“Fabulous hotel; fantastic service, friendly personnel!”

Hotel Nikko San Francisco
Ranked #32 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Brookings, Oregon
“Fabulous hotel; fantastic service, friendly personnel!”
Reviewed 3 November 2009

The front desk personnel were extremely polite and made me feel important. All the hotel staff were very accomodating. The hotel is not far from Union Square and is perfectly centrally located, not far from the infamous Powell Street cable car, BART and Muni. The interior, complete with a waterfall along the steps leading down from the lobby to the O'Farrell Street entrance was serene. The view of the city from my room (on the 18th floor) was spectacular in the morning and evening (sunrise and sunset). I definitely recommend this hotel for business or leisure travel and am happy I had the chance to stay there during my recent trip to SF.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (567)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 25 October 2009

We booked a two-night stay via Hotwire as our first try ever with the online booking site. It was our "big citiy" interlude between a week in Napa/Mendocino and a trip to Lake Tahoe. When we arrived -- earlier than check-in, time I might add -- we were treated cordially and efficiently by the front desk personnel. She confiremd our reservation and let us know what kind of room we had -- a "queen" room. She let us know that we could upgrade for $20/night to a more spacious "king" room. This was a no-brainer, given the low, low rate we'd secured on hotwire. Our king room turned out to be a corner room on the 12th floor -- full of light streaming in from two directions, and high enough above our neighbor buildings that there was no need to close the drapes! Everything exuded luxe -- this, after a week in some too-idiosyncratic B&Bs! Staff was friendly throughout -- from front desk, to concierge, to bar, to cleaning staff encountered in the halls. Bed was terrific, the roomy bath a pleasure. Great location -- a block off Union Square. When I reported items missing in the mini-bar, so as not to be charged for them, housekeeping said they'd take care of it. When the items appeared on our bill, I simply told the front desk they weren't our charges and they instantly removed the charges. Our stay made us big fans of Nikko Hotels.

We are big fans of cabaret, and the Nikko has a room with headliners. Sorry we didin't get a chance to sample it.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Atlanta
Reviewed 19 October 2009

The hotel is very nice, and in a good location for a tourist, Union Square. The room was nice but really small, and not much closet space. I was by myself in the room so it was fine, but I don't know how more than one person stays in the room. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was nice. The bar has a good happy our which is nice.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank mrolfes
Santa Cruz, CA
Reviewed 19 October 2009

I had hoped that Hotel Nikko would be a nicer hotel. I booked my room months in advance so I could spend the night before running in the San Francisco Women's Marathon.

My room was very small with no view. The bathroom and furniture were nice, but the rug was tattered and stained, walls had dirty marks, and the room smelled musty. The bed was comfortable with nice sheets and pillows.

The worst part was that someone started pounding on the door of my hotel room at 2 am. I tried to ignore it, but the knocking continued. I finally got up and checked the peephole and saw a woman outside who appeared to be crying with her face buried in her hands. I yelled through the door to go away, that she had the wrong room. The woman then tried to engage in a conversation to try to get me to open the door. I wasn't going to participate in that BS so again I yelled through to door for her to go away. She then started screaming that I was a horrible person who doesn't care if someone is getting raped or murdered outside my door. Yeah, as if that makes me want to open a stranger in the middle of the night.

I immediately called the front desk to have security come check things out. I never heard anything back from the hotel/security. I asked the front desk a couple different times about the incident, but no one seemed to know anything and didn't seem to particularly care.

I had a hard time getting any sleep the rest of the night as I realized that someone was trying to set me up to rob me in my hotel room in the middle of the night. I will never go back to this hotel, ever.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
4 Thank Sweetflowers
sebastopol, ca
Reviewed 18 October 2009

We booked our room through a site that had the word "cheapo" in its name-- so that should tell you something about the level of room we got--- probably the worst and smallest. Still, it was clean and bright and had a good tv and decent desk. They are pet friendly--- and by that i mean that they do not charge a bogus nonrefundable deposit of any kind. (though we did sign a paper stating that we would give them all our worldly possessions if the dog did any damage.) I think there is a weight limit on pets that they accept.

The location could not be better-- right at the downtown area, and not too far into the tenderloin. There are several non-hotel parking choices on surrounding blocks for about $25 which includes the huge city tax.

While our room was tiny and i must fault them for having no lights near enough to the bed to turn them off without getting up... the bed was very cozy and the air conditioning was quiet and very effective. As others have said, the staff is very kind and, though we were in a very inexpensive room, they treated us as if we were valued guests.
The Nikko has an awkward approach to the lobby-- but once there, it is lovely and peaceful. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Copenhagen
Reviewed 17 October 2009

We got a really good price on hotwire and when we turned up and asked for a baby crip the very nice man at front desk frowned a bit : " Well, you have been booked a queen size room and it is very tiny. i don't think it can fit a baby crip. I will book you a king room instead free of charge."
Wauw. That's five star costumer service for you. The rest of the hotel is four star:-)
By the way ....very nice concierge who found a microwawe to the baby food.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
Slepster
Reviewed 14 October 2009

We had a "Nikko Floor" room, which I believe was slightly larger than standard room. Was fine for 4 of us. Came with free wifi, a great breakfast buffet and access to the health club and pool. Service was fine and location was great. Tops for convenience, with a Starbucks and Enterprise car rental right in the hotel. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family