“the PERFECT spot for our delegation of 7 business women from Chile”
Review of King George Hotel

Ranked #83 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Francisco
“the PERFECT spot for our delegation of 7 business women from Chile”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

King George Hotel owners, manager and staff couldn't be more accommodating and gracious in handling an emergency reservation for 7 business women visting Marin County CA, as part of our sister city exchange. Prior to our scheduled week of business meetings and workshop/trainings in Marin County, our Chilean business women booked into another nearby hotel, largely based on affordability for 2 nights in SF. What a disaster! We wanted to remedy that experience with a clean, friendly well located hotel like the King George. We made frantic calls to find 4 rooms in an overbooked city at height of tourist season, King George worked with us to provide reservations for their one night stay and visit to the Chilean Consulate the next day. We and our guests from Chilean were not disappointed. The rooms were clean with fresh sheets, towels, amenities and safe accommodations and in an affordable price range. Thank you so much for your hospitality and professional assistance. Muchas Gracias

Room Tip: they are renovating rooms here and upgrading the hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
KingGeorgeMgr, General Manager at King George Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Cinderella-SFO,
Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding the friendly and accommodating service provided by our dedicated staff. We’re very happy that we were able to assist with hotel rooms under the circumstances and make a pleasant home away from home for the group of Chilean travelers. Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can ever be of future assistance to you for travel needs.

Best regards,
King George Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sheffield
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights during The Memorial Day Holiday Weekend. The hotel is located one block away from Union Square, with diners either side.
Checked in around 3:30pm, initially confusion over my reservation with tooing and froing between reception and back office, eventually sorted out, David who spoke Cantonese and his fellow reception team was humourous and helpful. The hotel is undergoing renovation at the momment, which reflects even in the lift. Was given room 302, which faced the alleyway, it is one of the renovated rooms, small, compact but overall very nice. The bathroom was nicely decorated, even the beds are raised higher, so cases can go under the bed!! There was noise from the outside at night, but it was not a major concern, sometimes it was funny trying to work out what people were shouting about!!
The location is superb, very close to Union Square, Westfield Centre, Chinatown, cable car stops.
Also there is free Wi Fi which I found to be reliable, some reviews mentioned the water problem , this was on my last day, so didn't affect me greatly, but I'm sure it inconvienenced others more.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SittingbourneOwl
hollywood,ca
Reviewed 7 June 2014

room are small but clean.staff is very knowlegable and friendly. I never got my pillows although they did change my to a bigger room. the tv remote wasnt working properly. Overall the hotel was hit because it was near everything

2 Thank shabah
KingGeorgeMgr, General Manager at King George Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear shabah,
We appreciate your recent stay with us and thank you for your kind comments regarding our clean rooms, our knowledgeable, friendly staff, and our central location near Union Square. My apologies for not fulfilling your request for additional pillows, but I’m glad we were able to move you to a larger room. We’d welcome the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Old, musty and forgettable. Needs to be shut down and remodeled. I knew from checking in that it would be a poor stay. The old furniture in the lobby and 1920's three person elevator did nothing to alleviate my fears. I did not need an alarm clock in my room -- the garbage collectors making a din in the alley outside my room took care of that.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
KingGeorgeMgr, General Manager at King George Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Gary B.,
Thank you for choosing the King George Hotel for accommodations during your travels to San Francisco. I apologize that we failed to meet your expectations. We understand your frustration and your observations are being addressed as part of our ongoing room renovation project. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly in an effort to further discuss your recent stay with us.

Bertrand Newson

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Seasider in Scunthorpe
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Great little hotel in the heart of San Fransisco. Very near to Union Square with its great shops, restaurants & bars. (Lefty's round the corner especially recommended!). My wife & I stayed here for 3 nights at the start of a tour of California. The reception was excellent & the hotel gave an great 1st impression. It is compact & our room was too! It did, however, have all you would want (good sized comfy bed, good shower, big walk in wardrobe, clean & tidy etc). Breakfast was not included (morning coffee was) but there are numerous diners on the doorstep. I would definately recommend the King George for a San Fran visit.

2 Thank Tangerinebiker
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Even at a discounted rate of $200/night, which I think is a lot, I expected more. This place is so old with no amenities. My room was on an alley-way shared by restaurants below. The noise of the loud talking and throwing of glass bottles into the trash over and over throughout the night kept me up most of the night. The sink had no water pressure and the bed was pretty used up and sagged. It seemed clean enough, but everything was well worn in the room.

I'd certainly never to there again.

Room Tip: If you must stay there, make sure to request a room off the alley
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Laura S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

So when you first pull up to this place, you notice thats its very tall, and very GREEN, I immediately loved it, yes I am English and yes it had Union Jacks flying outside, I will admit to booking this partly because of the english feel it gave off on its website.
Its quite an old feeling look about the place, its being redecorated as we speak, though you wouldn't notice it, no noise, no mess, just the odd ladder and workmen being around.
Reception were friendly, the porters fast and the rooms when we got there, it was pretty good for this city, large, big windows that opened (an odd feature believe me) huge comfy bed, immaculately clean and the bathroom well stocked up, for me I couldn't complain.
The location was great, 5 minutes from Union Square, lots of diners near to you (one right next to it in fact) around the corner lots of bars, places to eat, SB, galleries, shops, what more could you ask for from a location.
I would recommend this hotel to couples, young and old, families too, its just a great place, local to lots of things and the staff were great, reasonable rates and tidy large rooms.
I will be staying here again no doubt when I come again !!!

Room Tip: I had a kind sized deluxe room, great all around, worth the little extra I paid.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
KingGeorgeMgr, General Manager at King George Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Alan S,
We appreciate your recent stay with us! I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed our spacious rooms with windows that open to let in fresh air, our efficient and friendly staff, and our central location near Union Square for shopping, dining, art galleries, and entertainment. Thank you for recommending our hotel and we look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.