“Charged me twice for one night stay and refuse to refund me - FRAUDULENT”

Civic Center Motor Inn
Ranked #203 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I was over from the UK in San Francisco for one night on the 15th August 2013 and booked one room. When I telephoned the day before the reception clerk took my credit card details and charged me the full amount. When we arrived they said they had no record of my booking and had to find me a room and charge my credit card as my telephone order had not been processed. I was wary of this but went with what the manager said. However, on my return to UK it turns out I was charged twice. I have telephoned and explained the problem, emailed with no response. My credit card company are now handling this to recover my money that is owed to me. Terrible customer service and would strongly avoid staying here or handing over any money until you are physically there in person.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank ownerjj

Reviewed 3 October 2013

We were nearing the end of our epic girls road trip. It was a busy weekend in San Fran with the America's Cup. We spent several hours online looking for accommodation, then finally resorted to hotwire to help us out. We ended up here at $150 a night. Not located near really anything, but here are my thoughts on it all...

Arrival - there were dodgy people hanging out at the desk, staff were as friendly as one would expect. Parking was a bit tight, but we found a good spot and just left the car there for the two days we were here.

Rooms - surprisingly very clean. Bedding was newer and modern. Beds very comfy. Fridge, coffee maker and all the other standard amenities. Towels were very cheap and thin.

Pool - clean - didn't look like it had much use, but nice touch.

Breakfast - excellent fresh and healthy options.

Wifi - free! Worked!

We brought our bikes, and found it was really easy to get to and from the hotel. If we did not have the bikes, it would have been expensive getting in and out of this area. Very out of the way.

Wanted to go to a tranny show, for Asia SF was only two blocks away. (it was sold out) Rocco's - featured of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives was three blocks away - great meal, great service and super close. Wonderful food, well price, huge portions - super yum.

Low point - in the morning, there were shopping cart people hanging out on property. A bit un-nerving - they kept walking by the room - had the curtain open, but had to close, just to creepy. Was a bit worried there might be a break in over night. It never happened, but was not the greatest spot in this regard.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank meritagebc
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We were originally booked to stay at the Broadway Inn and suites,the Civic Centers sister property. Clearly a poorly organised and poorly run chain of hotels as the Broadway location over sold its property by several rooms and so we were forced to stay at this hotel. City was busy with America's cup so no alternatives in our price range available.
Firstly the staff did not once apologize for the inconvenience caused, then we had to wait as our reservation was not even moved over to this property and to top it off the non smoking room we had booked was not available. No compensation offered, just a rude receptionist who clearly did not want to be bothered by the situation. Finally the room we accepted (as tired) did not smell of smoke but like stale un pleasant cleaning products and the room had a wet carpet! Cleary the carpet had just been cleaned and the room should not have been sold.
Do not stay here unless one of the only options or a very cheap rate. The area was not the best but location was close to tram transport. Service was the main down fall and as I work in the industry all other issues were unfortunate but were recoverable.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank katie p
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Location - close enough to walk to restaurants, but just far enough to be in the slightly unsavoury part of town. Lots of noise from the street, but the rooms at the back may be better? Rooms were fine for a budget hotel. Good for a $100 motel close to the centre of town...

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Fliboy001
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

We had to stay one night there because our hotel was overbooked. Its not in the best neighbourhood, very loud and the room was stinky, terrible smell.

We were four people between 25 & 31 and nobody slept well because of the noise and the cleanness.

The good thing about the hotel was the breakfast and the free wifi as well as the free parking. But still, never again!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Nicole J
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Planned to stay there for 4 night last week, people walking in and out the motel till early in the morning.
Someone broke in to my room on the third night and stole all my money and valuable while I was sleeping
Move out on the last night despite already paid for the last night.
It is a bad neighborhood and it is not safe
I will never go back again for the rest of my life.....

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Taylor M
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Easy to park, accessible, cheap. We were given a free upgrade to a King Size room. Very happy. The staff was friendly. No problems. The neighborhood was downtown. We booked it last minute from Hotels.com and found a $84 rate, on a Monday night.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple