“I wanted to love it, but it was just okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Tuscan

The Tuscan
Ranked #59 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Rhode Island
“I wanted to love it, but it was just okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2009

Based on the reviews here on TripAdvisor, I expected to love the Tuscan Inn, but I have to say I was underwhelmed. The location is good, and the overall decor is nice, but there was nothing that I can really rave about.

This was our first trip to San Francisco (myself, my husband, and two teenage children) and we stayed at the Tuscan Inn for two nights -- a Saturday and Sunday. The first night we had a room on the outside perimeter of the building, facing Mason St., and the street noise was absolutely unbearable. It was not just cars and traffic (which I would understand) but screaming, yelling, honking, and all kinds of commotion -- especially at about 2am, which is when I'm assuming the local bars let out. The noise from inside the hotel was not much better. The walls were paper thin, and my son woke up in a panic at one point because he thought the voices he was hearing were INSIDE our room.

We asked to be moved to a quieter room the next day, and the front desk was very accommodating (I got the feeling this happens all the time). The second room was smaller, with a very inconvenient bathroom layout, but at least it was quieter and we were able to sleep.

We never tried the coffee/tea in the morning or the manager's reception in the afternoon (we were out sightseeing most of the time), though they are a nice touch. Our room rate included breakfast, which was a croissant and fruit at the on site restaurant. It was fine but, again, nothing I can rave about.

Overall, it was a good location, but an average hotel with serious noise issues.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Ann P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (635)
  • Korean first
Rockwood, Tn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2009

My wife and I, along with my sister, stayed at the Best Western Tuscan Inn Fisherman's Wharf. We stayed from November 6 through November 10, 2009. This was our first ever visit to San Francisco, as we are from Tennessee and my sister is from North Carolina. We have been many places, in many states, and even out of the country a few times. I left San Francisco and the Tuscan Inn, very happy and highly impressed. I can not tell you a single bad thing about the hotel. Everything was perfect from the minute we arrived, until when we left to go home. I highly recommend and urge you to stay at this great hotel. The place is exceptionally clean in all areas, up to date and nice. The front desk staff is more than eager to help, smile, make you happy. We were always greeted with a big smile and happiness, even when very busy. The location is perfect to pier 39 and surrounding areas. I am proud of myself for picking this hotel, and I assure you that I would stay nowhere else in San Francisco, other than the Best Western Tuscan Inn. If we had any questions about getting to somewhere, the front desk people were knowledgeable and always printed us precise directions that got us where we were going fast and safe. The room was on the 2nd floor and was spotless and very cozy. The room was very nice and quiet. We had no complaints at all. We were right beside vending machines, which was great for me to get a drink, after all the walking! The elevators were fast and clean. The outside of the hotel was clean as well. I would like to say thank you to everyone at the Best Western Tuscan Inn, for making our first trip to San Francisco a perfect, memorable time in our lives. You ladies and gentlemen did a fantastic job, and my family will be back to San Francisco soon, and will be staying again at the Best Western Tuscan Inn. All who reads this review, I recommend you stay there as well, as it will exceed your expectations.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jason205
Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2009

Very nice hotel that is convieniently located to cable cars, f line, wharf, etc. Very clean and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank st8208
Calgary, Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2009

We went to San Francisco in September and decided to stay close to Fisherman's Wharf because we stayed downtown when we were there 17 years ago and spent most of our time down at Fisherman's Wharf because we enjoyed it so much. My husband found this hotel on Trip Advisor and it ranked very high and we weren't disappointed at all as it is in a great location and a very nice hotel. The rooms are on the small side but they're still big enough to be comfortable and are decorated very nicely. The staff is friendly and we only went to one of the "Happy Hours" for a glass of wine as we were either at the baseball game (very much fun) or on the two tours we took in - busy time! They also have a computer available with free internet which is a nice bonus but I didn't find that out till the day before we left but was still able to get on there to check our flight to Vegas the next day. There are lots of restaurants close by plus a Safeway just across the street so that is very handy. We will definitely stay here again and will recommend this hotel to others if they're planning a trip to SF!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daphne2
Columbus OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2009

A friend from high school and I went to San Francisco for a week Oct 25 – Nov 1. We stayed at the wonderful Tuscan Inn. From the time we got there until we left we were treated superbly. The front desk and the concierge staff were very helpful when we had a question. The morning coffee and tea and the afternoon reception were wonderful. Housekeeping was efficient and friendly. One night we had a problem with the television. We called the front desk and the man they sent to our room got the problem fixed immediately. The rooms were spacious and clean. In the restaurant the waiters and waitresses were very friendly and extremely professional. The only downside of the Tuscan Inn was that the ice machine on the floor we stayed on was broken for the whole week.
The hotel location was perfect. Everyday we would start our day with coffee and tea. Then we would walk out the front door and walk down to Pier 39 which is two blocks away. From there we could get to anywhere we wanted to go in San Francisco. All the buses and trolleys had stops at Pier 39. Also the boat to Sausalito left from Pier 39. The Cost Plus Market is next to the Tuscan Inn and we went there and get great wine. Across the street from the Tuscan Inn was the Northpoint Shopping Center which has a Walgreens, grocery store and a hair salon. We asked a man working at the grocery store for directions to another store and he walked out of the grocery store to show us where the other store was. What a nice person! We went to the hair salon and they did a fabulous job on our hair.
We saw the show Beach Blanket Babylon and it was fabulous. A must see in San Francisco.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank vse188
Columbia, SC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2009

My husband and I stayed for two nights at the Tuscan Inn and enjoyed it's great location to Fisherman Wharf and proximity to San Francisco's streetcars. We were able to get anywhere we wanted very easily. The rooms are clean and tidy. The staff is helpful and knowledgable. We enjoyed every minute of our visit and will definitely stay at the Tuscan Inn next time we are in San Francisco.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SCGMom
San Roque, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2009

We stayed at the Tuscan Inn for one night pre cruise and found the hotel to be an excellent choice. We had reserved direct with hotel well in advance of our stay and got a very good rate. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff were friendly and helpful. The location was perfect for perusing the shops at Fishermans Wharf, we had dinner at Nicks's Lighthouse - the food was fine but the rest rooms were in a horrendous state, which completely put us off. There is a supermarket located opposite the hotel which was ideal for last minute purchases.

We had a problem with the internet access, but as we didn't report it at the time, we were still charged however this was a minor inconvenience for us.

If we return to San Francisco we would definately stay here again so that in itself is a good recomendation.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple