“Solid choice”

Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #45 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 25 July 2014

First off, I enjoyed my three-night stay: nice-sized room, big closet, comfy bed, windows that open, a ceiling fan. Very nice-quality toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, shower gel) in the shower, which I appreciated. The staff was welcoming, friendly, and helpful. A wide variety of people stay there, which I also enjoyed. Restaurant on-site, filtered water, wine reception nightly, valet parking. (Although the resourceful can find free parking on the street.) However...

I would give this place 5 stars, because the property + location + price is a tremendous deal. If you don't mind walking or public transit the Carlton is super-convenient to Union Square, Powell St, California-Van Ness cable car line, Hyde St cable car line, all without the crowds and noise of a hotel closerto Union Square, or the grime of a hotel in the Tenderloin.

But their wifi needs some lovin'. Most of the time I didn't bother because it was so slow. But the worst offense is you only get one device per room! So if you and your spouse each have a smartphone, or tablet, you have to pay an additional $10/day for connectivity--slow connectivity.

A minor quibble was reserving a room with two twin beds and checking in to find there were none, so we shared a king. Might not work for everybody, though.

Overall, I did enjoy my stay tremendously.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank wishfrog
Pam J, General Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank you Wishfrog for your kind review of your stay at Hotel Carlton! We are so happy you loved the service, location and decor of the hotel as well as our restaurant and nightly wine reception. We will speak with our guest internet service provider about the setting on our wifi access so more devices are allowed per room as you are correct that only 1 device is not sufficient. We will work with our provider to process a refund for the extra internet service you incurred. We hope you come back to visit us soon!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I go to SF once a year for work and this hotel is conveniently located to where I am working. I stayed there last year, and while it wasn't the most impressive hotel ever, my experience last year was fine and this hotel was my first choice for my trip this year due to location. After my experience this year I will NEVER stay at this hotel again.

When I arrived it was late at night and front door was locked. Desk clerk takes his time to even get on intercom and ask me what I want (got the impression he thought I was a vagrant trying to break into the hotel). I explain I have a reservation. He asks for my name to confirm and then finally lets me in. Not very welcoming, but gives me room key.

Room itself is pretty bad. The radiator is noisy the entire time but the walls are also soooo paper thin I can hear every single sound on the floor the entire stay. I hear every conversation in every room (which means I also have no privacy). Guests in room next to mine were pounding on my wall at 10pm on Sat night because I guess my TV (which was low) was too loud for them and they wouldn't stop until we turned it off. I heard people having sex all night one of the nights.

The acoustics situation in the hotel is totally unacceptable and the WORST I have ever seen and I stay at a hotel at least 1-2 times/month for work trips. When I checked out the clerk did not ask how my stay was. Overall, terrible stay and terrible experience. Hugely overpriced. Won't stay here again. If you are visiting SF, stay at one of the hotels by the airport. Better rates, better rooms and better service.

4  Thank mereditherin
Pam J, General Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Hotel Carlton. I appreciate your speaking with me on the phone earlier today and once again, I apologize for the noise and service levels you experienced. As I mentioned we are in the process of testing a few different sound proofing initiatives at the hotel that we hope to implement as soon as we determine which has the greatest impact. We will also be using your experience in our upcoming team service training so that future guests do not have similar experiences. We hope you choose to try us again when you are in town next year.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

The hotel has a nice balance between vintage and new furniture and atmosphere. The restaurant is good for breakfast. The staff in both the restaurant and hotel took the term excellent customer service a whole new level. They really like their jobs and works for the hotel. Everyone I met was always very helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Jamie L, Front Office Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Thank you Donna for the great review! I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the decor, the restaurant and the service you experienced while you were our guest.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stayed for 4 nights and have a mixed review of this place:

Pros
- Staff is friendly
- Rooms are clean
- filtered water available on 3 floors
- bed was comfy
- Price was reasonable for San Francisco hotels

Cons
- Walls are paper thin...i asked for a quiet room and got a corner room. I thought this would be great until I could hear both the TVs of my neighbours and and any phone conversations they were having.

- I didn't think the neighbourhood was great. There are certain ways to get to this place so be selective which streets you take. I found walking down Sutter was generally pretty safe. So if you need to get to Union Square use Sutter as your main path.

- I needed to be in Union Square area a lot so I don't think I would come back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you KentWeare for your review of our hotel. We know that hearing your feedback is one of the best ways that we can learn and continue to grow and improve. Thank you for the great comments about our service, cleanliness and price of our rooms!

Many thanks again!

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed at the Hotel, as part of a Cosmos Tour. 5.30 drinks on the house! Rooms adequate, bearing in mind the location, 15 minutes walk to central San Francisco. For a sandwich Sutter Fine Foods is 3 minute walk. Inside is a deli which make the best sandwiches I've ever tasted. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Jamie L, Front Office Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Thank you so much Alanbullafc for the great review! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and the 5:30 Happy 1/2 Hour we offer in our lobby. It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the close proximity to the heart of downtown Hotel Carlton offers as well as some fantastic food and dining experiences nearby!

Thank you again! We hope to see you in the future back at Hotel Carlton!

Reviewed 18 July 2014

The best staff ever! Thanks a lot for these wonderful moments. We could not have found a better hotel for our first time in San Francisco! Staff and management members are kind and very helpful, and the room was so cosy. A great moment!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your first visit to San Francisco and your stay at Hotel Carlton. We are happy to be part of your experience and hope you come to see us again soon!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Booked a room cause I had a event at The Regency Ballroom that Saturday. I rarely go to San Francisco so did not really know what to expect. Easily checked in to one bed room. The staff was very friendly and informative about where to go. The only confusion there was where to park. But the staff also let me know about the garage close by. I found a good park right in front of the hotel. Great food at the restaurant as well.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Thank you Leslie for the great review! I'm so glad that you were pleased with your first time experience to San Francisco and your stay at Hotel Carlton with it's close proximity to the Regency Center! Thank you for the great feedback about our staff and the parking instructions! I'll be sure to touch base with everyone again and ensure we are more clear about options nearby.

We hope to see you again in the future!!