One of the best experiences my wife and I have had, and although we don’t travel and write reviews for a living, we have stayed at places all over the world (Barcelona, London, Chicago, Morocco, Venice, Rome, Ireland, etc). My wife and I booked the King George Hotel for us and about 80 of our guests to stay for our wedding in Sonoma (we charter bused to the venue the day of wedding). This hotel was fantastic for a number of reasons, so I will just list them:
First, location, location, location. One block from Union Square, a central part of downtown San Francisco with great shopping. Also, nearby where you hop on the trolley and Chinatown is around the corner. And the public transportation is only a couple blocks away (which is very efficiently run in San Francisco). You could take the BART from the airport to a stop two blocks away from the hotel (or they also have a shuttle). Thus, you are in a prime location to experience great shopping and food, without ever having to rent a car.
Second, friendly staff. Everybody behind the desk at the concierge was amazing. After they met you once they remembered your name (maybe this is because we were the party with 100 people). Regardless, they always took care of your needs, whether it be best place to rent a car, good places to eat, need an additional room, etc. By way of just one example, one of our guests missed the charter bus from the hotel to the venue in Sonoma on the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge. Within 10 minutes the concierge, Elliot, had our guests hooked up with a rental car at an amazing rate (and they managed to make it for the nuptials). Drew, the bartender, was a definite hit with half of our guests. All in all, our guests could NOT stop raving about the friendly hotel staff.
Third, good rooms. They are typically smaller rooms, probably best described as quaint and European. But they are nice, clean, and typically quiet despite being located downtown. But when you’re in San Francisco, you’re probably spending most of your time out in the city anyway.
Fourth, great price. The rooms might be smaller, but I got just an amazing rate. Our wedding fell on the same weekend as Gay Pride Weekend, so you can imagine how high many of the rates were because of the high occupancy. But Hotel King George gave us a price that was almost half of every other hotel located in the same area (and we checked just about every hotel). I mean, if price is not a consideration for you, you can pay over 3 times as much and get a great room at the Westin St. Francis right around the corner for $369.00 a night. But if you want to keep it low and still retain value, King George Hotel is the way to go.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The King George Hotel is ideally located just steps from Union Square, seconds from San Francisco’s world-class shopping, dining and theatre. The hotel is two blocks from the historic Powell Street Cable Car line and a short walk or taxi ride to Moscone Convention Center, Civic Center, Sony Metreon, Yerba Buena Gardens, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art and the Financial District. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Priceline, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your King George Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- King George San Francisco
- Hotel King George
- King George Hotel San Francisco