“Nice Hotel-Nice Location”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Hollywood, Florida
“Nice Hotel-Nice Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

I stayed at the Serrano a few weeks ago for a conference a few blocks away. While the hotel's neighborhood isn't perfect, it's nice, safe and central to pretty much everything. Market Street, Union Square, Mission Street, trolleys, plenty of shopping and restaurants were within easy walking distance. Staff was friendly and helpful and the on site restaurant had good food and service as well. I'd definitely stay there on a future trip to SF.

1 Thank Jaldrichl
Jpagoadacruz, Front Office Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Dear Jaldrichl,

I read your review and I am happy to find out that you enjoyed your time with us, hopefully you'll get to come visit us again soon... a little less "for work" and a little more "for fun" maybe? :)

We hope to see you soon

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hertfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

I recently completed a 12 night stay at this hotel for a business trip. It was selceted by a colleague and I will admit it would not have been my first choice. The location is good and I followed the advice of other reviewers and the hotel front desk to avoid the streets that led directly down to Market Street as the area is a little dubious. I noticed other reviewers saying that the hotel service and staff were not friendly. In the 12 days there I did not find this at all. In my dealings with the front desk staff they were always helpful and curtious. If the lobby area was not busy I was usually greeted warmly by the staff on duty.

The little extras that I have not found at more expensive hotels in the area were most welcome. I made good use of the free wi-fi and was pleased with the coffee/tea available in the lobby during the morning. As I was there on business, my shcedule did not allow me to take advantage of the hosted wine hour.

I'd recomend asking for a room on the east facing side of the hotel on one of the higher floors (rooms 10-16 I think). My room was one of these and on clear days the morning sunshine was very welcome once I had opened the curtains. It was also good to be able to open the room windows as many hotels seem to rely solely on air conditioning.

I used the attached bar/restaurant for one breakfast and one evening meal. I thought that there were better options available locally and the food was a little oily for my taste.

Overall a pleasant stay and I would consider re-booking in the future.

Room Tip: Try the east facing rooms on the upper floors for morning sunshine.
2 Thank Hen_Staff_4
Jpagoadacruz, Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Dear LEC_LGC,

I am extremely pleased to read your review and find out that you enjoyed your time with us - we are a friendly bunch aren't we? :) And I agree, our high floors do get a lot of sunlight, which I particularly enjoy as well.

I hope that we can be your host again soon, if I can be of personal assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

I was in San Francisco to celebrate my birthday, and was happy to get an excellent rate at The Serrano. The hotel itself was a great place to stay as it was well situated for exploring San Francisco, and had many, many easily accessible transit routes. I was able to take BART in from the airport, and able to take transit to go to the Japanese Tea Garden, Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 33 (for an Alcatraz tour), and transit to and from restaurants at night. The Serrano is within easy walking distance to Union Square, and all the shopping and dining that area has to offer. A quick trip down Taylor (be warned, it doesn't take a long walk to get into the heart of the Tenderloin) took us to our favourite brunch place, Dotties on several mornings.

All of the staff was friendly and helpful, however I'd like to mention that the concierge named Stephan was amazing. When asked for walking instructions to the shops on Union Street (not Union Square), he suggested a great route along Polk where we were able to avoid marching up and down hills, and able to stop into a number of great shops along the way. When we complimented him on the excellent route the next morning, he told us it was his wife's favourite wandering route as well.

Our room was lovely, and had a great number of electrical outlets. This might seem a strange thing to mention, but as someone who travels with an iphone, ipad, chargable camera batteries, and an ereader - it's amazing how many times I'm at a hotel with no where to charge my electronics without unplugging lamps, tv's or mini fridges! Way to go Serrano! :) The Serrano also placed me on a higher floor - which was much appreciated. A lovely view from the 16th floor.

This is my 3rd stay at a Kimpton property, the other two were Ink48 in NYC and the Argonaut, also in SF. Of the 3 Kimptons I've stayed at, I'd rate this hotel as my second favourite after ink48. ink48 edges out the Serrano as the staff at ink48 went out of their way to provide me with a fantastic experience for my birthday last year (complimentary sparkling wine and pastries sent to my room, many suggestions of places to go celebrate, front desk recognizing me each time I came past, etc.); it was also my birthday when I stayed at the Serrano, and no special fuss was made for me. I guess this is the difference between a New York hotel, and one just about anywhere else in the world! :)

That being said, this certainly is a place I'd stay again the next time I head to San Francisco! The Argonaut is also fantastic, but as it's right on the Wharf, it is a little more difficult to manage as a base to explore the city.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Jpagoadacruz, Front Office Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Dear charmingdelusion,

Thanks for swinging by and commenting about your stay with us, isn't Stepan just so genuine? We love him! I will make sure to pass your comments on to him. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us and I hope we would have made a more lasting memory with your birthday celebration.

I hope that you'll come back and visit us soon. Let me know if I can assist with anything.

Regards, and Happy Birthday!!
Champaign, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

I am not sure what problems recent reviewers experienced but on a second trip here this year and also as a regular returning visitor, I do not see any noticeable changes in quality or staff attitude. In fact I booked this trip as a birthday break and received a wonderful gift bag plus sparkling wine and desert in the restaurant downstairs. The Jaspers staff went out of their way to make the visit enjoyable and were extremely courteous. However, I would like to see a wider selection of wines at the evening wine reception, not all visitors are able to enjoy the limited selection on offer. Raid the minibar and free internet are a boon to business travelers.

Jpagoadacruz, Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Dear R_V_travel_11,

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your birthday celebration with us- and thanks for your kind comments!

We are always happy to welcome you back. Happy birthday!

Brea, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012 via mobile

A friend and I stayed at this hotel for one night. It was a girls getaway and we had a great time. The room was a decent size and the staff were friendly. They have a great complimentary wine hour each night. The only downside is the cost of parking and the neighborhood. Just one block away it gets pretty iffy at night. We had to put another friend in a cab just to go two blocks to her car at night because we didn't feel safe walking. Overall, I would stay there again.

Stayed April 2012
2 Thank rcopeland14
Jpagoadacruz, Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Dear rcopeland14,

Thanks for stopping by and commenting about your stay, I am very pleased that you had a fun girls getaway.

We hope that you'll be doing a lot more of those, it's always good to have fun! If I can ever be of personal assistance, please feel free to contact me directly.

Campbell, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

A convenient location for the theater district with all the quality and friendly service you'd expect from a Union Square hotel. Once you step inside the Serrano you'll never know you're in the Tenderloin. But still an easy walk to places like the Great American Music Hall (awesome place to see a show btw). And if you'd like to avoid the street shenanigans it's easy to find a cab. < $10 cab fare to Fisherman's Wharf.

Yes, parking is expensive. But this is San Francisco, parking is expensive everywhere. Either take the train in to the city or know that you're going to have to budget for parking.

Be sure to check-in in time to enjoy their daily wine reception in the lobby from 5-6pm. Great way to start off the evening.

Overall, I recommend the Serrano and will stay there again.

Room Tip: Higher floors will have less street noise. Check for discounts on king rooms and suites - you'll...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank chiz147
Jpagoadacruz, Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear chiz147,

Thank you so much for stopping by our Tripadvisor page and leaving such kind comments - I am thrilled you enjoyed your time with us. I will have to say though, we are still in the Union Square district, our neighbors in the Tenderloin wouldn't take us in... haha.

Hope to see you back soon.

Manager.
Dallas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

The Serrano was a great boutique hotel a few years ago, but time and neglect from Kimpton have tarnished its reputation. When I first visited a few years ago, the property was immaculate and had great service. The desk and bell/valet staff was great. I don't know what happened in those three years, but Kimpton just seems to have written off the property and the service levels.

The most helpful person of all was the doorman/bellman on the second shift. He was sharp, helpful with assistance and directions and overall a great person. The same cannot be said of the desk staff, who seemed overall uninterested in doing anything more than standing behind the desk acting like they were sedated. It took me several calls and I finally had to physically come down to take care of two problems in my room that the desk staff didn't even acknowledge until the valet reminded them to call someone. Sorry, but the Serrano is just not that large or busy enough of a hotel to have such a complete lack of attention to guest needs.

The hotel itself needs a refresh, and the room was small, dingy and quite noisy. The room itself was only slightly larger than the bed, and it felt like I was staying in a pop-up trailer most of the time. The hotel is in a dodgy area at the edge of the Tenderloin, so you could not go out at night unless you were in a group.

Overall, the experience was definitely not worth the money. The only reason I gave the hotel three stars was due to the great second shift valet. If I had to rate it solely on the desk staff, I would have asked for negative stars.

Room Tip: Tell them you want a room with a bathtub.
1 Thank DGfromDallas
Jpagoadacruz, Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear DGfromDallas,

Ouch – sounds like we really blew it. I am so sorry! You should always receive the level of service you expect during your stay with us. I really thank you for taking the time to give us feedback; we take honest comments from people like you very seriously. It pains us to hear the not-so good stuff, but it helps us learn and improve!

I hope that you will give us an opportunity to regain your trust. If I can ever be of assistance, please feel free to reach out to me directly.

Manager.