“Recent Remodel. Very Nice. Clean, Comfortable, Free Parking!”

Civic Center Motor Inn
Ranked #203 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I have stayed at this property many times. It just keeps getting better. This 57 room hotel is a great place to stay in the SOMA or Downtown area. Close to public transportation. Free Parking.

Upgraded security. Video camera's and a weekend guard. The Guard is really not needed at this SAFE property.

One of the few hotel's in SF with good free parking. 24 hour front desk staff. A few smoking rooms. A nice, clean outdoor pool. Friendly and helpful staff.

Room Tip: A good continental breakfast to help you get started.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
12  Thank Alan W

Reviewed 3 March 2012

Decent, Reasonably priced place to stay. Centrally located. Conveniently located for public transportation. By no means a dump, like other similarly priced places I've stayed at in The City but not the Hilton either. Just a plain, simple, clean, conveniently located place to sleep, shower and change. Has undergone some renovations and still looks like it has some more work still going on. Staff nice and friendly. Since we were there for Bear weekend, it was just around the corner from some of the Gay Bars that were hosting events. We have stayed here in the past and will definitely stay again, as long as the price stays reasonable. I'm a price shopper, so price is a big factor as is the Free Parking, which there is plenty here. As for Bed Bugs, as the other posters mentioned, the posters must have brought their own, because we didn't see any sign of any or that there were ever any there. I think some people that are just plain snobs and are expecting 5 star quality at a 3 star price. They are not happy so they throw in the "bed bug" scare to try and hurt the owners of the establishment, which is just plain mean and unethical.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Bear C
Reviewed 26 January 2012

My kid is still traumatized.

I had never seen bed bugs up close in my life. It was a disgusting experience to wake up itching with bites all over and a bug still feeding on me.

There was also a huge stain on the ripped comforter and lots of traffic coming in and out of the rooms around me.

The staff acts as if you're a Burden and even with a dnd sign up, housekeeping came banging on my door at 10 am.

Rooms look ok, but only get cleaned very superficially.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I've stayed here for both business and pleasure. The rooms were a lot nicer than I expected and very clean.

Location is fairly central & they have free parking, which is rare in sf.

The front desk staff was AMAZING. Alexandra at the front desk helped me plan my itinerary for each day of my first visit and was extremely pleasant. They will definitely go out of their way to help a guest.

I'd stay here again- no doubt

• Stayed: January 2012
5  Thank Skyguy5
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I stayed here back in February of 2009 (it doesn't give that option in the drop-down). The ONLY thing I can say that was good during my husband and my stay was they allowed us late check in. I booked this hotel at a good price right before our trip. They decided to inform me, after booking, that they were doing some renovations but said that it shouldn't interfere with our trip. Because of all the work the sight of the hotel was an eyesore. During our 5 day stay there, we heard every type of typical construction work you can think of. Sawing, Hammering, Drilling, etc... All of which started around 9am or earlier. While I usually wake up early, if I choose to sleep in while on vacation, I should be able to. The fire alarm malfunctioned in our room and went off, twice, as well.
The day before we left we had been out all day and came back to our room to find a ring of my husbands missing (luckily it was only being used for sizing and only worth around $50). I called the front desk to ask about this and they told me the housekeeping didn't see it. Of course they didn't.

After our trip and my husband returned overseas I proceeded to email the hotel to complain. They said they had no listing of us staying there at this time and as such wouldn't help me. Because, apparently, I would take time out of my day to lie about staying at their hotel. I replied to them and gave them both the names of my husband and myself, told them if need be i'd find my reservation confirmation through priceline or could print out a statement from our credit card. I sent this to them multiple times. I have yet to receive an apology or a response.

This is even more of a disappointment as I have stayed in many best westerns and always been happy. Unless some serious changes have taken place. Find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sharon A
Reviewed 3 January 2012

My husband & I stayed for 2 days. Got a good price, the room seemed really clean, came with lots of tv channels, free parking, microwave & fridge. 1st night was fine, but on the 2nd night we started itching. I turned on the lights and found a bunch of huge bed bugs. We left immediately without bothering to stop & check out.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Angie H
Reviewed 9 December 2011

The Civic Center Motor Inn as a quaint hotel located deep in SOMA, (South of Market Street). Most of the Inn has be remodeled, and the rooms are nice and very affordable. What's nice is that it's located right behind the Lone Star bar and within walking distance to other gay bars. The staff is very courteous & kind. I will continue to stay there when I visit San Fransisco.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends