“So clinical it could almost be a hospital”

Hotel Nikko San Francisco
Ranked #32 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
France
“So clinical it could almost be a hospital”
Reviewed 5 May 2009

When we decided to take a family vacation in San Francisco we searched unusually long for a good deal, namely a decent room in a good hotel at an acceptable price. This is apparently a challenge in this city but eventually we found what looked like a great location and a good hotel. Many of the hotels that we had looked at had poor reviews and the Nikko had a fairly high score. If you are looking for a clean hotel with a strong minimalist theme then the Nikko may be for you but we would caution that minimalist appears to have been taken to an extreme. Minimalist should not mean soulless. The lobby is dead, bland and empty. The hotel bar closed. The staff professional yet not very friendly. When we have stayed in other hotels, such as the Hyatt or Hilton the staff eventually recognise you if you are staying over a few days. That may not appeal to some but it adds a human touch, the Nikko staff were almost robotical. In the Nikko by day 7 of attending breakfast they almost recognised us. Hard to notice a family of four! Whilst it may be hard to fault the Nikko's rooms which are comfortable I guess the best way to describe our experience is an ok hotel, in a great location with no soul. A true test is always to ask would you go back and in our case the clear answer would be no. There must be better hotels that offer a good room but with a touch of life and a staff that occasionally show a human touch.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Palos Verdes, California
Reviewed 28 April 2009

I made my reservation over the internet, and got a 30% discount. So I upgraded to a Nikko room, on the 20th floor. No street noise at night. Large flat panel TV, and a choice of relaxing music CDs for the sound system. Large bathroom, very comfortable bed. Quick room service, excellent food. Very attentive staff at breakfast buffet. What's not to like?

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
San Jose
Reviewed 13 April 2009

We 1st stayed in February for Valentines Day and had the worst room/service ever. From the valet to the front desk. SO in return they said come back and your next stay is free on us. We decided to go back the next month for my 30th birthday and the not only were we charged me for my stay they also doubles charged my CC twice for room service. It has taken over a month now to get a phone call back to settle these disputes.I'm just going to take it to the better business bureu. AWFUL PLACE! WILL NEVER GO THERE AGAIN!!!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lindsay79
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2009

Fantastic hotel, very good location and minutes away from Union Square. If I return to San Francisco, I would stay here again and again.

Rooms are spacious, fresh and very clean and the bathrooms are massive.

If you are on a budget, don't eat here though - Breakfasts are a tad pricey, but I must admit very, very fresh

The staff are faultless and well bend over backwards to help even if they have to go out of the way to complete it.

I would go as far as to say our stay was faultless.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Mailman_8
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 13 March 2009

I've stayed here twice on business, once for a week in March 2007, and once for a week in February 2008. My first stay was much better than my second, so I'm not sure that I'd recommend the hotel, or choose it for myself.

Pros:
-The location is excellent, walking distance to shopping, restaurants, and the convention centre. The rooms are nice, and fairly clean.

-I came down with the flu that was going around, and front desk found out I was sick and sent me complimentary soup and tea. I was really impressed by this.

Cons:
-Room service food is okay. The breakfast is terrible and I would avoid. The dinner from the onsite restaurant (Anzu) was okay, a little over-rated to be honest. Had much better meals at restaurants in San Fran. Wouldn't eat at the hotel if I could avoid it.

-The $10 a day fee to use the fitness centre is ridiculous. And the gym isn't that great considering you have to pay for it. The $1.50 newspaper charge is also annoying.

-My biggest complaint though comes from my second stay. The room I had on my first stay was extremely quiet. On my second stay, I was on one of the lower floors (somewhere between 5-10) and it was HORRIBLE. There was a bus stop/loading dock outside my window, and I heard loud beeping every couple of minutes for 10-15 seconds all day and all night (2-6am was the only time it would stop). If you're not planning to spend time in your hotel, or don't need to get much sleep, then you'll be fine, but for my next business trip I will refuse to stay on that side of the building, on a lower floor.

Hope this helps!

• Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
boston, MA
Reviewed 12 March 2009

I just spent 2 days at the Hotel Nikko. It is a beautiful hotel, convenient location, however as a business traveler I depend on being able to plug in and have reliable interenet connection. The hotel Nikko charges $15.00 a day to access their wireless system which simply does not work. When I called to complain they offered a "bridge" option that they claimed would fix my problem, it did not. When I checked out I complained again hoping at the very least they would remove the $30.00 charge, which they would not. So in short, it is a wonderful hotel if you don't need to work, but as a business traveler, be aware you will spend more time offline or trying to get online than you will actually working.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed 8 March 2009

I'm usually weary when I read a reviewer who gives away so many 5*'s in their review but this should be believed. Stayed in an executive suite which was amazing. TV in the bathroom and main room, great views, separate shower and bath. Staff were very friendly and helped out a lot at ordering local takeaways. Breakfast was nice but never ate dinner in the hotel as it is a sushi restuaraunt.
Would def recommend.