“Good value” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #122 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Vancouver, Canada
“Good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

My wife and I often look for great older two-star places in big European cities and are often rewarded by great locations and modest pricing without the size and annoyances of the big chain hotels. The price is right here, and as long as expectations are reined in, guest ought to have a decent experience. Yes, it's on the dodgy end of Mason Street near Market, but folks, it is safe and the street people are harmless and friendly. The building is old, and hasn't had extensive reno work in a while, but clean and well maintained. And where are you going to get a clean and pleasant sleep five minutes off Union Square and within easy walking distance of the SoMa district for this price point? And a two minute stroll to the cable car platform as well as the BART station that takes you directly to and from SFO for a couple of bucks. Pleasant staff, lots of useful info and simple lobby with all day tea and coffee: we skipped the house breakfast and bought pastries down the street before exploring the city or conference-going.

Room Tip: Ask to be located away from Mason Street: a sports bar next door can get a little noisy.
1 Thank Ken R
HotelBijou111, General Manager at Hotel Bijou, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Good Location, Good Price, and it sounds like my staff was helpful. We look forward to a return visit.

Hotel Bijou Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Korean first
Brazil
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

NIce and clean rooms.Location is great to Moscone center and downtown.On the other hand,be ready to deal with a LOT of beggars.At night the surrounding area is kind of empty,and one should be careful walking around.I haven't had any trouble,but be careful about that.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less street noise
1 Thank masoliveira
HotelBijou111, General Manager at Hotel Bijou, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for the review. Yes, we do have a wonderful location. One block from the cable car turn around, Powell Bart Station, San Francisco Shopping Center, and tons of restuarants italian, indian, american, thai, etc... surrounding the restaurant. There are street people but you will encounter that all over San Francisco.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013

I was really unpleasant with the attitude of the receptionist during check-in. She was on the phone and while we were standing in front of her. She made no eye contact and treated us like transparent. Then she hang up the phone turn around look at the computer again made another phone call. I can understand she might have some urgent issue dealing with but at least she can ask can we wait a moment.. none..
the room is rather small than shown in the photo of their website. The room is dim and bed is small. The entire room just make me feel very uncomfortable.No any amenities. No drinking water. No coffee. However, its location really convenience. It is very closed to street car station and cable car station. Nordstorm, Macy's, Forever21, Gucci and so on around the corner. There plenty choices of food on the street around hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jiajiabinks
HotelBijou111, General Manager at Hotel Bijou, responded to this review, 26 April 2013
Dear guest

Thank you for writing a review and I am very sorry if the staff did not give your proper service, an acknolwedgement would have been nice. It seems as if you were not informed as well that we have complinentary coffee, tea, hot cholocate 24/7 in our lobby. Bottled water and sodas are available at the front desk for an additional fee of $1.00 each.
We have some wonderful reviews as to how great my staff is, I do hope that on your return trip to San Francisco you will think of us, we would love the opporunity to show that we not disregard our guests. Dont forget our great shopping location.

Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Sanford, Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

The hotel was clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. We did lose TV service due to Satellite dish issues. The manager refunded us 10% of the total bill. I liked the fact that most major car rental agencies are walking distance from the hotel. I was only disappointed by the breakfast not being included in the price. It was additional $7 which was not bad for San Francisco.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelBijou111, General Manager at Hotel Bijou, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for the review, we are once again sorry for the inconvenience of the cable situation. We look forward to your return visit.

Santa Cruz, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

Hotwire had a surprise hotel at a discounted price. I got a room called ' The Birds'. Well, it looked like the birds were the previous occupant. The bed linens were dingy & ripped. The lamp was broken. The electrical outlets were also broken. Well, a lesson learned from this experience, be wary of surprise boutique hotel. Oh almost forgot, don't use the valet parking service, it took forever to retrieve my car.

Room Tip: Don't fall for a surprise bargain hotel in SF. The location is centralized but it's too nois...
2 Thank Maelle772
HotelBijou111, General Manager at Hotel Bijou, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Dear Guest

I am surprised, are you sure you have the right hotel? I am sorry, I am sure that this is a anomaly our hotel strives for the best for our guests and this is most defenetly not what you have recieved, please contact me if you wish to further discuss, I would love to find out what room it was, so that we can fix immediatly. Thank you for taking the time to alert us.
I hope that you stay in San Francisco was a pleasureable one.

kind Regards

Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

First time in San Francisco -

Clean - Yes
Safe - Yes
Proximity - Union Square is where you want to be. It's where all the shopping is. You can walk to China Town and catch the bus, cable car or trolley to wherever else you want to go.
Subway/Metro/Bart - I took the Bart Subway from SFO. The hotel is literally one block from the Powell Station. Super easy.
Rooms - Kind of small, but it really didn't matter because I was only in the room to sleep.
Bathroom - Clean
Hotel Amenities - None - n/a There is just too much to do in San Francisco rather than sitting in the hotel.
Late Check Out - I had a red eye back to the east coast. They allowed me to store my bags until I needed them, so I wouldn't have to take them with me on my final day (8pm).
Noise Level - Some else commented about the noise. This hotel is in a very popular area, so you're going to hear noise. It really wasn't a big deal for me, but I can see how it may be a problem for light sleepers. Get the ear plugs.
Breakfast - Didn't try it. A lot of food options in the area.

If you're seeking a spa day and to be pampered in your hotel, this is NOT the place for you stay. Choice the Marriott across the street.

If you're just looking for some where safe, clean and reasonable to rest after a long day of shopping and sight seeing, this is the place!

When I go back, I'd stay again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the corner, I hear they are fairly larger.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank blueboxer101
HotelBijou111, General Manager at Hotel Bijou, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for the review, I look forward to your arrival.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

Great place to stay great people working there room was very clean I stayed from the march 14th till 18th Slepted like a baby on the bed and it's just a walk from the Bart and shopping I Will be seeing u guys in june 2013

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Tat2gordy
See you in June! thank you for the review.

Blanca Zelidon