, so was no better. I went down again, by now just desperate to get some sleep, and explained the situation. After much resistance another room was mysteriously found on their system. This one was at the back of the hotel on the ground floor and yet was extremely quiet except for some strange noises from the plumbing whenever anyone flushed a toilet upstairs.

Our four night stay was very pleasant after this, so the end result was therefore fine but I was unhappy about the hassle I was put through to be given a room I could sleep in (surely the most basic requirement of any hotel room) upon arrival.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anon_mm
Ed S, Manager at The Tuscan, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Hi Anon_mm - Thanks for staying with us a year ago and for taking the time to comment. Glad to hear that you had pleasant 4 night visit after a bumpy arrival. We hope you had a terrific SF experience and hope all of your future accommodations are satisfying and comfortable...
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My husband and I spent 5 nights in June at this very well kept, clean and spacious hotel. The hotel was in the most perfect location for us as we wanted only a quick walk to Fishermans Wharf, Pier 39, as well as easy access to the cable cars and the many tour bus options on the area.. The location was absolutely perfect!

The hotel was very gracious about honoring a few request that we made at the time of booking. We requested a King suite on the top floor, with a view (if it were even possible) of the Harbor. I was thrilled to have receive what was probably only one of a very few of those rooms in this actual hotel. We also requested all non feather pillows and those were also waiting on our upon arrival

The King Suite room was a wonderful luxury for us as it allowed my husband and some space as both of us sadly had a bit business that we needed to do during this trip. It was wonderful to use the extra room as an office area when needed. The actual bedroom was spacious enough for our needs with a king bed, plenty of night stands, tables, dresser and large flat screen television. The :"office room" had a pull out small sleeper sofa, desk, chair, living room furniture including another large flat screen television and also a small fridge. '

We also liked the fact that there was a closet in each room which allowed us additional room and area to keep our clothing separate and well organized. The bathroom was spacious, and came fully equipped with all of the basics including dryer, plenty of towels and extra toiletries.

The king bed was super comfortable, not to hard, not to soft. The only down side of our room choice was the the street in front of the hotel, facing the water is quite noisy at night. Although we are typically light sleepers, we were able to manage around the noise and slept well despite our initial fears,

We were also very happy to have had free access to the business center later at night as that allowed us to book our boarding pass for our next day travels. Great hotel, we plan to return for sure when we eventually return back to San Francisco!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michele D
Ed S, Manager at The Tuscan, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Hi Michele D - Thanks for staying with us for 5 nights and for the 5 Star review. I'm so pleased to hear that you and your husband couldn't have been more pleased with your Tuscan Hotel experience and we appreciate all of your kind words and comments. Glad that you would consider returning to the hotel when your travel plans bring you back to SF and we look forward to serving you again soon...
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We had 2 rooms for 3 nights at the Tuscan and really cannot find fault with any aspect of our stay, from the check-in, to the rooms, to the daily wine reception from 5-6pm and the very friendly staff. The hotel is situated within a 2 minute walk of the action on Fisherman's Wharf, and a 10 minute walk at most to Pier 39. The rooms were modern, very clean and spacious and well supplied. The hotel is also very convenient to streetcar lines and a couple of the cable car lines.
One tip for breakfast is to visit the Hollywood Café just up the street - known for the best breakfast in the city. One visit was enough for me as the portions are simply vast. For a 'normal' breakfast I would highly recommend the Boudin bakery & café on the Wharf, where they bake their famous sourdough in full view of passersby.

Room Tip: The King room was great and the bed excellent.
2 Thank Max421
Ed S, Manager at The Tuscan, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Hi Max421 - Thanks for staying with us and for all the kind comments and local tips! Always pleased to hear when our guests are comfortable and satisfied. Appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and we'll look forward to your next visit.
finland
Reviewed 27 June 2014

A family of five (all are adults) wanted to stay near the Fisherman's Wharf, so we chose this hotel for the location and it being not the most expensive one among all naturally rather high-priced hotels in this neighborhood. Three of us stayed in a suite, at the top floor with a view towards the Wharf. That was excellent! Two people shared a king bed while the third used a sofabed, which is full sized but not as comfortable as a full bed. This arrangement would work fine for parents travelling with a teenager, for example! The bathroom is large enough. So, all in all the three in this room were very happy . The other two persons shared a 2 queen bed room next door, thanks for that!, and were very happy even though the view was not at level with the one next door. So, for our needs the rooms worked fine. So did the housekeeping throughout our five-night stay. Staff was very helpful when we needed something.

Breakfast was not included, so we ate at a different place each morning, incl. the one that's connected to the hotel, there's plenty of places around, try at least the Hollywood Cafe.

Personally, I dislike the wall-to-wall carpeting and would like to see it go as it takes away rather than contributes to the overall feeling of cleanliness, but I guess it's common in American hotels. Wrote this on the survey from BW and did get a quick reply from the hotel, a plus for that! Otherwise, some signs of furniture needing an upgrade, but they might be in the process of doing that right now.

I think the 4-star rating is appropriate for the hotel itself, but will give 5 points here with the extra point for the location that our family enjoyed very much. So, finally despite the cost, this is a clear recommendation for the Tuscan.

Ed S, Manager at The Tuscan, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Hi joe57 - Thanks for staying with us and for the 5 Star review. All of your kind words and feedback for improvement is most appreciated. (Special thanks for the bump in the star rating, which means a lot to us). I'm very pleased that you and the family enjoyed the hotel, staff, location and our new luxurious pillow top beds. We're glad to get your thumbs up recommendation and we will look forward to the pleasure of serving you again soon.
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We enjoyed our recent stay at the Best Western Plus Tuscan. It was in walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf, Alcatraz Landing and the cable car line. It was clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Ed S, Manager at The Tuscan, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Hi 447kims - Thanks for staying with us and for taking the time to share your thoughts. We're glad you had a great stay and we look forward to your next visit...
California
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We have stayed at the Tuscan Inn when it was a Kimpton hotel and always had a great experience. Unfortunately last year we had a few problems and I contacted the manager to discuss some of our concerns, and for the only time I had made a few comments on Trip Advisor about my concerns as I only like to make positive comments to help others decide. I was contacted by the manager Jan Misch who was very concerned, we talked about the problems, and he agreed to address my issues. As a result, in fairness, I took down my comments from Trip Advisor as I felt we were being properly acknowledged. Although I asked for nothing, I was contacted by Mr. Misch and he offered us a complimentary room and an upgrade. I advised him that I had not complained to get a comped room, but he insisted. We arrived last week, booked an extra day on our own, and I have to tell you it was wonderful. The Tuscan lived up to all our previous visits over the years. The room was beautiful, staff was terrific, the restaurant as usual was great and we could not have had a better trip. We will be returning in August and look forward to our next visit thank you Mr. Misch for a great stay.

Room Tip: Try and get a room off the street side for quiet.
Ed S, Manager at The Tuscan, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Hi EdandEm - Thanks for coming back to give us another shot and thanks for the 5 Star review. We're elated that Jan was able to assist after your last visit and that this time; you enjoyed the true Tuscan experience. We appreciate all of your kind comments about Jan, the hotel, the staff and our fabulous restaurant Pescatore. Thanks again for giving us another shot and I'm very glad we knocked it out of the park. We look forward to you next visit and hope to see you again soon...