“It's not ALL about the gold fish.”
Review of Serrano Hotel

Serrano Hotel
Ranked #93 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Let me start by saying that I am a big fan of Kimpton in general. They have a great niche in the boutique hotel biz and they execute their plan very well. Fun and funky decor, super friendly and accommodating staff and charming little "extras" to make your stay so much more personable than a larger chain hotel. The Serrano is all of those things and more.

We checked in earlier than the posted time without a problem and were warmly greeted by Kathryn. I asked what it might look like to stay Saturday night too and she was able to honor the AAA rate I had-which was about $50 less than her computer was telling her. AND I had reserved a room with one bed because that's all I could get via their website but Kathryn hooked us up with two doubles. Score, score and score. Go Kathryn!!!

I love a company that allows it's employees to make decisions on behalf of their customers. Maybe that empowerment is part of what makes the Kimpton staff so eager to please?! My daughter really, really wanted a gold fish in the room and Kathryn arranged to send one up.

Up to the 11th floor to our room which was clean and tidy and comfortable. Yes it was small-ish but it's San Francisco. The rooms look just like the do on the website. The only thing I can say remotely negative is that the white base boards were a little banged up. But with suitcases being dragged in and out of the room on a daily basis. . . how can they really keep them freshly painted. There was a yo-yo and an etcha-sketch on the mini bar and a menu of other games you could have sent up. I happen to be the world champion player of Candy Land, but I had shopping to do. Candy Land would have to wait for another occasion.

(Join Kimpton rewards for free wi-fi and a ten dollar discount in the mini bar or bar)

We shopped until about 5 and arrived back just in time for wine hour! It was a little different from the wine receptions at other Kimpton hotels, where the guests kind of mingle around, but that is due to the configuration of the lobby. It is a series of small seating areas, all of which were full so I took my glass of red up to our room and the fish was there!!!

Let me just say this about the fish. When you have spent the day shopping in one of the most beautiful cities in the world and you are starting to get the feeling that your almost sixteen year old might be just a little too spoiled. . . .to see how happy she was at the sight of a two dollar gold fish. ..completely warmed my heart. Her face just lit up! Again, Kathryn does not disappoint!

We changed our clothes and went to Union Square to watch the tree lighting and of course, more shopping. . .around 8:30 the kid hits the wall of hunger and fatigue. I pulled out my phone and made a 9:00 open table reservation at the hotel restaurant, Jasper's Corner Tap. Our server Steph was ON IT. I explained that my kid was done and she had fries on that table within minutes. Kid revived, drinks on the table yummy yummy burgers. Outstanding! On to a great nights sleep!

The next morning on our way out we saw an employee in the hallway and I asked about fish food and she said she would call housekeeping to attend to him. When we returned later I could tell that housekeeping had been there but couldn't tell if the fish had been fed, I didn't want him to die on my watch, so on our way out to dinner I stopped at the front desk to ask . The nice guy said they really only eat every couple of days (and now I know why I have accidentally killed my fair share of gold fish), I said OK but I was still worried. MUCH MUCH MUCH later that night we walked back through past the front desk and I was handed an envelope with my room number on it and the envelope contained. . . .wait for it. . . .
FISH FOOD!!

Thank you for a great weekend, a beautiful hotel, outstanding service and attention to detail. It would have been a wonderful stay even without the fish. But do get the fish. Ok I won't talk about it any more.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Pamxoxo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,892)

Reviewed 6 December 2013

This is our first experience with a Kimpton property and it didn't disappoint. The staff was first rate and the lobby was very tastefully done. The check-in/check-out process was a breeze and the concierge was right on point with all his recommendations.

The room was well stocked with all the amenities and some, like a yoga mat and umbrella, might be uniquely San Francisco. A nice bonus was something called a "Bizzi Bag" for our daughter - a little paper bag with crayons, a coloring book and some random activities.

As noted in other reviews the property is older and has seen its fair share of visitors and that's taken a tole on the place. Chipped paint, scuff marks and peeling wall paper were all evident in our room, however this DOES NOT mean the room wasn't clean - it was spotless.

The location is fine so long as you don't take a wrong turn. Make a right out the door and a left at the corner and all will be good. The on site restaurant and bar was great and directly across the street is a magic show dinner theater that is ranked as the #2 attraction in the city - The Marrakech Magic Theater. We didn't have time on this trip to make a show, but it's just right there. Also near by is plenty of parking (for an exorbitant fee) and a liquor store/mini mart.

A note on the parking lot that is right next door to the hotel. Our Jeep was parked just at the edge of the exit ramp right by the street. This was convenient if we needed to get something out, but with the number of vagrants in the area it's not a safe place. The lot attendant told us to make sure we had everything out or hidden because he had to twice chase people off before they broke in. I don't know if they would do it, but next time I'm going to ask that my car not be parked there.

Room Tip: It's located on a busy street so ask for as high a room as you can get.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Brad S
Reviewed 6 December 2013

The hotel is a bit less glossy as other Kimptons; it is more old world feeling. We had a great corner suite with views towards both bridges.

The hotel can use a freshening but was clean, comfortable and we spent 5 nights and were very comfortable. There was an issue with the shower head and they fixed it promptly.

We were celebrating my husband's birthday and they had some goodies in the room for him - always a nice Kimpton touch!

I needed something printed off of my iPad and the front desk went out of their way to help me get this done.

As others have said, you do need to pay attention to which way you walk upon exiting the hotel but we had no issues.

Kimptons are our #1 choice of hotels; this one is another reason why!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2013

The Serrano had what you expect from Kimpton - clean, pleasing decor, friendly desk staff, wine hour. There is a reason it is the least expensive Kimpton in SF - the location, while close to Union Square, is a bit of a dicey area. There are clear signs the place needs some renovation - paint chipping, etc., our room was super small - although that happens in the boutique hotels. We were not unhappy with out stay, but will choose a different Kimpton on our next visit!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This is the 5th Kimpton Hotel we've had the peasure of visiting. Of all the Kimptons this was the oldest, however still very charming. We were given a free upgrade to a King suite. The space and views were fabulous. The furniture was a bit dated and worn, but it didn't bother us at all. The lobby was stunning and a perfect place for their complimentary wine hour and meeting new friends.
We did have a problem in the bathroom, the toilet backing up, however they were very quick to repsond and handle it. The location was fairly convenient to Union Square, but in one direction was a very sketchy neighborhood that you'd want to avoid.
The service was 5 star, always friendly and welcoming, yet not stuffy at all. I think this hotel is an excellent value.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Stayed for 4 nights in November. Excellent location. The room was clean, decent size and well maintained. The mini bar was well stocked.The noise level was very low. The staff was extremely accomodating and friendly. In my opinon they made an average hotel an above average experience. Afternoon wine at 5 was an awesome touch after a long day of conferences. My only complaint would be my view, of which there was none, except the brickwall next door. However, since this was business, I really can't complain.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The location is great with easy access to cable car stops and walking distance to the main San Fran sights.

The hotel is decent, our bathroom had a leak and they seamlessly moved us during the day without any fuss

The bar is very good but was a little too lively if you want a quiet drink, but this could have just been the night we tried it

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple