US$446
US$185
MysticHotel.com
Good 3.5/5
  • Restaurant
Comfort Inn by the Bay(San Francisco)
US$217
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$290
US$235
  • Restaurant
InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$254
US$222
  • Room Service
Hotel Rex San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$258
US$212
  • Restaurant
San Francisco Marriott Marquis(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$511
US$476
Marriott Hotels
  • Bar/Lounge
InterContinental San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$405
US$345
InterContinental
  • Pool
US$444
US$398
  • Restaurant
Hotel Zoe Fisherman's Wharf(San Francisco)
US$329
US$278
Hotwire.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmarket streethomeless peopleboxed breakfastunion squareon site parkingnever felt unsafefew blocksyerba buena gardensfacing the streetboutique hoteldecent hotelbig cityroom was largewe've stayedtypewriterneighborhoodbart
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 November 2013

At first glance it doesn't look all that impressive. When you find out it is a Best Western you understand. Not to say there is anything wrong with Best Westerns but it isn't the Fairmont or Marriott Marquis. But you aren't paying their ridiculous prices either. (The Carriage Inn is less than half the Marriott)

The rooms were lovely - each one decorated differently. The staff were so nice I really liked all that I met. It was one of the cheapest hotels for the Dreamforce conference but they gave free wifi as opposed to ridiculous wifi charges at the Marriott! Also, they had a lovely breakfast of freshly baked croissant, banana, OJ, and yogurt!

The hotel is in an up and coming neighborhood which is a nice way of saying I didn't feel comfortable walking alone at night on one street that led to the hotel. During the day I walked bak and forth without a worry.

I would definitely stay here again! And hopefully they will continue to sere those delicious croissants!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Elly B
Haiyi, Front Office Manager at Carriage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Dear Elly B,

We thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your stay at the Carriage Inn. We are absolutely delighted that we exceeded your expectations.

Our design team will be proud to hear that you enjoyed the aesthetics of each of the different rooms that you were able to view. It is our pleasure to serve you with your needs while you enjoyed your stay at the Carriage Inn. Our chef will be happy to hear that you savor the freshly baked croissants that we prepare on a daily basis.

We know you have many choices when choosing your home away from home and we appreciate you chose to stay at the Carriage Inn. We look forward to warmly welcoming you back on your next visit to San Francisco.

With anticipation,

Don Ignacio
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 25 October 2013

This hotel was better than I'd expected after reading reviews on Trip Advisor. It was absurdly expensive, but I understand this is the norm for hotels in SanFran. We paid over $400 total for one night (a Saturday). No room is worth that much, IMO.

The look of the hotel is sort of an aged-elegance style. I really enjoyed the look and feel of the room, which was very large. We stayed in one of the upgraded King rooms with fireplace. The bed was SO SO SO comfortable! And that's not something I usually notice enough to comment on.

The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. The lobby area is very tiny--expect to stand and wait if you arrive at the general check-in hour.

I did not notice any strange smells, as other reviewers have mentioned, and I did not notice the neighborhood to be either very good or very bad, however, BART was on strike when we were there so we drove in and out of the hotel and didn't do much walking in the area.

I'd recommend this hotel to friends. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Haiyi, Front Desk Supervisor at Carriage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2013

Dear mwieser,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Carriage Inn during your recent visit to San Francisco. We appreciate you taking the time and sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community.

We are so pleased that you found your large Executive King room to be so clean and comfortable. I do agree with you; the fireplaces do give the rooms a touch of elegance and sophistication.

Our staff is dedicated and passionate when it comes to providing excellent service and I am thrilled that you were able to experience this firsthand.

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you in future!

Best Wishes,

Jazmine Bonnett
Front Desk Supervisor

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Our stay was great! The staff were super friendly, and the hotel was very safe and clean. The neighbourhood wasn't ideal, but we would stay here again for sure! If the hotel was in a different location it would be perfect!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Haiyi, Front Office Manager at Carriage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Dear Jana B,

It has been our pleasure to provide you a memorable Carriage Inn experience. Our staff aim to provide all of our guests a welcoming and secure feeling during their time with us.

Our SOMA community is working together to build a safe and welcoming neighborhood. We look forward to welcome you back to the Carriage Inn on your next visit to San Francisco. Thank you again for choosing the Carriage Inn.

Kind regards,

Don Ignacio
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 3 October 2013

I have stayed at the Carriage Inn many times. It is perfectly located to walk to Union Square or mass transit systems to get you where you might want to go. It is also close to freeways and offers parking (for a nominal fee by SF standards). Being small is their advantage. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are large and clean, bed comfortable, decor is kitschy and maybe not to everyone's taste, but you're not paying the high downtown prices. This hotel is also very popular with international travelers.

Room Tip: Higher floor toward the back and you will avoid street noise.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rick1395
Haiyi, Assistant Front Office Manager at Carriage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Dear Rick R,

Thank you for sharing your experiences at the Carriage Inn with all of our friends in the Trip Advisor community. We are pleased to hear that you found your stay so accommodating. We strive to give the best San Francisco experience to all of our travelers. We look forward to being your South of Market Alternative the next time you make it back to The City!

Warm regards,

James Charles
Assistant Front Office Manager

Reviewed 29 September 2013

I really enjoyed my stay in the Carriage Inn. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The room was large with a big picture window. Best of all, was that it is not just like every other standard hotel room. The rooms are themed - mostly around writers with the name of the writer on the door along with the room number. The King bed in my room was very comfortable. The decor was attractive and easy on the eyes.
The bathroom is quite nice - not the best hotel bathroom I've ever had, but had everything I needed, clean and in good working order. The tub sides were a little higher than usual so you may have a bit of a problem if you can't make a high step into the tub - I'm not sure if they have any accessible rooms.
The location of the hotel is good with easy access to BART and MUNI at Civic Center, and withing walking distance of the Moscone Center and the shopping, restaurants and museums around Yerba Buena Gardens. It is a long walking distance to Union Square. It is in the South of Market, aka SOMA area which is a neighborhood in transition - once run-down and dangerous, it is filling with new or refurbished apartments, condos, and the amenities that go with them. But there are still plenty of homeless people in the area, and some spots, especially the nearby section of Market Street may make you uncomfortable. Still - my feeling was that most of these people are harmless, except perhaps to themselves.
I only had two problems with the hotel. There was a malfunctioning smoke alarm that woke me late one night - I called the desk, and the clerk came right up and disabled it until maintenance could fix it. It was repaired by the next evening and I had no more trouble. My room was on the 7th Street side of the hotel, and street noise was a bit of a problem - especially one night when two men began yelling outside my window. But my corner of the hotel had the nice bulge-out with the big windows.

Room Tip: You have to decide which is more important to you - light by day or quiet by night - I don't think you can have both.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear flash54,

We would love to thank you for taking the time to share with our friends in the Trip Advisor community your recent experience at the Carriage Inn. We are happy to hear that are convenient location, comfortable rooms and helpful staff made a good impression on your recent visit. It is unfortunate to hear that you had an issue with your smoke detector keeping you awake, but we are pleased to hear that our staff was able to correct the issue. We would like to thank you again for sharing and would love to see you again at the Carriage Inn the next time you travel to San Francisco.

Kindest regards,