“Great!”

Ranked #88 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Melbourne, Australia
“Great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

The service at the front desk (Maria) was awesome! We were welcomed with smiles galore and all staff were fantastic. We were upgraded for some reason and the room was great. It was a suite. The large plasma tv was on a huge hinge that could face towards the bed or towards the couch. The bathroom was very elegant and smart looking although it would have been good to have more bench space for toiletries. The hallways looked very romantic with their red hues and lights. One thing I didn't like was the lift. Although it worked, it was too slow for me so I just got used to six flights of stairs and used this as daily exercise! Breakfast was basic but was sufficient. Also, the noise of the garbage trucks in the morning is unbelievable. But on the sixth floor towards the back, there is no other street noise that bothered me. Position near Union Square is great. I would return here again as it was also great value for money!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel in downtown San Francisco while vacationing with friends.

Liked:
- location
- on site bar served great drinks

Disliked:
- DO not stay on the third floor ( specifically room 305 & 315 ). The bar and restaurant are situated on the 2nd floor, there is NO sound proofing and we were kept up till the wee hours of the morning by loud music, noisy patrons & then setting up for breakfast. After complaining twice to reception they did turn the music down a bit. The next morning we went down to complain and were upgraded to a bigger room on the 5th floor which was much quieter.
- Breakfast is average (toast, yoghurt & cereals).
- Some of the hotel staff seemed to have a bit of an attitude, even mentioned to a friend that there were no MCDonalds in San Fran when he asked! Really?

Overall Opinion:
To get the room we were upgraded too, I don't think the associated price tag is worth it. You could probably get a better hotel. The hotel is trying to look like a boutique hotel but it's not got the feel of the boutique hotel. I would try elsewhere when returning to San Fran.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank SAFFAinUK
Hewlett, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

This beautiful place was the only building in the area that was not damaged in the 1906 earthquake - you can see a picture in the back of the restaurant. It was just taken over by Charlie Palmer ( and renamed the "Mystic"), so we would have loved to try out the restaurant, but unfortunately it was not opening for the first time until the day after we left. The bar, however was gorgeous and served craft cocktails to a very eclectic local crowd. Our two Rooms were not only beautiful , with plush bedding but the outside wall was the original brick. The staff was extremely friendly an,d we had a good time chatting with every one of them

Room Tip: They have a few king rooms if you ask
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Alan B
Salzburg, Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

we arrived early in the morning after we had to get up at 3:30 am for our flight and were more then delighted that they gave us a room already at 10:00 am! try to get a room as high up as possible - the view is nicer and there is no "noise" from the bar on the second floor!

Room Tip: as high up as possible!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

I stayed here with my girlfriend for one night after coming off a delayed flight from Vegas. We had a flight back to the UK the next morning too so all we wanted was a good night's sleep. Unfortunately we didn't get it!

When we arrived at around midnight, we were told that due to building work there would be no water the next afternoon. Nobody mentioned noise and the lady who was on the desk gave us the keys to room 315. The room was very small and bereft of natural light but it was clean and comfortable enough.

At 6am we were woken by loud banging and shouting. When I looked out of the thin, single pane interior window I saw we were right next to the staircase where the building work was actually taking place. Somehow we tolerated this till 8am when I went down to complain.

The man who had taken over on the desk was helpful and said that they don't usually put people in 315. He gave me the keys to a much nicer and quieter room across the hall and gave us a later check out. Unfortunately his efforts were undone by the negligence of his colleague.

My girlfriend emailed them when we got home but they ignored it. For that reason, this is the first (and last) negative review. The location is ok, the hotel is ok - but make sure you get a decent room.

Room Tip: Don't accept Room 315 or in fact any room with an interior window
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jonny_c99

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

My daughter and I were in town for some college visits and wanted to find a location with easy access to highways, as well as easy access for public transportation, BART, cable cars, and tourist sights. I had read many reviews online about this hotel, and had requested a quiet room, away from the club on the 2nd floor, as well as a room with good cell phone reception. (Several people had commented that some rooms were loud and that they had trouble with reception.) Our little room was just perfect on the 7th floor. Check-in was easy, but I wasn't sure that the lady at the check-in desk understood everything we were saying. I asked if they had vending machines, but she didn't understand that, so I asked about pop machines, and she didn't understand that, so my daughter asked about Diet Coke. THAT she understood, but they didn't have a pop machine. (Rats, but we walked to Walgreens about a block away and stocked up on drinks for the week. Walgreens also offered the tickets for unlimited rides on the cable cars. I think they were City Passes, or something of the sort. We paid $21 for unlimited cable car and street car rides for 3 days. Walgreens also had some cute little souvenirs.)

We loved the exposed brick wall in our room. The bed was very comfortable, as was the bedding. The room was very clean, which is a biggy to me. They had a computer and printer in their breakfast area, which we used to print our boarding passes the day before we left, so that was handy. The breakfast was very adequate, with oatmeal, boiled eggs, bagels, cream cheese, yogurt, granola, bananas, and apples; with coffee, tea, or juice to drink. We had to request ice water, but they kept coming to our table to refill it for us. The men who were in charge of the breakfast area were very attentive to everyone's needs. Really, all of the staff were kind and helpful. They offered us a map of the city which was very helpful, as it showed street car, cable car, bus, and BART routes. Several people had complained in reviews about the old and slow elevator. We had no problems with it at all. We felt very safe using it, and having to wait just a little bit wasn't that big of a deal to us. The only negative we had during the trip was the loud trash trucks just outside our alleyway window at 5AM each morning. But, that's life in the city, I suppose! We would definitely stay there again. The manager did tell me that they were changing the name of the hotel to "The Mystic" on April 1, 2012 and would have an on-site restaurant at that time.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the 2nd floor lounge, as well as a room with good wi-fi and cell phon...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

The hotel is 3 blocks away from Market St, which is just enough to stay away from the noise and close enough for everything. The room is nice and clean, quite newly renovated. Bed is nice, comfortable and clean. The staffs are friendly, so the check-in process is smooth, the breakfast is enjoyable (avoid 8-9am if possible, otherwise the place will be packed with people). The only problem I had is with the wifi signal. I can hardly connect to internet, and the connection is extremely unstable. So I had to go down to lobby to access internet at one point, and that is when I found out I am not the only guest with this problem. So, my experience here is great, if they can improve this wifi issue, then I will definitely return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business