Travelled as a couple and booked the Tuscan Hotel months in advance reading the mostly good to great reviews about it. It turned out that the Tuscan, like so many other San Francisco hotels, is an old hotel that is way too pricey compared to the standard. The area at the fishermans warf is not a place you want to stay for more than a couple of days as it is probably the most touristy area in all of san francisco with mostly uninterresting tourist shops and it is practically dead after 7 pm when everyone heads for the great places downtown. It has the piers and harbour in its favour, but you could easily go here on a day trip from downtown like most other people do and then you wouldn't feel like its a place you want to keep coming back to. Also this hotel seems to attract mostly people 50 years old +, so if you are a young couple I would look for something else.
The hotel service and staff is friendly and nice, but the rooms are nothing special and the furniture is old, worn or cheap. I accidentily unveiled a table cloth to find the table underneath was made of badly put together mdf-plates, where it was obvious the cloth covered the entire table to the floor to hide the table itself. The beds and sleep quality is fine, but if you think you're getting value for money or is looking for a nice stylish place to stay in a good location I would recommend another hotel downtown. The hotel had some wine tasting that seemed nice when we passed by it, but since we were on holiday we didn't use this opportunity as we wanted to experience the local places around San Francisco instead. The free wifi was good, most places downtown has this too or you can easily get reception to a free wifi hotspot.
The hotel also had a service where if you waiver the daily room cleaning they will give you a 5 $ coupon each day you can use in the hotel restaurant. We used this opportunity thinking we would spend the coupons on the day of our departure, only to find out you can only use 1 coupon pr. day and at 11 am when we were about to depart the restaurant was closed. No one informed us about these limitations, and we got the idea this was a feature for the hotel to save money as the coupon had so many limitations and only made our impression of the hotel worse.
All in all we would not stay here again as you can get much better value for money elsewhere. We paid 2100 $ for 6 days which would normally compare to a higher standard 4 or 5 star hotel in most major cities, but then again it seems typical of San Francisco that the hotel standard is bad compared to the price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since 1997, Frommer's Guide designates the Tuscan hotel, located just steps from the breathtaking San Francisco waterfront, as "the best hotel at Fisherman's Wharf." This gracious boutique hotel is characterized by its warmth and charm, impeccable service and Italian country villa ambiance. Adjacent to the hotel is the inviting Italian trattoria, Café Pescatore, completing the picture for an ideal stay in the City by the Bay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your The Tuscan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western San Francisco
- Tuscan Inn Fishermans Wharf
- San Francisco Tuscan Inn
- San Francisco Best Western Tuscan Inn
- Tuscan Inn San Francisco
- Best Western Fishermans Wharf
- Best Western Tuscan Inn Fishermans Wharf San Francisco