First off, I enjoyed my three-night stay: nice-sized room, big closet, comfy bed, windows that open, a ceiling fan. Very nice-quality toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, shower gel) in the shower, which I appreciated. The staff was welcoming, friendly, and helpful. A wide variety of people stay there, which I also enjoyed. Restaurant on-site, filtered water, wine reception nightly, valet parking. (Although the resourceful can find free parking on the street.) However...
I would give this place 5 stars, because the property + location + price is a tremendous deal. If you don't mind walking or public transit the Carlton is super-convenient to Union Square, Powell St, California-Van Ness cable car line, Hyde St cable car line, all without the crowds and noise of a hotel closerto Union Square, or the grime of a hotel in the Tenderloin.
But their wifi needs some lovin'. Most of the time I didn't bother because it was so slow. But the worst offense is you only get one device per room! So if you and your spouse each have a smartphone, or tablet, you have to pay an additional $10/day for connectivity--slow connectivity.
A minor quibble was reserving a room with two twin beds and checking in to find there were none, so we shared a king. Might not work for everybody, though.
Overall, I did enjoy my stay tremendously.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The historic Hotel Carlton offers an international ambiance paired with outstanding guest service. Built in 1927, this nine-story San Francisco hotel is 3 blocks from the California Street cable car line, 6 blocks from Union Square, 8 blocks from the main entrance to Chinatown and 9 blocks from Civic Center. Complimentary evening wine receptions are held in Hotel Carlton's lobby nightly and feature live music from local artists. In addition, Hotel Carlton provides complimentary wireless internet to all guests; upgraded bandwidth is also available (surcharge applies). Recently renovated, all 161 non-smoking guestrooms at Hotel Carlton feature remodeled bathrooms including decorative floor and wall tiling, new vanities and sinks. The public spaces showcase cross-cultural design that incorporates treasures from Africa, India, Nepal, Laos and Asia. Our restaurant Saha features award-winning Arabic Fusion cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Odigeo, Agoda, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Cancelon, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carlton Hotel San Francisco
- Hotel Carlton San Francisco