“Good position” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #195 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Bologna, Italy
“Good position”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

My friends and I stayed in this hotel 3 nights. The hotel is clean even if quite old. Rooms are not so big and the beds are terribly soft. However, receptionist were all kind, free wi-fi connection was available and the position is perfect for visiting San Francisco (day and night)!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank laraq85

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went on a roadtrip for my birthday and we stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. I was a little skeptical about this hotel and it's rate of $89 but I was surprised to find a very clean room, clean bathroom, cozy bed and fairly new appliances. The Tv, however looked brand new and has a broad selection of channels (Not that we stayed in and not enjoy the fabulous weather out!)

For lunch the day after check-in, we decided to venture out. The person at the front desk was the manager and he had been very helpful. If you walk a couple of blocks north on Polk St., you will discover a broad selection of restaurants. Some had outdoor patios, and if you go farther , you will see the Cable Car line. At night, the street turns into a location for night life.

During our whole stay, we discovered how centralized everything is! Union Square is a 5min bus ride or a fifteen min walk from the hotel. Fisherman's Wharf is a 20min bus ride, the Civic Center was a 15 min walk. We also found a 24 hour fitness 2 blocks away (this is a whole different review). Great location!

All in all, if you're looking for an affordable, cozy hotel away from the hustle bustle of tourists but still close enough to wander about, I recommend this hotel! The manager is new and had told us about the new management so we'll be expecting more good stuff on our next visit.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lady_runningtheworld
San Jose, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Reservation at the Monarch Friday, 2/14 - Monday, 2/17. We were literally locked out of the hotel early Monday morning. We could see through the glass front door that there was no one at the front desk. No one came to let us inside when we rang the buzzer, and the hotel phone number kept going to voicemail. After waiting outside in the cold for OVER TWO HOURS, someone finally came out to let us in. It was obvious he had been sleeping in the back somewhere because he stumbled to the door and then tripped over his own feet. He even had the nerve to doubt that we had been waiting for such a long time. It was 7 am when we were finally let inside the hotel, and our check out was at 11 am. When I requested a late check out, I was told I'd need to pay a half day charge. That was the most ridiculous response I expected considering the hotel LOCKED THE FRONT DOOR ON US. I will never stay here again, and will never recommend this terrible place.

Room Tip: Park next door at the auto shop. They charge $25/day, whereas the hotel charges $26 for valet-only.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank edo408

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

For a Hotel in this class it is okay, our room was cleaned properly, which to me is the most inportant criterion. If you visit it, be aware that it is old, service is available but not very friendly sometimes, coffee is for free but I really do not recommend to drink it... But hey - what do you expect from 2 stars?! My feeling was that the area is safe, and you can walk in 15 minutes to the Union Square or to Poweel Street (BART Train Station). Van Ness Street is around the corner, which is part of Freeway 101, so also by car you have a good connection.

Résumé: okay for a cheap and short stay in SFO!

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking room!!!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Susanne S
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel because of the 'value' and had only read the reviews on the Hotels.com site. I should known better!!! Even here, on Trip Advisor, I don't see how ANYONE could rate this hotel higher than a 2 at best!

I agree with everyone who mentioned 'the smell' ... It smells like each room has been heavily doused with old-fashioned Lysol in attempt to mask something much more odiferous.

The bathroom was reasonably clean with good water pressure, which is rare in an older SF Hotel. The room, on the other hand, was dingy and the carpet was simply nasty. I wore my shower shoes the entire time.

The T.V. Remote did not work and the channels were exceedingly limited.

As for the neighborhood, I knew ahead of time that I was booking in the Tenderloin; however, our room was on the first floor with a view of Myrtle street so I was treated to people smoking crack and a woman 'relieving herself' on the curb directly across the street. Let's just say that the curtains remained closed.

The real kicker is that all of that happened in just the first night and we are stuck here another night according to reservation policies - and the fact that it is a holiday weekend. We will just spend as much of the day OUTSIDE the hotel as possible.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AmyKolbTucker
St. John's, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

the hotel was clean. it was located next to a lot of the places we wanted to visit...but other than that, i wouldn't recommend it. the 3-4 homeless people outside are NOT a big deal . They were not violent or anything, just mostly hanging out and sitting around. Nothing to worry about. The area isn't terrible, If you've been to sf before, you know this. It's very close to union square and a qucik little walk to japantown or chinatown.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peggyandmiketaylor
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

When we arrived from a long drive from LA we were not greeted I had to say hello and inform them I had a reservation and hardly got 2 words out of the guy.. When we got to our rooms the shower had hair in it... The rooms were outdated. NO HAIRDRYER and when my friend found one in his room the next day after the maid came it it had disappeared!!!
The WI FI connection was terrible we had to sit near the door to use it or go to the lobby.
Parking was expensive compared to the standards of the hotel. $24 a night.
No kettle in the room so had to go downstairs to the lobby.
Then on our way out one night we asked the receptionist if he could call us a cab and he told us to just hail one! When we persisted he pretended to dial a number then put the phone down. It took us ages to hail a cab!
Overall I wasn't very happy with the customer service or the facilities and think that there are more upto date and more welcoming hotels.

• Stayed September 2013