“Charming And Centrally-Located”

Cornell Hotel de France
Ranked #29 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I stayed at the Cornell for four nights in August. I found the service to be extremely friendly, and the breakfast was good, too. Much more than expected, actually, as it wasn't just continental. As an example of the great service, I can provide the following: for the first two nights a friend stayed with me whose flight was delayed. We went to the pizza place across the street to order, and was planning to drink one of the bottles of wine we had obtained from a place in Sonoma. When Claude, one of the owners, saw us, he offered us a table in the as-yet-unfinished cafe near reception. While he kindly refused when we offered him a glass, he stayed to chat with us for a bit, and remembered us the following day as well. The hotel also will arrange an airport shuttle for you, if needed.

My room was on the 4th floor, and the window faced a shaft open to the sky, so it was very quiet in the room while still being quite sunny during the day. The room was small, but the bed was very comfortable. If I were to stay there again with a boyfriend I'd probably get a larger room, because it was quite tight with the luggage of two people, even though we didn't have a lot. For the second two nights, when I was there on my own, the room was the perfect size. I'm only marking it down a little bit because the shower was pretty tight, even though I'm a pretty small person, the maids had missed a bit of dusting, and there was no cable TV. Aside from those pretty minor things I was very happy with the hotel.

The hotel itself is near Union Square, and also near Market St. It's also within a longish walk to the Marina. There are many bus lines close by, and of course the Muni Rail and BART on Market St. The California and Powell cable car lines are also nearby. There are also a lot of restaurant and cafe options. I will definitely stay here again the next time I'm in San Francisco and need a hotel room. I wish I could give this hotel a 4.5 star rating.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street, since they are very quiet. If you have two people, you should p...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank UrbanTeacher
There are newer reviews for Cornell Hotel de France

Reviewed 17 September 2012

I stayed here because it was the only hotel I could find that didn't cost over $200/night in the union square area and the only place that had consistenly good reviews on-line. I was very pleasantly suprised at how close this is to union square (literally 2 blocks on the historic Powell street cable car line at bush street). The staff was very friendly and my room was clean and quite. Bed and pillow were a bit hard for my liking so didn't sleep great. decor is a bit dated but that is what gives this place it's charm. If you are accustomed to staying in the big fancy hotels this may not be the place for you. It was a quaint Bed and breakfast style accomidation that in my opinion was a great find for the area and price point. Didn't try breakfast so can't comment on the free breakfast. It is also very easily walkable to the powell St. BART stop (took me ~10 min with luggage) however there is a pretty good hill (as there are everywhere in SF) on the way there. Wireless worked great too. The area is safe and clean and it is easily accessible by public transport so what's not to like! Would defenetly stay here again and wouldn't hessitate to recommend it!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Bo88yG
Reviewed 17 September 2012

At first the neighborhood looks a little rough but that's really not the case. Very close to Union Square and the Chinatown gate. Stay on a top floor and in the back and you will ave a cozy quiet room. We enjoyed our stay that included a nice breakfast. The staff was freindly and helpful...the rooms were a bit small but very clean.

Room Tip: high and rear rooms are quietest
1  Thank Larry L
Reviewed 17 September 2012

The location was great. Short walk to Chinatown and Union Sq. Cable car was on the corner. Room was small but clean. The breakfast was very good. The 2 Asian waitresses were a ray of sunshine in the am. The dining room itself was beautiful and quaint. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place to anyone.

1  Thank sue f
Reviewed 17 September 2012

As we arrived at the hotel we were booked into our cosy room by a lovely gentleman with great humour! The rooms are small but great beds very comfy and value for money! Will be back thanks guys for making our two week stay great!!!! Mark and Simon cheers

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Tigermrk
Reviewed 15 September 2012

My wife and I had a wonderful experience staying at this hotel. The service was excellent. Everyone from the owner/director to all the staff was very professional and pleasant. The room was very nice and extremely clean. I loved the bathtub and bathroom. The bed in our room was very comfortable. The hotel serves a breakfast in the morning as part of the service. The breakfast is very filling for a complimentary meal with orange juice and a full course of eggs or french toast or pancakes depending upon the day.

The hotel has the feeling of the French Countryside. The evening dining in the french restaurant was excellent with violin accompaniment. The menu has a four course meal with a fixed price. The restaurant is very cozy with a french atmosphere.

I loved my stay and would recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: We choose the larger room and it was well worth it.
1  Thank Drew M
Reviewed 14 September 2012 via mobile

We arrived after a dramatic trip from indy- our flight was grounded with a tornado warning... Never made our connection to SFO. When we arrived the next morning we were greated with a warm welcome & no charge for the night we missed! Our stay was fantastic- cosy room was fine, everything we needed I. The best location... Highly recommended!

• Stayed: September 2012