“perfect location”

Mystic Hotel by Charlie Palmer
Ranked #100 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My husband and I were celebrating our 11 year anniversary as well as his birthday, and the hotel upgraded us even with a huge wedding party there! The front desk person named Stacey exceeded our expectations in hospitality, and we chatted every time she was at the front.
The room was clean, and a perfect size for our 3 night stay. The elevator was a little slow, and the views weren't that great from the 4th floor, but the style, location, staff, and high ceilings made up for it. Also keep in mind that this Hotel is in the middle of EVERYTHING, so street noise is going to be heard, but it was a pay off that was well worth the location.
The breakfast they provide in the morning was perfect to start our day, and we are so glad that we decided to try something other than our timeshare this time around.
If we could rate it a 10, we would. We will definitely stay here again, and if you do decide to stay here, make sure to try the restaurant and bar.
Extremely happy with our short stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank treynly
Rita R, General Manager at Mystic Hotel by Charlie Palmer, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Trenly,

Congratulations on your 11 year anniversary! Thank you for letting us celebrate with you guys, and we sincerely hope to make this your home away from home!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed by myself in a Junior room and it suited my needs perfectly. I would love to go back to the Mystic.

The whole hotel is very stylish, from the lobby to the cocktail bar to the rooms, but I especially appreciated the bathroom. I once stayed in a nearby hotel offering similar amenities for a similar price. While my room there was nice, the bathroom was fairly dingy and run-down. My bathroom in the Mystic was modern, impeccably clean, and even elegant with its pedestal sink. I'm sure that kind of detail isn't important to every traveler, but if you are an apartment dweller like me who is limited in the amount of personalization they can do to their own home, you may get a vicarious thrill out of fashion-forward hotel rooms.

The bed was very comfortable. My room didn't have a view, but that isn't unusual for an older property in the heart of the city and that wasn't why I chose to try out the Mystic. I was able to faintly hear the jazz from the Burritt Room in my room, but it ended promptly at the advertised time. After that it was quiet, and I had no problems with noise when I wanted to go to sleep.

The Union Square location is excellent for tourists. While I personally wasn't traveling for business, I would imagine that being adjacent to the Financial District would be good for the business traveler as well.

With all of the excellent food options available in San Francisco, it is almost a shame that the complimentary breakfast is so good at the Mystic. They have fruit and yogurt and lighter fare, but you owe it to yourself to sample the pastries and mini quiches because they are so tasty and of such good quality.

My interactions with the staff were all pleasant, and it was quick and easy to check in and out. This is a great boutique hotel for travelers who value design and high quality food.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear Shema0818,

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay here at the Mystic Hotel and I'd like to take the time and thank you for the review. As we are a chef-driven hotel we try to maintain a seasonal array of food and drink items for all of our guests to enjoy for breakfast. We hope to see you soon. I hope you join us for dinner on your next visit!

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We really enjoyed out stay at The Mystic. The free continental breakfast and the live nightly jazz were the highlights of the hotel for me. The hotel also has a great location, about one block from the main entrance to Chinatown and two blocks from Union Square. Our room was very comfortable and the bathroom had a very sleek clean design. The Burritt Room Bar and Lounge had a great happy hour (with the live jazz) and we ate the best hummus we've ever had. We would definitely stay here again.

More on The Mystic Hotel: http://www.blaineanderin.com/mystic-hotel-san-francisco/

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Erin B
Rita R, General Manager at Mystic Hotel by Charlie Palmer, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Hi Erin B,
Thank you for your feedback and blog on your stay with us at Mystic! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us! We would love to become your home away from home!

Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival we were upgraded and couldn't have asked for a lovlier room. Stacy greeted us and along with the rest of the staff continued to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable. Extemly helpful and knowledgeable .... they couldn't do enough! !!!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Mary M
Rita R, General Manager at Mystic Hotel by Charlie Palmer, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear John + Joanne,
That is FANTASTIC! I'm so happy to hear Stacey provided such a memorable experience for you both! We pride ourselves on service and ways to improve our guests experience. Any feedback you can provide is greatly appreciated and always welcomed.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Really nice and cozy hotel in Downtown San Francisco.

Some people visiting San Francisco you might not want to be situated in Downtown SF because the more upcoming neighborhoods might be more interesting. But I think if you're visiting as a tourist, Downtown is still a good place to start your days and explore the city from.If you then also like the smaller, intimate hotels which have a mix of old architecture and modern rustic design, then Mystic Hotel by Charlie Palmer is a good place to go.

Also the people working there are all very friendly and breakfast for it being complimentary was quite good (serving bagels, musli, fruits, toast bread, coffee...).

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to test the bar called The Burritt Room, it's tucked in the back of the hotel and looks like an old fashioned gentleman's bar.

Only downside, it can be loud depending on which room you book. As it's an old building (with all the advantages like raw brick walls etc.) windows are quite thin.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank B K

Dear BK,
Thank you for your review! I'm very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and found your stay to be nice + cozy. We are always looking to update our breakfast as we are a chef-driven hotel all aspects of food are important to us. Next time you come to the city we hope to have you back and this time hopefully enjoy the both the Burritt Room + Tavern!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Never stay in this hotel. They will charge You for a bar usage U never touched. Poor people. I dont need your junk stuff. Find another housekeepers which will not take any of your cheap alcogol and chips!!!! And change your manager. She!! Promised to fix that charge but never EVER called back. Its a shame.
Stay away of this shame hotel!

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Victoria P
Rita R, General Manager at Mystic Hotel by Charlie Palmer, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear Victoria P,
I sincerely apologize about your experience here with our honor bar and not being billed correclty in regards to this, I would like to correct this for you as quickly as possible. I can be reached directly at 415.400.0559 or rruiz@mystichotel.com.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed for 3 nights in May. This is a quaint hotel, very sophisticated and well furnished. The room was a bit on the small side but was not a problem. Clean and modern. Breakfast was ample with a variety of choice. Easy walking distance to Union Square, china town. Would take 20 mins to walk to Fishermans Wharf. A really enjoyable stay. Oh as for the lift... Never a problem and we were on the 7th floor.

Room Tip: High floor facing towards Union Square