“A Good Vacation At The Inn By the Bay”

Comfort Inn by the Bay
Ranked #102 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
“A Good Vacation At The Inn By the Bay”
Reviewed 22 July 2006

(06/19/06-06/24/06) I spent five nights at The Comfort Inn By The Bay, My room was on the City side and it was as pictured on the website, Room was adequate but on the small side, TV, AC, iron, no refrigerator.I will probably book the view rooms on my next visit. A good breakfast was provided . Most positive: The staff as they were professionals with a friendly attitude. I actually misplaced my wallet with hundreds in travellers checks when I checked out. The checks were returned to American Express
and my wallet was mailed to my Kailua ,Hawaii home. Most Negative: Please tell the manager to purchase better and more comfortable pillows. All in all I really enjoyed my trip as as my wife Diane and I explored San Francisco, biked the Golden Gate Bridge all the way to Sausalito and then to Tiburon. (Blazing Saddles Bike Rentals), Fishermen's Wharf, enjoyed the play "Spelling Bee" at the Post Street Theater, shopping as my wife enjoys this activity, very good restaurants nearby including
Antica Trattoria(Italian),Slanted Door at the Ferry Building, and the Boudin Sourdough Bakery and Cafe at Fishermen's Wharf. We also enjoyed the Alcatraz tour and several attractions which was included in the City Pass. The City pass also allowed you to ride the Muni and Trolley cars. We rented our rental car at Budget also on Van Ness Ave after we checked out and drove to Lake Tahoe and then to Reno. I would certainly recommend Comfort Inn By the Bay and I would return to this hotel on my next visit.. The hotel was conveniently located and it was in a quiet and reputable neighborhood (Russian Hiill) along the bus routes. (By the way I did have may main cash and credit card wallet with me as I carry two wallets).(Clifford-Kailua Hawaii)

• Liked — LOCATION, NEIGHBORHOOD, QUIET ROOM, THE STAFF,
  • Disliked — The PILLOWS IN THE ROOM
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank KAILUAKID

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Korean first
Fairfax, VA
Reviewed 14 July 2006

Nice hotel at the corner of Lombard and Van Ness (US 101). You can walk down to all of the attractions along the bay in about 20 minutes. Walk down Van Ness and take a right on Bay and then a left on one of the cross streets down to the bay to avoid the hills. You are also close to the crooked part of Lombard Street. Now, this is an uphill walk. Room was small, but very nice. High Speed Internet worked very well. Upper level odd numbered rooms have a view of San Francisco Bay and cost extra for the view. Even numbered upper level rooms have a good view as well. Lower level rooms may have road noise as Lombard and Van Ness is a major intersection. Breakfast was good and I went early to avoid the wait for seats that happened later on in the breakfast hours. There are a lot of restaurants in the immediate area as well as the ones down by the bay. The only thing that kept me from rating this hotel 5 stars was the parking garage. It is very tight down there. Be careful! Even though it says two way traffic, I don't know how two cars could pass each other. Also, the total cost for parking is about $35 a night when you factor in the city parking tax. I didn't move my car while I was there, but since everything is within walking distance or a short ride on public transit, it didn't affect me that much. Overall, a good stay. I'd stay at this Comfort Inn again.

• Stayed July 2006
9 Thank TravellerMH
Covington, Louisiana
Reviewed 18 June 2006

We went for our 30th anniversary and had a wonderful time. Staff treated us like family. Great breakfast and our room was perfect with a great view of bay and GG bridge. Very convenient location -we walked everywhere. Bus line runs along Van Ness also. We already miss the friends we made at the front desk. All in all we would love to return next year.

• Stayed May 2006
5 Thank deeed
Milton Keynes, UK
Reviewed 8 June 2006

We stayed at the Comfort Inn by the Bay for 5 nights. The hotel was clean, well organised with friendly staff and the rooms were good value. Breakfast is included and is a help yourself buffet with the basics such as muffins, waffles & various breads. The Breakfast room can be very busy though hence you may have to wait for a table. We had 2 different rooms (a Queen size for 3 nights and a King size with 2 double beds for 2 nights which also looked out at the bay and the Golden Gate Bridge) due to availability whern we booked. The latter room was only slightly more expensive but almost twice the size and had the fantastic Bay view so I would certainly ask for this if visiting again. The hotel doesn't have a restaurant/bar or gym/pool so be prepared to find these if required. The Voodoo Lounge across the road is worth a visit as it is small and friendly bar, and open to late. Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the hotel as it does everything well, however you may want to check out the hotels actually in Fishermans Wharf as this is a 15/20 minute walk from there, which seems longer by the end of a nightout.

• Stayed June 2006
9 Thank Clive1
crawley, west sussex
Reviewed 4 June 2006

Stayed here for 3 nights from 19th to the 22nd May, and it was a very good hotel to start our holiday. We did think about prebookingLorries shuttl;e bus but I'm glad I ddin't! The airport is huge and we were trying to figure out where to go to pick it up, but there wasn't one available, so we got on another shuttle bus. It cost us $16 per person plus tip on top, but because it's a shuttle expect to stop around the airport until the shuttle is full. Then expect to make multiple stops at other hotels, we were the second to last people to get off. We decided to use a taxi on the return journey! I was speaking to someone who took a taxi instead and they said they were taken around to see the tourist sights without asking! Which meant they had to pay about $56 in the end, so it's up to you what you want to do. So when we needed a ride back to the airport on the Monday, we asked the front desk to book us a taxi, they go with a reputable company that takes straight to the airport, as there are some taxi companies that take you the long way back so that it costs more! So our taxi cost $50 including tip but at least it was direct! Worth the extra 10 bucks instead of the shuttle.

Location was quiet and just a few blocks from Fishermans Wharf, not quite walking distance but you can get the no 47 Bus from across the road and you'll be there within 10 Min.

Hotel room was spacious and clean, view wasn't great but you can pay for a room with a view of the Golden gate but we didn't take up the offer. The front desk staff were very friendly and helped our stay to be enjoyable, helping us with which bus to get for the Wharf and also to get to the Union square area! There was also free Tea and Coffee in the dining room area which was fully appreciated!

Only one thing stopped me putting down execellent and that is the maid. We went out first thing in the morning and didn't return till about 2pm and the room wasn't done. We thought okay, we came back a bit soon so the following day we came back about 4pm and she was just doing it then! My wife asked her how long will she be and the maid was a bit short with her response. We were on the 4th floor so if you happen to be on that floor and the maid hasn't tidied your room, complain to the front desk. We didn't as it was our last full day.

I think the hotel is used alot by French and German tourists, so I guess that's why it was mostly a Continental breakfast, but you can make your own waffles and toast if you want to.

Overall I would stay there again as you get everything you could wish for the money you've paid plus very friendly front desk staff.

As for the city itself, San Francisco is a lovely place. If you want to go to Alcatraz, definitely book it up in advance, there is a standby line, but there's no guarantee you'll get on!

Restaurants and shopping was relatively cheap and of good quality. Every kind of shop you can think of can be found, especially around the main area of Union square.

Any questions then I'll be happy to help. Just drop me an email and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

• Stayed May 2006
8 Thank tcc
Bath
Reviewed 1 June 2006

I stayed in this hotel for a week. It was an absolute bargain. Fantastic location. Just around the corner from lombard street and only a five minute walk if that to fishermans wharf. The rooms were really spacios and clean. You get a free continental breakfast which is superb. The staff in the hotel are really friendly and helpful especially if you want to check out of your room later than is requested. I highly recommend this hotel. Its a great base for exploring san francisco.

• Stayed November 2004
3 Thank Alfy3
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 May 2006

My daughter and I stayed in this hotel in April 2006. As we were travelling alone, safety was very important to us and we found the hotel to be in a very good, central location. The reception staff were very helpful with tourist information and buses etc. We had a double room and unlike most other US hotels we had stayed in, the room only had 1 queen size bed and the room was quite small. It was perfectly adequate though for the short amount of time we actually spent in the room and it was very clean. The free breakfast in the morning is good. The hotel is located about a 10 min walk away from the beginning of Fisherman's Wharf which is a great place to go both during the day time and early evening with street performers and artists. BUT beware of the Bush man!!!! We really enjoyed our stay in San Francisco and would definitely go back there and the hotel.

• Stayed April 2006