“Basic, bad area..”
Review of Hotel Bijou

Hotel Bijou
Ranked #123 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 6 July 2014

In general the room was clean, staff friendly etc, can't fault the hotel there. During the day the location seems quite good, quite central, near transport links short stroll from Union Square. At night however the street environment can be quite intimidating, though we witnessed nothing violent etc. we felt uncomfortable there.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Roryhy

Reviewed 30 June 2014

"The staff - excellent. The room - clean. The furnishings - worn, but vintage." So says the review by zzptm, and it expresses my impression. I was here to work with SF City Impact in the Tenderloin, and had no illusions about my environment. The hotel is literally on the outer edge of that district, with upscale businesses in one direction and colorful despair in the other.
I liked the style of the hotel, was treated quickly and with courtesy and expertise by the staff. Breakfast was adequate. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank graigf54
HotelBijou111, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Bijou, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Hi Graig!

Thank you so much for writing your review, we appreciate it! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the hotel met your needs during your trip.

I look forward to seeing you again for your return trip

Thank you again!

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Well priced hotel. Managed to get a half way decent rate despite the high price of other downtown hotels. Wanted to avoid the super touristy area of the wharf so chose downtown thinking it would serve as a better home base. The stay was ok. Rooms are kind of tired but understandably for the age of the building. Seemed pretty clean. Toilets were way underpowered and shower was pretty touchy and had some mold on the caulking. Beds were decent although the bedding was kind of skimpy. Staff was very helpful with transportation although we originally arrived in a car and found the hotel doesn't really have any parking agreements set in stone and were forced to drive around the block about six times to find a garage. As for the neighborhood, it's kind of sketchy but I didn't have any problems with anyone. Saw a few people urinating outside and lots of vulgar language. The hotel served our needs of being clean and close to transportation. Didn't spend much time there except for sleeping. I'd prob look elsewhere if I had to do it again simply on the undesired me neighborhood, but the hotel can't change the neighborhood.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Danwad5

Dear Dan,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us! We do our best to keep our rates reasonable, yet competitive with other hotels in the area since we are located near union square. Sorry to hear about the mold in your shower, hopefully you have brought this up to our maintenance has gotten to this by now and have this under control. As for the parking situation - we have two options for parking: you can self-park or do valet parking for an additional charge. Both of these options give you 24 hour access to your vehicle, in and our privileges and your vehicle will be in a secured. We are doing our best to make the neighborhood to feel safe and less "sketchy" for our guest and hopefully next time you come (and stay with us) we can show you all that we have been doing and hopefully you see the difference.

I'm glad you enjoyed a majority of your stay and I hope you will choose us again!
Thank you again!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

The staff - excellent. The room - clean. The furnishings - worn, but vintage. And that's where some people are going to holler "This place is a dump!", as did one visitor there that got bumped from a stay at the Hilton. I saw the Hilton, by the way... wow... but this place isn't Fawlty Towers, either.

I enjoy places with character, and that's this hotel. The wifi worked great, the bathroom had a most unorthodox arrangement, but everything was there, and opening the vents in the bathroom and my window set up a pleasant cross breeze - as the staff recommended.

The staff know how to manage life in this building. Talk to them, and they have great suggestions. Closing my window at night and running a box fan I picked up from the front desk gave me a quiet night's rest. I needed that after sleeping with my window open one night...

OK, this is downtown San Francisco. The hotel and its staff are NOT responsible for the trash men at 4 AM or the bums on the street. I was staying at the hotel for business, and the place was barely within our company rate, after I told them I would take the rental car and daily parking rates and apply them towards the hotel rate. SF is costly for hotels near to the city center, even hotels in bad neighborhoods. This one did the trick.

And though I marched through the valley of bums, yea, I found that the two Indian restaurants across the street are great places to eat. Blondie's Pizza around the corner, next to Rasputin Music, was a fun side trip, as well. It's convenient both to Dottie's as well as the Moscone Center. It's very near the Powell Street subway stop.

It's also an old building. As such, it needs management and a little clever thinking in order to work out a good stay. I loved the retro decor and the movie stills that decorate the place. I didn't like the noise from the bums at night. I didn't like the noise from the sports bar next door, either. But, as I said, a box fan and a closed window made everything worth while. Because you have to take the bad with the good here, I can't give it a "very good" rating. It comes close to actual camping in some aspects. But if you like character, you won't care about the "average" rating and you'll see some good value in booking a room here.

And if you usually stay in resorts and hate roughing it and you got bumped from the Hilton, may God have mercy upon your soul. You are most certainly *not* going to like staying here.

Room Tip: If you can get a room "on the quiet side" of the building, do so. Also, get a box fan to r...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank zzzptm

Hi DW! Thanks for your review!

It was a please speaking with you during your stay you sure made an impression on all of our staff!! Thank you for acknowledging that the staff here knows how to work with the people, as we do. We know all a majority of the things to help our guest be more comfortable and we do our best to ensure that they are. Even though you were here for business, I'm glad you got the time to enjoy yourself as well and try out a lot of the different varieties of foods in the neighborhoods.
The noise we do our best to air out at night, since you left us we have tried out ways to keep our Eddy street side quieter from people noise and so far so good. I know next year you wont be back with us because the conference will be in Las Vegas, but if you're ever back in San Francisco please I hope that you choose the Hotel Bijou again for your stay!

Thanks Again!
Jaleesa - Front Desk Staff

PS. "My Name Is Khan" was an excellent recommendation it played 2 nights in a row after you left. Thank YOU for that!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Room was small, but well-appointed. Breakfast rather minimal considering it's an extra charge; would be happy to pay a few dollars more for more choices. Be aware more-or-less mandatory valet parking is extra, though not unreasonable for downtown SF. And, note that hotel is right on edge of a sketchy neighbourhood, the Tenderloin. Timid travellers will want to avoid walking south.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank FredDoyle
HotelBijou111, General Manager at Hotel Bijou, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for the review, Our breakfast for the cost of $7.05 includes the following, bagels, toast, English muffins, pancakes, waffles, hardboiled eggs, cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, ham, deli turkey, and salami, with cheese variation of pepperjack, swiss, or provolone, tomatoes, cottage cheese, diced peaches, pineapple or strawberry for topping . With several juice options including warm items such as coffee and tea. Buffet Style. Please let us know what items you would like to see added. We are on the border of the tenderloin area, but street people don't bother, and all tourist attractions are in the opposite direction. we look forward to a return visit.

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel itself is clean and not expensive considering the proximity to Union Square and compared to the pricey hotels. BUT the hotel is unfortunately on the border of the Tenderloin District (rough neighborhood) where some beggars and scary looking people hang out.
Only stayed one night. I recommend this place only for budget adult travelers. I hesitate bringing children or senior citizens to this hotel. This hotel is clean and no frills and one block from the Powell Street Cable Car Station. But make sure never to go the opposite direction into the Tenderloin.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank aisle67
HotelBijou111, General Manager at Hotel Bijou, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for writing a review, I am happy to hear the hotel was in good location to your needs, yes we are very central. And that the housekeeping staff maintained good clean standards and that it was reflected on your stay. Yes we do border the tenderloin area however, the street people more wonder than bother people, most guest are also in and out of the area as everyone is usually enjoying San Francisco. We look forward to a return visit.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

People who require wifi NO problems on the 4th floor working fine .close to every thing couldn't aske more
helpful staff,room small but clean and all one needs
Easy to get around bar next door . short walk to transport and restaurants.
great value

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank BAZILBEAR
HotelBijou111, General Manager at Hotel Bijou, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for the review, we made some wifi upgrades in March, and I have much happier guests. Glad to hear that you experience good wifi reception. We hope to see you again soon.