“Stop looking you've found it!”

Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #49 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 11 November 2011

The staff were fun and extremely helpful. The wine reception at night they do is a blast! Its in a great location, we went to some great restaurants and union square is only a 10 min walk. The hotel is unique and clean and overall is excellent value for money. Only downside is slow wifi that drops.

• Stayed: November 2011
Write a ReviewReviews (2,960)

Reviewed 11 November 2011

I found San Francisco hotels generally very expensive, and this was the best I could get for the price.

The neighbourhood - just south of the chi-chi Nob Hill area, but also just north of the sketchy Tenderloin. It is, however, quite safe.

Parking - $30 for 24 hrs at the hotel with unlimited in/out, but if you're out for whole days you might want to park in the lot opposite for $10 (10 hours). I found the valet a little slow too, as compared to LA or Vegas.

Rooms - the hotel is old and the carpets are a bit manky, the doors a bit creaky. They did refurbish it a little and the most important thing for me was that the bathroom was clean, and it was - almost immaculate. The walls are thin and the windows are old fashioned lift-up ones, so there's a lot of noise both from the street and the rooms around you.

Staff - very friendly and willing to help.

I might choose an apartment to cut costs next time, as I did feel I was paying a lot for such an old room.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 November 2011

I lived a few blocks away from this hotel for years, and miss it a lot. My husband and I decided to stay here for the weekend of my birthday.

We had a GREAT experience--not only because they upgraded us to a huge suite. I would not classify this neighborhood as the tenderloin exactly, and I disagree that this neighborhood is unsafe at night. You should always be aware of your surroundings at night in an urban environment especially, but this neighborhood is not bad. The vicinity to Polk Street is definitely a plus and it's within easy walking distance to Union Square.

The staff were very friendly and funny. Next time I'll try the restaurant... but the lobby has the nice wine perk at cocktail hour.

My favorite hotel in the area is The Rex, but it's become too expensive for us unfortunately except very special occasions. This is a nice second choice.

Room Tip: Higher floor would be my recommendation. My ONLY peeve: I can't stand the coffee makers they hav...
1  Thank quesitamama
Reviewed 11 November 2011

We stayed at the Carlton for 4 nights on our first ever trip to San Francisco. From the minute we entered the place we got a really friendly vibe about it. The Staff were very helpful and very quick witted, they had us laughing from the moment we checked in. We had a room at the back of the Hotel which was spacious and had everything we needed. The Receptionist provided a map and warned us to stay away from the Tenderloin Area (especially at night). We found directions no problem to follow and ate in a variety of eateries from, Chinese, French, Yehmeni and steak houses all within reasonable distance from the Hotel. We would have no hesitation in returning to the Carlton if we can manage over to San Francisco again. It's a lovely City full of friendly people, we only managed to scratch the surface of what it has to offer.

Room Tip: Try for the back of the Hotel. Possibly due to it's construction it can sometimes be a bit noisy...
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Fun staff. Wine in the evening. Way too expensive.

If you follow the street to the north a Saturday night. You can find a party or happening.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 8 November 2011

My husband and i stayed here for 5 nights as a fun couples trip for my birthday. The lobby is an eclectic fun decor. They have a daily wine-mixer at 5:30 and one of the hotel employees plays keyboard.

The hotel is a bit older...which is fine with me. A couple of things in our room were a bit run-down (for example the paint on the ceiling in the bathroom was peeling) but overall we were content with the room and happy to have a walk-in closet so we didn't have to see our clutter during out stay. We could never find any thermostat for our room and it didn't appear to have air conditioning.

The hotel's location is great for exploring the city. Everying is a a failry short bus ride away. We bought Clipper cards prior to our arrival and went all over the city.

So, everything was hunkey-dorey for the first two nights. After our third night, i wore up to notice two bumps (bites!) on my chest. I didn't think too much about it because i'd pulled back the linens to check for bed bugs and didn't spot anything suspecious when we checked-in (but i'm not a professional exterminator). After our forth night, i had a few bumps (bites!) around my ankles. Again, i didn't think too much about it. Our fith (and final) night there, i woke up itching and discovered multiple bits on my legs and in a few other unmentionable spots. I couldn't fall back to sleep and in the morning, i pulled back the sheets and noticed multiple blood spots. We had been dined upon.

We had to check-out early to catch our return flight and my husband told the clerk that he thought our room had bed bugs. The clerk didn't even look up when he told him about our experience nor did he ask us any details about why we thought that were the case.

This is an affordable hotel and if you get a room without bed-bugs, you'd be getting a great value. As it stands now, we're washing everything we had with us in extra hot water and drying it on extra-hot settings in the hopes of not bringing home an unintended sourvenir. We stayed in room 412 and i would recomend staying on a different floor on the other side of the building.

I would actually rate this 2.5 stars because of the bed bugs and the lack of interest on the part of the hotel staff when informed that a room may be infested. Had we been bed-bug free, i'd probably be giving the Hotel Carlton a 3.5.

Room Tip: Ask if your room has recently been treated for bed bugs.
4  Thank oriahlee
Reviewed 5 November 2011

This is a decent hotel if you're on a budget visiting San Francisco. It's in the Tenderloin, so walking at night around this neighborhood is not advised. Centrally located to get to almost anywhere in the City. A few blocks off the cable car line, but hilly, so be prepared. Within walking distance of Union Square for shopping and restaurants. Friendly staff. My room was small and very noisy -- 2nd floor facing Sutter which is busy day/night with cars and pedestrians. Bring ear plugs. My room was small and with a dinky old tv, however, my colleagues described their rooms as nice with flatscreens. Go figure. Restaurant/bar off lobby. Valet parking $30/night. Parking lot across the street - not sure how much.

Room Tip: ask for high floor
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business