“A Jewel in the City”

Ranked #24 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
EAGLE
“A Jewel in the City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

I am grateful to other Trip Advisor reviewers for showing me the way to the Cornell hotel de France.

The welcome is warm and gracious; the hotel is truly Paris 1935; the room is big enough, clean, nicely appointed, comfortable bed, good quality toiletries, and - although our room faced directly onto Bush St. - quiet, thanks to dual pane windows. And, icing on the cake, a great breakfast served by hard working ladies whose fun characters made it a special occasion ! Lastly, a great location to explore the city (it's literally minutes to Union Square, Nob Hill, the Financial District and Chinatown) and room rates which are, by the standards of this outrageously over-priced town, reasonable.

No, I don't have any connection to the owners of Cornell or a financial interest in the property. I'm just happy to have at last found a pied à terre in the city. We'll be back !

Room Tip: Room 300 at the front in a good size and quiet even though it face onto Bush St.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ANDREW C
Claude L, Owner at Cornell Hotel de France, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear Andrew C,

Sorry we did not answer you sooner for your beautiful review
about our small Cornell Hotel de France. We are so pleased
you found a " pied a terre" in our establishment.
Grand merci et a bientot peut- etre.

Warm regards

Claude Lambert - Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

I only stayed one night in San Francisco, but the Cornell Hotel was wonderful. My single room was cozy, but would have been a comfortable stay for 2 as well. The staff was charming and helpful with sending postcards, calling an airport cab, and storing luggage. Breakfast was delicious. I would definitely stay here again! :) Oh, the location is awesome too! Union Square is just around the corner, but the hotel's street is quiet and no trouble getting a good night's rest.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Claude L, Owner at Cornell Hotel de France, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Dear Christy V,

Thank you for sharing your good comments with the
Trip Avisor travellers. It is a privilege for us and we are
very grateful. It is nice to know that we treat well our
customers. Too bad you could not stay longer...
Next time...may be.

Warm regards

Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

My son and I were doing a Yosemite/SF trip. We dropped off our car and used the City Pass for our time in SF. Parking is super expensive in SF, public transportation is the way to go. This hotel does not show up on your typical travel sites, like Orbitz. The hotel is pretty cool, very unique. It has a French, Joan of Arch theme. Restaurant in the basement is nice, good choice of breakfast and dinners. If you are planning to spend most of your visit in your hotel room, this might not be the best choice of hotels - the rooms are pretty small and only a few have decent views. Our window looked at the wall of the building next to ours, but that was not why we stayed here. The price was pretty good for SF, and we were 2 blocks from the gate of China Town. 1/2 a block from one of the cable car lines - great location. Old school elevator was cool to see. Loved this place.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jason S
Bellevue, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

I've stayed at many different hotels in San Fran. Never have I found one with such a great combination of character, comfort, location and reasonable rates.

Character: felt like I was in a little boutique hotel in Paris -- windows that actually open, real keys, claw tubs, hand-painted motifs on the ceilings and walls, and a cloister-like dining room in the basement

Comfort: great bed, quiet location (for downtown), and delicious morning pancakes, eggs and bacon

Location: Two blocks from Union Square and steps away from the Powell cable car line. An easy walk from the Powell St BART and Muni station.

Rates: unbeatable, especially compared to neighboring hotels. Includes a full breakfast and wireless access.

If you're looking for the typical hotel, go elsewhere. If you want a unique and special experience, the Cornell is the place to stay.

1 Thank Pete I
Dear Pete I,

What a pleasure to read your good comments regarding
our small establishment . Good description of what we offer,
who we are, of our " character". You said it all and we could
use your words to explain to would- be customers what to
expect in our place.

Merci encore... and our best regards.

Lannion, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Nice Hotel, clean facilities, nice breakfast, well located, people at reception is cool and willing to help you. The temperature of room was a little bit high, but openning the window problem was solved!!!. I definitively recommend to stay in this hotel.

1 Thank Fausto G
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

We drove from Los Angeles and arrived there at 10:30 PM on Friday then we got a warm welcome from Jose. It felt like we have come to our families home. He waited an hour for us to arrive. We felt comforted and nurtured during our stay by his welcoming smile. We were real hungry so he told us exactly where to go for great food choices and how to avoid the high expenses of parking in San Francisco.
He let us know that we have a personal key for the front door because it gets locked after 9:30PM. I felt so safe and secure. He was so kind that I felt like I was talking to my older brother when he guided us to our destination the next day. The charm, the many collected pieces that came from France, the art work was unique, authentic and was painted all over the ceiling and walls. I felt I was in France rather than San Francisco. I loved the elevator! it worked perfectly and it felt like it's from old times with a French style decor. The stairways looked like a maze when you looked down from above.
Jose went the extra mile to show us the restaurant since we didn't get to eat there due to our early event in the mornings. To me the restaurant was a breathtaking masterpiece. Jose gave us as much time as needed to take pictures and answered all our questions about all of the art in this restaurant. I would also like to mention his excellent services during our checkout. We lost our parking ticket so he actually walked with my husband to the parking garage to make sure everything was taken care of. At the end he even helped to put our luggage in the car. He was a true gentlemen with a great heart.

We will definitely return to this hotel, especially because of Jose's great service!

Dear BellaEurope3,

So glad you liked our small hotel and appreciated the art
and decorations displayed around. Jose is a devoted
employee who loves to welcome and help the customers.
It is a pleasure to see that you were well served.
We thank you, again,for your wonderful comments

Gratefully,

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I had my doubts about a hotel in such a great location at such a reasonable price, but was very pleasantly surprised. The room was clean, quiet and large enough for my needs as a business traveler. Claw foot tub in the bathroom was cute and turned out to be a good shower too. The bed was comfortable. Wireless was free and fast enough for my needs - though I sat on my bed to work since there was nowhere else to sit. Staff at the front desk were friendly and very helpful with recommending restaurants, planning a bike trip, making arrangements for airport taxi during rush hour, holding my bag all day after I checked out. Location is terrific right next to Union Square and Chinatown and trolley stops right by on Powell. I walked everywhere and felt comfortable doing so (with some caution of course). Free breakfast was pretty good, certainly much more substantial and with more choices than I expected. Only (very minor) complaints are that the hair dryer in the room was terrible and there was no conditioner. Trivial complaints considering the great value. I would absolutely stay there again!

Room Tip: Medium room was a nice size. I saw a small room that looked a bit cramped. My room overlooked an all...