“There are better options”

Comfort Inn by the Bay
Ranked #94 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 11 April 2014

This was recommended as a hotel close to a conference at the Fort Mason centre. The location is good. But the very dirty windows gave the room a dingy feel, the windows don't open, the air conditioning is ancient, and worst of all for a business trip or any sort of trip in 2014, the wifi kept flaking out. I called the front desk and they said it was working for everyone else. I called the next morning and the front desk had me call their service provider (!) who then called the front desk (!!). So I think the front desk was just trying to get rid of me and couldn't really be bothered. The wifi worked for a while after that, then flaked out again. After staying here two nights I did some research and found much nicer hotels with working wifi for the same price. I gather a lot of the guests were there on packages so their rate may have been much less, but as a basic hotel I don't think they can justify their rates if they're anything near a good hotel.

I will say the included breakfast was ok, but of course there are better breakfast spots in the area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank personnee
Write a ReviewReviews (1,194)

Reviewed 1 April 2014

I stayed here last night. I had a king size bed. The room looked great, I had a good night's sleep. However the best part of the stay was the staff. Each member of the front desk (including a woman who saw me check in and spoke to me at the bus station) was helpful and knowledgable. Instead of taking taxis which I planned to do, I was introduced to public transportation by the staff. I can only imagine how much money I saved, and I got a good sense of San Francisco. I was able to get around easily and felt self-confident. Alex especially took the time to locate places for me. I would highly recommend the hotel (as well as a visit to San Francisco; I have been here just over 24 hours and have already met some amazing people.

I also want to thank everyone who takes the time to write a review. It is very helpful to know where to go, and some things to expect, in a new city. tripadvisor rocks!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Atiya-in-Raleigh
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Have just come back from a four night stay here and miss it and San Francisco already, the staff were always very nice and helpful when we spoke to them. The rooms and everywhere else was very clean. Nice sized room and very comfy bed. Breakfast was decent and always got a table. I would stay here again without doubt.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed here 5 nights as a family of four. Rooms are spacious and ours looked out to the Golden Gate Bridge (L5). Easy walk to Fisherman's Wharf.

Our maid Eva was lovely and our kids loved that she would line up their toys each day. After a long day out they loved walking in each day and seeing this.

Breakfast was a great variety including fresh fruit although could get busy.

Only complaint was the WiFi was terrible but if you used before 8am seemed better.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lark1962
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

I would recommend this hotel for various reasons.

It is conveniently located near Palace of Fine Arts, Lombard St (crooked road), Conservatory of Flowers, and Japanese Tea Garden.
It has a good view of te Gold Gate bridge (request for room with the view).
Staff are responsive- in spite of bein busy on the phone.
Complimentary, and filling, breakfast.
The room I checked in is amply spaced for a group of 3; enough towels; comfortable beds.

Tip: the parking space is compact and its entrance is on Lombard St, costs $26+tax per day.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Olivia Q
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I'm not sure why this hotel gets such a low rating. I traveled with my children, all in their twenties and we were very happy with it. Great view of the Golden Gate Bridge, easy access to Muni buses and walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39. The breakfast was good and never overcrowded. The room was nice and beds very comfortable. We found the front desk to be very helpful and friendly. Lots of things to see and do in San Francisco! We also took a day trip down the coast to Monterey and Carmel, beautiful. I wish we would have had a couple of extra says but had a wonderful time with my family. I definitely would recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Upper floors. Golden Gate Bridge side
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank how216
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We visited San Francisco in March to see the sites. I was a little apprehensive as Comfort Inns seem to vary in quality. I was very pleased with this hotel.

It appears to be recently remodeled. The rooms while not fancy or spacious, but were clean and more than adequate. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The hotel is in a wonderful location just a short walk-able distance from the touristy attractions by the piers.

They had they typical breakfast for these sorts of places, the waffle machines, pastries, cereals, juices, fruit, etc. They also had some sausage and eggs that folks seem to be enjoying. I passed as I do not eat meat and the eggs looked like they were from a box. The meal was adequate though. My only gripe was the plates and utensils at breakfast. Most of these places utilize paper and plastic. They had plates that looked like they had seen better days and the metal utensils were about the cheapest I have ever seen. I think I would have been happier with plastic.

If I were to go San Francisco again, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple