“Lovely little hotel - great Jazz Bar”

Mystic Hotel by Charlie Palmer
Ranked #99 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I'm glad we booked this hotel, it was lovely and quaint, with cool modern decor. The jazz bar was great, and our friends who came to meet us there were very impressed and wished they had stayed there too!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank m3ugs
Rita R, General Manager at Mystic Hotel by Charlie Palmer, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear m3ugs,
I'm thrilled to hear you found your stay with us here at Mystic to be lovely and quaint! We look forward to welcoming you back! We update or menus in the Burritt Room + Tavern quite regularly so you'll be in for a treat on your next visit!

Best,

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Immediately upon check-in, the hotel receptionist (Stacey) provided us with a huge smile and helpful service on how to return our rental car. We even got upgraded! (She was extraordinarily helpful and accommodating). The hotel is definitely in an older building, but has been updated wonderfully and creates a very cozy and trendy feel. The complimentary breakfast in the morning was a great way to start the day since we were tourists on a budget. The hotel is literally a block from a cable car line and directly on a bus line. However, pretty much everything you'd want to do as a tourist is within a 20 minute walk (albeit some uphill!).
Jazz is played at the restaurant bar on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and was a great place for pre-dinner drinks.
Our room didn't have a spectacular view, but we didn't mind. You're not going to find many hotels with AC in SF, so we slept with the windows open, but it cools off substantially in the evenings here. Yes, you'll hear city noise below you, but it's very easy to block out and not obnoxious at all.
We would absolutely return and refer our friends to this hotel based on the trendy feel, location, and pleasant staff!

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank sdjack87

Dear sdjack87,
Thank you for your review on your experience with us here at Mystic! I'm very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and found our rooms to be cozy! We do pride ourselves on providing a unique and memorable experience. Come see us next time and enjoy our live jazz which we offer 5 days a week Tuesday - Saturday! We look forward to welcoming you back!
Best,

Reviewed 30 April 2014

I wanted to give the Mystic Hotel an opportunity to earn my business, as a frequent traveler to SF. However, my stay here was VERY disappointing for the follow reason. Having a quiet stay should not be an exception to the rule. After a long work day, I continued was obnoxiously disturbed until 11pm, by an event that was directly below my room. I understand the hotel books events, but they should take consideration to the guests staying right above the event, when the event is to exceed a reasonable and considerate time for business travelers. With room rate around $300, there is a level of customary consideration expected. While the hotel did give me $15 off my bill, I am not sure that is anywhere near enough to rethink booking this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank joansloan

Dear Joansloan, Thank you very much for your candid feedback on your experience with us here at Mystic. I'm very sorry we did not meet your expectations during your visit with us in April. I would love the opportunity to create a 2nd first impression to see if we can become a home away from home for you here in our lovely city of San Francisco. Please reach out to me directly on your next visit and will be more than happy to help plan your next stay.
rruiz@mystichotel.com

Reviewed 21 April 2014

This hotel is really nice and in a really great location. The complimentary wifi was a plus and the complimentary breakfast was nice. Very comfortable bed and really nice bathrooms. My room faced a not so nice alley but it didn't really bother me. Really nice and helpful hotel staff. I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Romina F
Rita R, Front Office Manager at Mystic Hotel by Charlie Palmer, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Hello Romina,

We appreciate your feedback and thank you for your recent stay at the Mystic Hotel . We're glad you enjoyed your stay and love our location. Our staff saw your review and are so pleased you enjoyed their services. We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I love this little boutique hotel! At first I was a bit wary given its location on the edge of the Union Square area, closer to Chinatown right next to a parking structure and tunnel. I immediately fell in love though with the decor, the amenities, and location. The room, though not spacious, is quite lovely with just the right decorative touches to make it romantic.

The free breakfast is not the usual stale bagels. I was impressed by their selection of out-of-the-oven egg tarts, croissants, and fresh fruit. The lovely tavern is great for a morning pick-me-up but also if you are more of a night owl where on the weekends, there is live music & the requisite bar.

Of course, if you are sensitive to sound, ask for a higher level room. The tavern bar is located on the 2nd floor and when I stayed, my 3rd floor room was bouncing with the sounds of nightlife until past midnight.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to sound, ask for a higher level room. The tavern bar is located on the 2nd flo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank chibimariko
Rita R, Manager at Mystic Hotel by Charlie Palmer, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Hi Chibimariko,

On behalf of the Mystic Hotel team, I thank you for your valuable review! We appreciate your kind comments about our location and property. Décor and amenities are priorities we give attention to regularly and are so glad you enjoyed them.

We are so glad you enjoyed our breakfast- our breakfast team has been working hard, along with our Chefs to make a continental breakfast the best it can be.

We are working to improve the sound proofing measures we have recently taken.
Thank for your time in reviewing us, we hope we get to see you again soon :)

Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

My wife and I spent one night at the Mystic.
The hotel is very well decorated, very well maintained and very well located (between China Town and Union Square).
We found the room to be quite comfortable and good looking.
The only flaws worth mentioning is the low water pressure in the shower and the noise - We could hear everything that was going on in the adjacent rooms, in the hall way and in the street below.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jonathan L
Rita R, General Manager at Mystic Hotel by Charlie Palmer, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Hi Jonathan, Thank you for choosing Mystic Hotel by Charlie Palmer during your visit to our lovely city! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed our decor; every item in our lobby up to our guest rooms are hand selected by us! We have made several improvements to our guest rooms in terms of soundproofing and will continue to work on this. Thank you for taking the time to review us!

Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Have to say....place is charming! Stacey at front desk very helpful & kind & Pedro also!!! Charming & artsy....boutique hotel! Just lovely! Quick visit...but will definitely be back in future. Great area for shopping etc. Great quick shuttle service to airport.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends