“Good value & Location”

Ranked #79 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Bayfield, Colorado
“Good value & Location”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Stayed 4 nights with my adult daughter, great location near Union Sq. Lots of good restaurants within easy walk. Beautiful older hotel with lots of charm and character. We had a Junior Suite with 2 queen beds & jetted tub. The tub was very dated, but the bathroom was huge! Perfect for 2 women with double sinks and plenty of counter space. Nice bathrobes provided, as well. Toilet & bidet. The bedroom was very spacious L shape with desk, table & 2 chairs and one comfortable easy chair. Huge closet with hanging area and drawers behind double sliding mirrored doors. Also had a small kitchen off the bedroom with full size stove & frig, microwave, bar size sink, complete with glasses, plates etc. also small table & 2 chairs in the kitchen. The room is a bit dated, but clean and comfortable. The sliding doors to the closet were stuck and they sent someone up to fix it, but it was still difficult to use. Most of the front desk staff was very friendly and helpful with local info. They have a free wine and cheese hour in the afternoon and free continental breakfast. I've definitely seen better continental breakfasts, but it was adequate. No safes in the rooms but you can easily use a safe at the front desk. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank swedenamerican

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

Walking distance to the peer (I like walking so it's quite subjective) as well as surrounded by restaurants. Size of the double room was impressive. I was surprised/impressed with the toilet which looked very classy. Obviously this is not new hotel but I have to admit that it is being look after very well. Room was very clean. Breakfast downstairs was kind of experience as it is in reception and every body sits where they can as there is not enough chairs. Kind of weird but in a good way as long as you are not demanding 5star service while paying so few. Only down side was quite (twice as told) long wait for my car to be brought back from wallet parking. BTW price for parking was reasonable too.
I know that I will stay there if back to SF.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Iggyuk
Los Angeles
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel. We are a family of 6 and it is hard to find places that allow that many to stay in a single room. The Beresford Arms does! When we stayed there several years ago we got a two room suite that was very nice. This time since there were only five on this trip we stayed in what is called a Junior Queen Suite. It had two queen beds and then we were able to get a roll away bed to accommodate all five of us. The room also had a mini kitchenette area with a microwave, sink and mini refrigerator and dishes! We loved the large cushioned window seat and the huge bathroom. The bathroom had two mirrors which is wonderful when you have two daughters who both need space to apply their makeup!

Yes, it was a bit loud at night, but we heard no bar sounds, it was just street noise.....ambualnces, sirens, loud people walking down the street, etc. Typical San Francisco city street noises. The room had a radiator type device for heating that also made annoying hissing noises, so that was a drawback, but able to be tuned out.

The complimentary wine and juice, cheese & crackers in the evening was delightful! My 17 and 14 year old tired of it quickly and went back upstairs to our room to watch TV. My husband and I along with our 22 year old enjoyed sipping wine in the beautiful historic Victorian lobby. It got crowded, so we shared our table with another couple and had an enjoyable time chatting.

Breakfast in the morning was fruit, croissants and muffins, juice, coffee and tea. They had a pitcher of real half and half which I appreciated!

Overall an extremely positive experience!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank mjermom
scotland
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We spent 3 nights here during our honeymoon tour of western USA. Arriving from the Seattle Amtrak on a Friday morning we were too early for check inn but they stored our luggage to let us get on with some exploring. I will say this was the most basic hotel we stayed in on honeymoon. It was comfortable but could be in need of a little investment in decor.

One of the most sticking things about the room (Just off the main hotel lobby and therefore a little noisy), was the 5cm gap between the floor and the bottom of the door - very odd and all the rooms around seemed to be the same. We had a Queen junior suite.

The bed was comfortable and it was good to have a fridge in the room to store some soda and water.

We didn't make it to the afternoon wine and cheese session (San Fran has too much to offer to be trapped in in the afternoon, however the complimentary pastries at breakfast tie were quite good and there was a plentiful supply of tea and coffee.

Overall as a basic hotel to explore San Francisco from this fits the bill, however if you are expecting serious luxury on the basis of their marketing, you may be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Monty1980
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We loved this fantastic boutique hotel. Heritage listed for a reason.
It is an old hotel but beautiful and clean with so much character. Great location near Union Square.
The afternoon complimentary drinks are plentiful with the bottles of wine generally being left on the table for patrons to finish off. Cheese and crackers accompany the drinks.
The breakfast is average but inclusive in the very reasonable price. Tea, coffee, watermelon, rockmelon and a selection of muffins.
Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Trish H
Salem, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Booked here based on location for a weeklong conference at the Moscone Center. Location was good. Some streets near by a little shady, but it’s a major city.

First night I was placed (literally) in the basement. Overlooking the "courtyard", which was an empty, concrete space, with empty beer bottles and gas cans. No signals (WiFi, Cell Phone, or other) were available. The room itself was very, very small, tired and old. The bathroom was probably last updated in the 70's and also very small. The pipes had a party around 2am and clanged and banged until about 5am.

The next morning I called the front desk and insisted on a new room (I seriously felt unsafe), and being there on business I needed the WiFi as they advertised (and not WiFi the lobby – in the room).

The second day, they moved me to a room on the fifth floor. If I closed my eyes while walking there, I would have thought I walked to a completely different hotel. The bathroom in this new room was the size of the entire previous room. Huge room, updated, clean, modern TV, WiFi and cell phone signal. It was a very nice room. The windows were thin, and you could easily hear the street noise all night. if that bothers you, might be an issue. It did not bother me.

If I had never seen the first room, this would have easily been a five star review, based also on price and location. I confirmed with the plaques on the back of the doors that both of these rooms have the same ‘list’ price…. So, in summary: Stay-er Beware!

Room Tip: Upper Floors are a must
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
7 Thank Meg R
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my husband in Oct 2013 and when we first arrived they had no record of our booking - a mistake by the agent. While they sorted it out quickly we were offered wine and the receptionist was efficient and courteous. The room was clean and spacious with a kitchen area which we did not use. Out stay was 5 nights and the location was ideal for seeing San Francisco, being on the corner of Post and Jones and a short walk from union square and cable car stops. I thought the price was reasonable compared with other hotels in the city and we loved the complimentary cheese and wine every late afternoon. Breakfast was a basic selection of pastries and fruit.
I would recommend this hotel for its helpful staff, location and quirkiness.

• Stayed October 2013