“Fantastic Authentic French Hotel (see below for hints)”

Cornell Hotel de France
Ranked #28 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I had always wanted to try Cornell, was in S.F. from Sac for a 3-day conference and decided to try it on the company dime.

Room Reservation Hints: The biggest advice I received was to book the premier queen room in advance. I was able to do this only two weeks in advance and am glad I did. The upgrade cost from a non-premier room was basically negligible. I can see the point of the reviews here for folks that booked smaller rooms that would have tiny bathrooms, etc. The premier room bathrooms are large enough for 2 people to get ready at the same time and have claw foot tub/showers.

Atmosphere: The atmosphere at this hotel was above what I was expecting. I felt like I was back in France the whole time I was there. The owners were extremely pleasant without being snotty, very accommodating and helped with advice on restaurants and transportation. The whole building is done in beautiful soft colors and art. The elevator is an *old-school* elevator with the sliding iron gate and smell of grease/oil (the good smell). I was so comfortable here, I left my conference two hours early one day for the sole reason to come take a nap here in the atmosphere.

Amenities: There is a snack/break room, an amazing free breakfast in the mornings down in the gorgeous Jeanne D'arc restaurant. I was bummed they were closed/on vacation for dinners. To have this restaurant located in the hotel...wonderful. They have everything you need in the room (coffee, hair dryer, safe, iron/ironing board, hangers, sitting area, dressers).

Room: My room was done in soft blue with impressionist art on the walls. Brand new flat screen cable tv, sitting table/chairs, gorgeous stereotypical bathroom with claw-foot tub/shower. Plenty of quick hot water (this is a major problem for most S.F. hotels). I was located in the front of the building fronting the very busy Bush street and it was extremely quiet. No street traffic or noise even during the middle of the day. Windows open for fresh air as well.

I really can't express what a wonderful and amazing stay I had here. I would definitely want to book the premier queen rooms in order to avoid a tiny bathroom and more space. More window space as well. So centrally located to Union Square, the Moscone center. Four blocks from the trolley end-point (easy to get down the to wharf from here).

Room Tip: *Definitely* pay the small up-charge for a premium queen bed room. I did not see the smaller rooms...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Sacramento_J
Claude L, Owner at Cornell Hotel de France, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear Sacramento_ J,

Thank you, " merci mille fois" for taking the time to comment
on our small establishment. You are a very special person for
posting such a kind, detailed revue about your experience with
us. We are very grateful and hope to have the opportunity to
welcome you again.

Merci encore

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Excellent location at downtown SFO... close to every important shops (from GAP to Saks) and Union Square (just to blocks down). Great service, specially from de ladies at the breakfast room. Very comfortable beds and cozy deco at each room. Breakfast included is perfect... orange juice, coffee, cereal, milk, eggs (poched, scrambled, fried) with bacon, toasts and hash brown potatoes, french toasts or pancakes. WIFI also included at every room. The cable car stop is at the corner of the hotel and it can bring you to fisherman's wharf or Market (here you can take de Street car to Castro, ferry bauiding, civic center, etc... BART station is also at this point). Super value!

2  Thank Carlos O
Claude L, Owner at Cornell Hotel de France, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Monsieur Blanquet,

Thank you for sharing your good impressions of
our Cornell Hotel on Trip Advisor. We should be
pleased to welcome you again.. with a good breakfast
(offered by Restaurant Jeanne d' Arc) to start your
days. Our apologies for not answering sooner.

A nouveau ; merci beaucoup

Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed for three nights and were extremely pleased with the hotel. The location is excellent, very close to Union Square without being on top of it and a half block from the cable car line. Our room was large, quiet and comfortably furnished. Nothing fancy here, just the basics done extremely well. Everything about the hotel is European, including breakfast in the basement restaurant. A parking garage is located conveniently across the street. An amazing value in San Francisco.

1  Thank dijoens
Claude L, Owner at Cornell Hotel de France, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Dear dijoens,

Merci ..for your kind words about our small Cornell Hotel
de France. We know that we cannot compete with bigger
luxurious establishment but we have a different " character"
and.. the satisfaction of our customers is our first concern.

Gratefully..

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I stayed 3 nights at the Cornell Hotel de France based on the recommendations I saw on trip advisor. I wasn't disappointed. The hotel is very nice, in a great location, the staff are friendly and helpful and the room was comfortable and quiet. There's also a lovely restaurant downstairs where you have breakfast. All at a good price. I couldn't have asked for more and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back will be the most quiet as they are away from Bush Street.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Claude L, Owner at Cornell Hotel de France, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Dear Fiona C from London,

Thank you for " highly" recommanding our small hotel.
We are pleased that your stay with us was satisfactory.
Let us apologize for the delay in answering your good
review of our establishment.

Merci...best regards

Reviewed 26 March 2014

My wife & I have stayed here before and we just love this cozy hotel, it is like a little slice of Paris. Wonderful people who are at your beck & call. great decor and very comfortable. Great breakfast in the morning.

Dear foppm,

Thank you for your kind words about our Cornell Hotel
de France. described often as a " vestige of the past" .
Comments like yours are a reward for everybody working
in the establishment.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I am grateful to other Trip Advisor reviewers for showing me the way to the Cornell hotel de France.

The welcome is warm and gracious; the hotel is truly Paris 1935; the room is big enough, clean, nicely appointed, comfortable bed, good quality toiletries, and - although our room faced directly onto Bush St. - quiet, thanks to dual pane windows. And, icing on the cake, a great breakfast served by hard working ladies whose fun characters made it a special occasion ! Lastly, a great location to explore the city (it's literally minutes to Union Square, Nob Hill, the Financial District and Chinatown) and room rates which are, by the standards of this outrageously over-priced town, reasonable.

No, I don't have any connection to the owners of Cornell or a financial interest in the property. I'm just happy to have at last found a pied à terre in the city. We'll be back !

Room Tip: Room 300 at the front in a good size and quiet even though it face onto Bush St.
2  Thank ANDREW C

Dear Andrew C,

Sorry we did not answer you sooner for your beautiful review
about our small Cornell Hotel de France. We are so pleased
you found a " pied a terre" in our establishment.
Grand merci et a bientot peut- etre.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I only stayed one night in San Francisco, but the Cornell Hotel was wonderful. My single room was cozy, but would have been a comfortable stay for 2 as well. The staff was charming and helpful with sending postcards, calling an airport cab, and storing luggage. Breakfast was delicious. I would definitely stay here again! :) Oh, the location is awesome too! Union Square is just around the corner, but the hotel's street is quiet and no trouble getting a good night's rest.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Dear Christy V,

Thank you for sharing your good comments with the
Trip Avisor travellers. It is a privilege for us and we are
very grateful. It is nice to know that we treat well our
customers. Too bad you could not stay longer...
Next time...may be.