Regrettably, I must agree with the reviews from Kay M and Aaron C. My girl and I were scheduled to attend a SF Opera meet & greet on Friday night, and had tickets for Barber of Seville on Saturday. The Carlton seemed to be in the ideal location (walking distance to both War Memorial Opera House and Union Square), and certainly appeared charming.
Upon checking in on the afternoon, we found the room to be very chilly. We initially thought that the windows were open because of the loud traffic noise from Sutter Street. However all windows except the small one in the bathroom were closed. Like several of the other reviewers, we were flabbergasted to find out that there was no heating/thermostat inside the room. The lobby personnel advised that they would supply us with a portable electrical heater. It was a small Optimus with maximum power output of 1200 W that is selling at Walmart for $40. We let it run at maximum for several hours, yet it wasn't able to generate enough heat to raise the room temperature to a level that we would have found comfortable. Then almost no sleep at night due to unbearable noise, and I ended up with (1) a ruined evening at the Opera due to lack of sleep on the night before; (2) spending Sunday and today in bed with a cold and headache.
I can appreciate the stated "attention to conservation" of the Carlton hotel; however the lack of room heating/conditioning along with the too chilly default is in my view completely misguided and a showstopper. I cannot recommend this hotel, and do not intend to ever stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The historic Hotel Carlton offers an international ambiance paired with outstanding guest service. Built in 1927, this nine-story San Francisco hotel is 3 blocks from the California Street cable car line, 6 blocks from Union Square, 8 blocks from the main entrance to Chinatown and 9 blocks from Civic Center. Complimentary evening wine receptions are held in Hotel Carlton's lobby nightly and feature live music from local artists. In addition, Hotel Carlton provides complimentary wireless internet to all guests; upgraded bandwidth is also available (surcharge applies). Recently renovated, all 161 non-smoking guestrooms at Hotel Carlton feature remodeled bathrooms including decorative floor and wall tiling, new vanities and sinks. The public spaces showcase cross-cultural design that incorporates treasures from Africa, India, Nepal, Laos and Asia. Our restaurant Saha features award-winning Arabic Fusion cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, Ctrip TA, Southall Travel, Ebookers, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carlton Hotel San Francisco
- Hotel Carlton San Francisco