“Pleasant Stay”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Cairns, Australia
“Pleasant Stay”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The hotel is in a great location where there is plenty of things to do in a short walking distance. It's definately a lot easier to get a pass to get on the cable car, buses and rail to make it easier to get around. The standard room was clean and tidy but very small which wasn't a problem for me but if you like your space this place might not be for you. I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Jenny K, Guest Relations Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Chris,
Thank you for telling us about your great stay at our hotel. Your transportation tips are fantastic, and we know future guests will be grateful. We can’t wait to see you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Great lobby, morning coffee free, rooms are okay too. Across the street from hotel are most rental car agencies so no reason to pay to park rental cars, turn them in and take them back when you need them. Hotel valet was $55, garage right across the street $30 a night, down more $20.
Best surprise was the restaurant at the hotel, a young professional watering hole in the evenings
and a free breakfast in the mornings.Two blocks to streetcar line and Union Square.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank bernie777
Jenny K, Guest Relations Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Bernie,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at our hotel. Your parking tips are wonderful and we know future guests will also be grateful, thank you. We are very happy that you were able to enjoy our restaurant, Jasper’s Corner Tap and Kitchen. It is great to hear that you fully enjoyed the food and atmosphere. We hope to see you again you next visit San Francisco.
pismo beach
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Great staff ! Friendly excellent service no long lines like big hotels Trey the door man was excellent he went out of his way when I thought I lost my wallet which I found
Coffee and tea service with organic coffee and local tea
Even soy milk ! Only drawback are the rooms are small but well equipped and very quite decent city light views and comfy beds

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank dynodiana
Jenny K, Guest Relations Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
It is fantastic to hear that our team, especially Trey, offered you exemplary service! We are thrilled that you loved your stay with us, and we hope to see you again the next time you visit San Francisco.
Redding, Connecticut
Reviewed 30 March 2014

The front desk was very helpful. The valet didn't seem to want to park my car so I brought it next door and parked it myself. It was about 1/2 price of the Valet - which was pointed out to me when I drove up. However, I would still have preferred the valet parking.

Room was small but perfectly okay. Towels are old and thin. TP is cheap as are the tissues. These things may not be important to you and if I'm only staying a night (which I was), they aren't too important to me either.

Hotel restaurant service is AWFUL. They are bothered if you ask for a beer and are more likely to be talking to their friends than waiting on tables. I ate at Japsers about a year ago and the food was worth the wait. This time it was not. It took about 20 additional minutes to get our Calamari that was ordered at the same time as our other apps. It looked like kitty litter and didn't taste much better.

If you want to save $$ and stay at the hotel for a night or two, you should. But you should walk somewhere else to eat. Way too many good restaurants in SFO to waste your money at Jaspers.

Back to the hotel:
I was holding a conference call from my room and when the shower on the floor above me started, it was so loud, I had to close the bathroom door. Also, each time the A/C/Heat turned on, it was very loud. Fine if you're just listening on a call but not good if you're leading one.

Finally, the ceiling was leaking in the morning in the lobby. Nothing like seeing a giant leak 4' away from where the coffee/tea is setup. It seemed to be taken care of within an hour or so but thought it was worth mentioning.

To those upset about the $20 fee - get over it. I'm not thrilled about it and never used their Wifi but there are so many hidden fees at every hotel all they've done is simplify it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank DonnaF14
Donna, we sincerely apologize that you were not happy with your recent stay at our hotel or your visit to Jasper’s Corner Tap and Kitchen. We would love for you to reach out to us personally at john.sevilla@serranohotel.com. We welcome the opportunity to make things right.
chicago
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I bought the room from Hotwire. Did not get a great deal but saved a few bucks..... Until the hotel decided to charge me an extra 20.00 a night for internet(did not use), Coffee and paper in lobby and workout room(did not use). Will not book this hotel again for that reason. 20.00 extra a night is a big rip off.. This was not a resort!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank singletrvl
Jenny K, Guest Relations Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
We are sorry our Urban Fee took you by surprise. For future reference; the Urban Fee is displayed just under the nightly rate on all online booking agents. The fee includes; morning coffee & tea in the lobby, morning newspaper, car service Mon thru Fri morning to the financial district, unlimited local calls and faxes, boarding pass printing, use of our bicycles, and VERY FAST high speed Wi-Fi throughout the hotel. We would love for you to reach out to us personally at john.sevilla@serranohotel.com. We welcome the opportunity to make things right.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I travel to San Francisco for work all the time and have been to a ridiculous number of hotels, most of which I really like. I went to the Serrano for the first time this week and I wouldn't consider going back. Here is an important detail you need to know. This hotel bills a $20 per night ‘Spa fee’ on top of your nightly stay. I saw that when I booked so it wasn’t a surprise. Upon check out I asked what this was for exactly because to the best of my knowledge this hotel didn’t have a spa or indeed a spa feel in any way. I was told that this was to cover the ‘free’ internet, the ‘free’ coffee and for access to an exercise room that we didn’t use and that no one even told us about when we checked in. When I pointed out that we were there for a conference and therefore not around enough to really use any of these services, we were told it didn’t matter and that the fee was used to subsidize these services for all guests. This is PREPOSTEROUS! Either build this into your nightly costs so your guests don’t have to know this or let your guests opt into paying for internet as they need it as other hotels do. Even at the most expensive hotels, a really fast connection is rarely over $17 per night. This wasn’t a fast connection and we paid $20 whether we used it or not. In the time we were there, the person I was traveling with had one cup of coffee and used the internet for 1 hour one night and we paid $120 in spa fees. You do the math on that. It was utterly galling. And on top of all that, neither myself nor the person I traveled with were able to sleep well at this hotel. Not sure if it was noise, or lack of comfy bed but it just wasn't easy to get a good night's sleep there.

As someone who stays in San Francisco hotels all the time, trust me. You can do better than the Serrano.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Amy D
Dear Amy,
Thank you for your comments. We don’t have a spa and the fee you’ve mentioned is called the “urban fee.” As you indicated, you learned of this the prior to your booking. The urban fee is displayed just under the nightly rate on all online booking agents. The fee includes; all you can drink coffee and tea every morning of your stay, morning newspaper, unlimited local calls and faxes, boarding pass printing, use of our bicycles, town car service 7 to 9 am, unlimited local calls and faxes, and VERY FAST high speed Wi-Fi. Most guests feel it is a fantastic value and I’m sorry to hear that you did not.
Vadodara, India
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Decent hotel. Restaurant is fine but very limited options for vegetarians. Deluxe room is quite small and bathroom is very congested. But if ur in San Francisco to roam around and need a place to crash at night, this place is just awesome.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We apologize that you found the vegetarian options limited at Jasper’s Corner Tap & Kitchen. We will take your comment into careful consideration as we strive to always improve, ande hope to see you again when you next visit our fantastic city!