“historical hotel”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Tucson, Arizona
“historical hotel”
Reviewed 28 March 2013

I loved staying in this historical hotel. The hotel has preserved many of the historical details of the building while providing all the modern comforts you expect from a Joie de Vivre hotel. The front staff was super friendly and unpretentious. We enjoyed the wine reception and music was really cool. The hotel is a short walk from Chinatown, there are parking garages nearby. The hotel parking garage, while more expensive, is open 24 hours in contrast to the nearby garages. We were able to find parking easily on the street.

2 Thank C H
Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Thank you for a terrific review! We are happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate your compliments and appreciation of the historical features at the Hotel Carlton! We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed 28 March 2013

We stayed one night in Hotel Carlton. It is a charming boutique hotel with great customer service. We asked for a late check out thinking maybe 1pm and they were able to give us 2pm. Everyone in the front desk was especially helpful and courteous. Room was comfortable and clean. Neighborhood was lively and fun on Friday night. We did not try the onsite restaurant as we arrived late after we already had dinner. Like I said, we only stayed for one night but would look forward to staying more nights next time we are in SF.

1 Thank Jayhawks1995
Thank you for an outstanding review! We are elated to hear that you enjoyed your stay. and that we were able to accommodate your needs. Be sure to give the Saha Restaurant a try next time. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return to the Hotel Carlton!
san jose
Reviewed 27 March 2013

The check-in process was quick and friendly. The view was great from the top floor. The bed and bathroom were good quality.

The noise ensured that I will never recommend this hotel. I had to listen to the conversation in the next room the entire night. The neighbor wasn't yelling or screaming so I was very surprised that I not only could I hear noise from the next room, I could hear the exact words from the conversation and TV.

The TV in my room had no signal. When I called the front desk, I was told that someone would come to my room and fix it. Nobody ever came.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank gvu001
Thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you encountered during your stay. Our hotel was built in the 1920's so it may not be up to your expectations. We hope that you'll join us again, and be sure to ask for a quiet room! Please return soon, we look forward to making up for past experiences!
Lisle, IL
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I come to SF to visit family. My mom lives in a 1 bedroom a few blocks from this hotel and has no room for me to sleep so Carlton is not only convenient to her but also affordable for my needs. This was my second time staying there and I don't see any reason to shop around next time.

First thing I noticed was that despite the 2 years that had passed since my last time staying there, the same faces greeted me upon check-in and every night I came in/morning I walked out. The hotel industry has a fairly high level of turnover so seeing the same people from my trip two years ago tells me that Carlton is a nice place to work and nice places to work make for happy workers who pass along the Happy to the rest of us. Not a small observation IMO.

I came in my second night with a couple tins of tiramisu my mom had left in the car. Tiramisu unfortunately needs to be refrigerated so I was looking at either eating it all in my room that night (after already indulging in a large slice, not the best prospect on the horizon) or letting it go to waste. But the clerks at the desk resolved the dilemna by offering me a refrigerator to be brought up to my room - I didn't ask for it, didn't know it was even a possibility. And lo and behold, 3 minutes later, I had a small refrigerator in my room and the tiramisu was safe till the next day when I could return it to my mom.

The rooms are comfy - not huge but I had enough room for a decent workout (after all that tiramisu, come on!) and I enjoy the decor. I did not partake in the daily wine reception so I can't speak to that but I was encouraged on multiple occasions to do so, if I desired.

All-in-all, great property, great location (Lower Nob Hill), great employees - will be back whenever I come back.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank dbz9
Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2013
Thank you for an outstanding review! We are elated to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We are pleased that we could take care of your needs to save the tiramisu! Yum! We appreciate your loyalty, and look forward to your next visit. We hope to see you again soon!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 March 2013

My husband and I stayed here last week for 6 nights. We really can't give a bad review as we enjoyed our stay; the bed was so comfy, room had character and the price was very affordable for central SF. The only slight negatives would be that the walls are a little thin and the area is just a bit further out of the CBD than expected, but these are just little compromises for good value, good service and a pleasant stay.

2 Thank Sophie L
Thank you for a great review! We are pleased to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your stay. We appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. We hope that you'll join us again upon your next visit to San Francisco, and we look forward to your return!
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 26 March 2013

This place is really cute and doesn't break the bank. The rooms are simple but nicely decorated, and I felt very at home. The front desk was very polite and helpful, and the free wine in the afternoon was a nice touch. :) Valet parking is around $30, I think, so not cheap but definitely not as bad as some other places. The location isn't quite as great as it could be, but it's close enough to everywhere I like to go that it isn't an issue for me. I would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank bonnie_521
Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2013
Thank you for an outstanding review! We are happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your next visit, and truly appreciate your loyalty. We hope to see you again soon!
Gadsden, Alabama
Reviewed 26 March 2013

GREAT experience from the moment I walked in until I checked out. First the entire staff was GREAT!!! This might not seem important to some but it was to me, because this was my first time in this wonderful city. Everyone from the front desk to the cleaning staff were very friendly and spoke everytime they saw me, "good morning", etc. The whole experience of SF was new to me & they made me feel like this was home, like I was part of the family. Getting that sort of vibe is very unusual, if non-existant. So now I consider them part of MY family. I will be back to SF as soon as I can, I hope in the fall. The booking process will be VERY EASY at that time. I will stay nowhere else but Hotel Carlton at any time that I return to SF.
Also the entire hotel was decorated very nice and in good taste. Everything from the lobby, elevators, hallways and my room was VERY VERY CLEAN. Very Impressed!!!
Finally the front desk staff were very willing to help with tours, transportation, etc.
When I go back I want to speak with the General Manager and congratulate them on a job VERY well done!!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Wade G
Thank you for an excellent review! We are happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. We hope that you'll join us again at the Saha Restaurant, and we look forward to your return!