“Perfect blend of quality , value, and close to many attractions”
Review of Carriage Inn

Carriage Inn
Ranked #138 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 September 2011

The Carriage Inn is my favorite place to stay in a city full of over priced terrible accomodations. Newly renovated and houses a very friendly staff that's happy to help. The only drag is that it is just off Market St and can be a rough area. If you're renting a car (usually only $10 a day!) then no worries at all, drive in and out, never to deal with the riff raff. I live in NYC, so its no biggie and I walk around without issue. For the price, its a wonder base while in San Fran. Love it and have been back numerous times.

Room Tip: Street rooms can be a little loud on the weekends. Each room is named after a San Fran celebrity, so...
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Guy P
There are newer reviews for Carriage Inn

Reviewed 26 August 2011

I saw the pictures of the rooms on their website and knew I had to stay here. But I was torn between the equally newly renovated Americania across the road, so I split my time between the two hotels. They are owned by the same company.
There are not as many facilities at the Carriage Inn as the Americania, but you can use all the facilities of the Americania including the gym and heated pool.
When I first check in I was given a room that looked in to the middle of the building and asked to be moved to a room overlooking the road. They had no problem moving me. I prefer a room with lots of natural light and the sun was beaming in to the roadside room. Of course there is a little road noise, but not enough to be annoying. The furnishings in the room are REALLY nice! An amazingly comfortable bed. I had the best sleep of my whole vacation in this room. There is also a little kitchen that is opened in the mornings where you can get tea/coffee and some small snack for breakfast. I'm not sure exactly what was available as I was heading over the road to Custom Burger in the Americania hotel where they do a proper breakfast meal.
Now I paid over a month in advance for this room and got a good discount on it. I found that closer to the time the hotel sold out. It gets very full on weekends.
I see some people complain about the area. I think the area is great! It's about a 15 minute walk to Union Square and only a couple of minutes to the shops on Market Street or some great cafes on Folsom Street. This place really is in a good spot and is well priced. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank melbourneloft
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Place was clean and service was great. It was relatively centrally locate to places to eat and public transportation. Parking was also pretty reasonable. Would stay here again on another weekend trip.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank SierraNevadaLover
Reviewed 4 August 2011

FIRST, Let me begin by posting that as we were looking for the Carriage Inn on 7th Street, we spotted the BEST WESTERN sign, which has always been a welcoming sight, especially after a long drive. As I drove into the parking garage and went into the lobby, I encountered two women at the desk one of whom simply stated, matter-of-factly "Hello, welcome to the Best Western Americana, San Francisco... Name please?", I was so weary from driving in from Sonora (where we stayed the night before at the Best Western Sonora Oaks, which was ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL) I did not notice that I had driven into the WRONG Best Western. The CARRIAGE INN is DIRECTLY across the street from the Best Western Americana. The woman seemed to be irritated by my error and told me I had to get my car out of their garage and drive directly across the street, literally out of one parking garage into another, this, after unloading our luggage, she seemed to not care that I made this innocent mistake, "oh well" I said to myself, "I should have paid more attention"

OK, SECOND, I knew we were in trouble when we walked into what was supposed to be a "lobby" only to find a registration clerk crammed into a tiny desk in a tiny room. It was the kind of desk someone would have in their home for their P.C. She was busy registering a guest, but comically, the lobby was sooo tiny, it made it seem as if the room was packed with people. Anyway, when she finished with the guest, she tended to us. It's was 2:30 so we were informed we had to wait until 3 p.m. our room was not ready. There was no coffee in that joke of a lobby so when I asked for coffee, she said I would have to J-walk across the street to the Best Western Americana if I wanted a cup.....Hmmm I was not yet registered so how was I to prove to those two grouchy women across the street that I was a guest, all I can say is... "Duuuh"!

When we finally got to our room, it was depressing. The heating/cooling system was just a bit off kilter. There was a telephone IN THE BATHROOM that kept cutting off the phone in the guestroom... odd place for a phone, in the john.

We stayed in "The Danielle Steele" Suite....ummm why do they call it a suite if it is just 2 beds and a TV? The bathroom always had a slight odor of sewage. The room color itself was very mood altering...yeah... a pukey light blue color that induces vomiting. Stay away from room 410, my first morning there I woke up with insect bites, at the time, I thought maybe I had spent too much time in the sun on Pier 39. I can't say for sure if the bites were from our trip down the Sonora Pass or bed critters at the Carriage Inn. Ignorance is bliss. The hallways are noisey, doors slamming at all hours and you could hear people carrousing in the hot tub that was located in the center of the building, 1st floor in the "Patio" area if you can call it that. That night, I tried to log onto my laptop, but got no Wi-Fi, so I called the guy crammed in the small desk downstairs, he informed me he had gotten several complaints of the same problem and that I should try again in the morning.... DOUBLE DUH!

Next day, mid morning, I asked the maid in the hallway if I could have some more coffee for the in-room coffee maker. She seemed quite upset by this and wanted to know how many more nights we were going to stay before she would give me anymore coffee, so she gave me just two little packets... the equivalent of two cups of coffee, I was terrified of asking her for the coffee condiments....TRIPLE DUH!

By the way, the "in- room" coffee makers are those frustrating little one cup deals that makes your coffee seem like tea.

As for the area surrounding BOTH the CARRIAGE INN and the AMERICANA, the only way I can describe it is with two words, "SKID ROW". Each time we took a trolly or bus to get to points of interest, you had to run the gauntlet of people smoking crack on the sidewalk, the homeless asleep on the sidewalk, panhandlers and the smell of urine wafting out of the doorways of beer-joint dives that reeked of pee and Pine-Sol.

My guess is, The Carriage Inn was probably a flea-bag No-tell hotel at one time. All I can end with is this: STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE! I know I will if there is a next time.

By the way, Parking at the hotel is $20 a day.... Best Western be ashamed of yourself, be very ashamed!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank TWINZEE
Reviewed 15 July 2011

We've stayed at the Carriage Inn several times, and have never been disappointed. The rooms are clean, comfortable, with a quirky decor where nothing in the room matches anything else, but it all seems to work. There's even a old typewriter with a sheet about the SF writer your room is named after. (Minor point, but staying in a room named after someone makes it easy to remember which room is yours.) The staff has always been friendly and helpful.

The 7th St. and Mission area is a little tired; we've never been accosted, but keep aware of your surroundings. It's a quick one-block walk to the Muni or BART Civic Center stop on Market St.

Best points: Deluxe King room is quiet and nicely sized. The bed is very comfortable. In-room safe is big enough for two 15" laptop computers and your photo gear. Plenty of plugs on the table for your computer and cell phones.

Not-so-good points: So-so coffee from the in-room drip coffee maker -- better coffee is available at the reception in the morning. They only had muffins to get you started -- go next door to Sidebar or across the street to Custom Burger if you want breakfast. (You can charge to your room, but it would be nicer if they delivered.) The underground garage ($20/day) can fill up if they're busy, but parking is available at the Americana across the street. The garage has tight spaces and little maneuver room -- park at the Americana if you have a big SUV. The WiFi gets pokey as more people get on it during the day.

Overall, it's excellent value for a San Francisco hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Zapf
Reviewed 20 June 2011

My wife and I stayed here several years ago while on a road trip, and enjoyed it then. That hasn't changed.

The hotel has been renovated recently with some very interesting decor....almost 'throwback' one might say, but still very nice. We were upgraded to an executive king room on check in, and the room included a king bed, couch, 2 chairs and a small table right near the window which provided excellent light, a 27" flat-panel TV (a little small, but we didn't use it much). Our room looked out over 7th St (a 4-lane 1-way street, not overly busy) and was very quiet in the evenings, and we had no trouble sleeping (and I'm a light sleeper). Very spacious and spotlessly clean room.

So too was the bathroom. Nothing fancy, but very clean. Those with simple shower needs (ie. don't require fancy shower gels, shampoos and soaps) will appreciate the wall-mounted soap/shampoo/gel pumps in the shower. I used them exclusively with no problem.

As other reviews have indicated, the hotel isn't in the 'best' neighbourhood, in that there are some homeless around, but not ONCE were we approached or bothered by any of them. One even noticed (quite easily, I'm sure) that we were tourists and welcomed us to San Francisco! My wife left the hotel on her own one morning and had no problems whatsoever.

The Best Western Americania is directly across the street, and you have access to use its pool, which we didn't use, but which looked nice enough (we could see it from our room). Our hotel had a small outdoor (but covered, in case of rain) hot tub which we used twice, and were the only ones there! We didn't use parking this time around, as we didn't have a car....I think they charge for parking though, and from what I recall, it's pretty tight getting in there, so SUV/truck owners beware.

The hotel is barely 2 blocks from major transportation including the BART (which goes to the airport for $8.10 from the Civic Centre station) and street cars/buses (which go to Fisherman's wharf for $2), not to mention a few more blocks away from the Powell/Hyde and Powel/Mason cable cars ($5/ride down to the wharf), which you should try at least once. Great shopping is nearby as well at Union Square and thereabouts.

Front desk staff were VERY helpful, with answers to any questions we had, and even made change for me so we could have small bills for the bus.

Tips:
-rooms _01 and _02 are relatively close to the elevator, so perhaps avoid those 2 rooms on each floor to avoid elevator noise. We were in room _03 and never heard it.

-if noise is a concern, you might consider asking for a room which doesn't overlook 7th St. We overlooked it, and had little issue with it (we heard the occasional siren zipping by which you'd hear from ANY room, and the occasional hooting and hollaring of people passing by).

-ask to have a mini-fridge added to your room prior to check-in. The continental breakfast is meagre, to say the least, so you may wish to stock your fridge with a quick trip to a nearby Walgreens.

-plan to eat dinner prior to returning to the hotel at night, as there isn't much nearby, other than the Custom Burger across the street at the BW Americania hotel. A burger one night is fine, and they have selection. Otherwise, a stroll down Mission or Market St will get you to something. There's a Subway restaurant kitty-corner from the hotel which we used a couple times.

-we booked last-minute using hotels.com, and got a rate which equated to $95/night (regular about $140/night) for 4 nights....you CAN NOT beat that value in SF, which is a notoriously expensive city in which to stay.

Another great stay. Thanks again BW!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank dbandbb
Reviewed 13 June 2011

The hotel itself is fine. The inside seems to be pretty clean and it's very secure. Requires a keycard to get into the lobby from the parking garage, then requires a keycard to get on the elevator, and of course, a keycard to get into your room. The room is about average size. It has a funny smell, probably due to the fireplace.

My biggest problem is the noise!!! Maybe it's the single-pane windows, but I got woke up at least 20 times overnight. You hear every car door shut, every bus or garbage truck that passes, sirens from all over the city (god help you if they pass this hotel), every back-up alarm. And it seems like the sound is magnified by the shape of the room or something. Anyways, if you need to sleep I don't really think this is the place for you.

Also, parking is $20/nt.