“Felt unsafe and unrested” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Bijou

Hotel Bijou
Ranked #125 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
“Felt unsafe and unrested”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

The room we had was facing the street corner is apparently where all the bums hang out till 4:30 am yelling, cussing, and God knows what! Had the WORST night ever in my life, no sleep what so ever and felt scared and stressed the whole time.

Room Tip: If you are desperate for a less expensive hotel near the Warfiled do not get a room close the street...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank angela j
HotelBijou111, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Bijou, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Angela,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Hotel Bijou. We do have rooms that face the inside of the hotel and are a little quieter which you can request if the noise is too much for you from outside. You could also call down to the front desk and report a noise disturbance and we would be able to investigate and take appropriate action. We apologize that you had this experience with us and hope to see you again to give us a second shot.

Thank you again for taking the time to write to us,
Jaleesa - Front Desk Staff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Korean first
Newark, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I had very nice experience staying in this hotel for two whole weeks in last year. What really impressed me is that the hotel service was wonderful and the crew was very nice and friendly. For an example, I lost my receipt somehow but I need it for accounting information. I contacted the hotel and they sent a copy to me in hours and also received a warm thanking email for my staying.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Luckyman2014
HotelBijou111, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Bijou, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear guest,

I am so pleased to hear that you had a very nice experience staying with us here at the Hotel Bijou. I hope that when you have another stay in San Francisco you decided to stay here with us so we can show you again, how valuable you are to us!

Thank you again and see you soon!
Jaleesa - Front Desk
Carlow, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

In general the room was clean, staff friendly etc, can't fault the hotel there. During the day the location seems quite good, quite central, near transport links short stroll from Union Square. At night however the street environment can be quite intimidating, though we witnessed nothing violent etc. we felt uncomfortable there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Roryhy
Sherwood, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

"The staff - excellent. The room - clean. The furnishings - worn, but vintage." So says the review by zzptm, and it expresses my impression. I was here to work with SF City Impact in the Tenderloin, and had no illusions about my environment. The hotel is literally on the outer edge of that district, with upscale businesses in one direction and colorful despair in the other.
I liked the style of the hotel, was treated quickly and with courtesy and expertise by the staff. Breakfast was adequate. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank graigf54
Hi Graig!

Thank you so much for writing your review, we appreciate it! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the hotel met your needs during your trip.

I look forward to seeing you again for your return trip

Thank you again!
Schererville, in
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Well priced hotel. Managed to get a half way decent rate despite the high price of other downtown hotels. Wanted to avoid the super touristy area of the wharf so chose downtown thinking it would serve as a better home base. The stay was ok. Rooms are kind of tired but understandably for the age of the building. Seemed pretty clean. Toilets were way underpowered and shower was pretty touchy and had some mold on the caulking. Beds were decent although the bedding was kind of skimpy. Staff was very helpful with transportation although we originally arrived in a car and found the hotel doesn't really have any parking agreements set in stone and were forced to drive around the block about six times to find a garage. As for the neighborhood, it's kind of sketchy but I didn't have any problems with anyone. Saw a few people urinating outside and lots of vulgar language. The hotel served our needs of being clean and close to transportation. Didn't spend much time there except for sleeping. I'd prob look elsewhere if I had to do it again simply on the undesired me neighborhood, but the hotel can't change the neighborhood.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Danwad5
Dear Dan,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us! We do our best to keep our rates reasonable, yet competitive with other hotels in the area since we are located near union square. Sorry to hear about the mold in your shower, hopefully you have brought this up to our maintenance has gotten to this by now and have this under control. As for the parking situation - we have two options for parking: you can self-park or do valet parking for an additional charge. Both of these options give you 24 hour access to your vehicle, in and our privileges and your vehicle will be in a secured. We are doing our best to make the neighborhood to feel safe and less "sketchy" for our guest and hopefully next time you come (and stay with us) we can show you all that we have been doing and hopefully you see the difference.

I'm glad you enjoyed a majority of your stay and I hope you will choose us again!
Thank you again!
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

The staff - excellent. The room - clean. The furnishings - worn, but vintage. And that's where some people are going to holler "This place is a dump!", as did one visitor there that got bumped from a stay at the Hilton. I saw the Hilton, by the way... wow... but this place isn't Fawlty Towers, either.

I enjoy places with character, and that's this hotel. The wifi worked great, the bathroom had a most unorthodox arrangement, but everything was there, and opening the vents in the bathroom and my window set up a pleasant cross breeze - as the staff recommended.

The staff know how to manage life in this building. Talk to them, and they have great suggestions. Closing my window at night and running a box fan I picked up from the front desk gave me a quiet night's rest. I needed that after sleeping with my window open one night...

OK, this is downtown San Francisco. The hotel and its staff are NOT responsible for the trash men at 4 AM or the bums on the street. I was staying at the hotel for business, and the place was barely within our company rate, after I told them I would take the rental car and daily parking rates and apply them towards the hotel rate. SF is costly for hotels near to the city center, even hotels in bad neighborhoods. This one did the trick.

And though I marched through the valley of bums, yea, I found that the two Indian restaurants across the street are great places to eat. Blondie's Pizza around the corner, next to Rasputin Music, was a fun side trip, as well. It's convenient both to Dottie's as well as the Moscone Center. It's very near the Powell Street subway stop.

It's also an old building. As such, it needs management and a little clever thinking in order to work out a good stay. I loved the retro decor and the movie stills that decorate the place. I didn't like the noise from the bums at night. I didn't like the noise from the sports bar next door, either. But, as I said, a box fan and a closed window made everything worth while. Because you have to take the bad with the good here, I can't give it a "very good" rating. It comes close to actual camping in some aspects. But if you like character, you won't care about the "average" rating and you'll see some good value in booking a room here.

And if you usually stay in resorts and hate roughing it and you got bumped from the Hilton, may God have mercy upon your soul. You are most certainly *not* going to like staying here.

Room Tip: If you can get a room "on the quiet side" of the building, do so. Also, get a box fan to r...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank zzzptm
Hi DW! Thanks for your review!

It was a please speaking with you during your stay you sure made an impression on all of our staff!! Thank you for acknowledging that the staff here knows how to work with the people, as we do. We know all a majority of the things to help our guest be more comfortable and we do our best to ensure that they are. Even though you were here for business, I'm glad you got the time to enjoy yourself as well and try out a lot of the different varieties of foods in the neighborhoods.
The noise we do our best to air out at night, since you left us we have tried out ways to keep our Eddy street side quieter from people noise and so far so good. I know next year you wont be back with us because the conference will be in Las Vegas, but if you're ever back in San Francisco please I hope that you choose the Hotel Bijou again for your stay!

Thanks Again!
Jaleesa - Front Desk Staff

PS. "My Name Is Khan" was an excellent recommendation it played 2 nights in a row after you left. Thank YOU for that!
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Room was small, but well-appointed. Breakfast rather minimal considering it's an extra charge; would be happy to pay a few dollars more for more choices. Be aware more-or-less mandatory valet parking is extra, though not unreasonable for downtown SF. And, note that hotel is right on edge of a sketchy neighbourhood, the Tenderloin. Timid travellers will want to avoid walking south.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank FredDoyle
HotelBijou111, General Manager at Hotel Bijou, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for the review, Our breakfast for the cost of $7.05 includes the following, bagels, toast, English muffins, pancakes, waffles, hardboiled eggs, cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, ham, deli turkey, and salami, with cheese variation of pepperjack, swiss, or provolone, tomatoes, cottage cheese, diced peaches, pineapple or strawberry for topping . With several juice options including warm items such as coffee and tea. Buffet Style. Please let us know what items you would like to see added. We are on the border of the tenderloin area, but street people don't bother, and all tourist attractions are in the opposite direction. we look forward to a return visit.

Kind Regards