Spent three nights in the KG in early December after driving up from LA over a few days. The best thing is its location - a block away from the bustle of Union Square makes it ideal for Macy's (5 min walk tops) and for transport - we did one of the open-top bus tours which all go from there too and the cable car is only on the next road.
Also located between Loris Diner (which did awesome breakfasts and is exactly the sort of place that you want if you are from overseas and want a nice 'diner' experience) and Cafe Mason where we had a few lunches and dinners. These are right next door. Perfect.
The KG revels in being old-school which does have charm, but the louvered glass windows in the bedrooms don't block any of the noise and I'd rather they ripped them out and put in double glazing. It seemed that all the fire engines in San Fran went past on Saturday night and then on Sunday morning 7am some soccer fans decided it'd be fun to chant for an hour after whatever game they'd been watching in the Irish pub nearby. And we weren't even facing the main road so I hate to think how noisy it must be if you have a room on Mason St.
Noise aside the room was ok - the bathroom was tiny and the bed had a bit of a roll-to - but it was fine. It is old style but that's what I expected for the money I paid.
Overall I enjoyed staying there - probably more than I enjoyed San Fran actually - the KG has a homely feel, the staff are friendly (big thanks to Jake the concierge who was super helpful) and the location can't be beat. For those who don't have fancy hotel budgets I'd say give the KG a go.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The King George Hotel is ideally located just steps from Union Square, seconds from San Francisco’s world-class shopping, dining and theatre. The hotel is two blocks from the historic Powell Street Cable Car line and a short walk or taxi ride to Moscone Convention Center, Civic Center, Sony Metreon, Yerba Buena Gardens, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art and the Financial District. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Priceline, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your King George Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- King George San Francisco
- Hotel King George
- King George Hotel San Francisco