“Fantastic”

Cornell Hotel de France
Ranked #26 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I love so many things about this hotel that I'm not quite sure where to begin. Let me start with the magnificent little dining room where the complimentary breakfast is served each morning. Everything about it is exquisite. Our triple room was light airy and quiet. All I could hear was the sounds of the streetcars down below. Quintessential San Francisco. The cafe near the check in desk is amazing and always stocked with complementary coffee and cookies. The service was friendly and the location could not have been better. And did I mention the price was better than most hotels in the area? I spent many frustrating hours searching for an affordable place to stay in SF. Save yourself the time and book this hotel. I'll never stay anywhere else in SF.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank FamilyGalDallas
Claude L, Owner at Cornell Hotel de France, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Dear FamilyGalDallas,

Thank you for sharing your good opinion of our small hotel
with the readers of Trip Advisor. A comment like yours is a
reward for us and we hope to have your visit in the future.

Merci,

Claude Lambert - Owner

Write a ReviewReviews (1,785)

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I've been staying at this hotel several times over the past years. It's centrally located, the staff is very friendly, the rooms are cozy and uniquely decorated. Breakfast is good, the dinners at the restaurant Jeanne d'Arc are fabulous. The parking garage is right across the street, with a modest fee for San Francisco. I think it's a great place and will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: check out their website
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Tina T
Claude L, Owner at Cornell Hotel de France, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Tina T,

Thank you very much for your kind words. It is a reward for
everybody working at our Cornell Hotel de France and we are
happy to know that we shall have the pleasure to welcome
you again.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Have just returned from four days in SF and were happy with our stay here. After doing research on a Trip Advisor we chose this hotel because of its excellent location close to centre of town, a great place and the fact that breakfast was included. The room was big enough for the two of us, the shower was hot and good water pressure and the staff were helpful and polite. Would recommend if you wanted a small homely place to come back to after a long days sight seeing. Thank you

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hamhawks
Claude L, Owner at Cornell Hotel de France, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear hamhawks from New Zealand,

We are glad that you liked your stay with us and we thank you
for your good review. You described very well our unpretentious
but homely small establishment so ideally located in the heart
of our beautifull city.

Best regards

Reviewed 16 August 2014

My daughters and I stayed at the Cornell for 4 nights in early August. I have stayed in our hotels in the Union Square area but chose this hotel on the recommendation of a friend and because the room rate for 3 people was good in comparison to other hotels. I found the hotel charming as others describe, although a little shabby, but it was a problem I believe specific to our room 601 that has resulted in my poor review. The shower is a mere trickle, making it difficult to even get the shampoo out of your hair. I'm not exaggerating! I twice complained to the management about the shower. Initially I was told it was a problem with the shower head and the handyman would come but the next day was told it was a larger problem and not a quick fix. No rooms were available to move us to and I didn't explore the inconvenient option of perhaps showering in another room. Unless I am mistaken I believe the hotel was aware of the problem before I was given this room which is really disappointing. Unfortunately this problem combined with street noise making wearing ear plugs to sleep each night would make me not return to this hotel

3  Thank 23blen

Dear 23bien,
Let us apologize for this " misfortune" with the shower of room 601
for which I am partly responsible. Two months ago I bought a new
shower head to replace the old one and installed it . I noticed
then that the water pressure was reduced because the holes of the
head were very tiny. So I was not surprised when afterwards a few
customers mentionned that the flow of water was slow and it was my
intention to simply, buy another "head". The Office should have had the
imagination to report your predicament to me and the incident would
have been solved the following day. May I blame you a little, you could
have knocked at the door of the " Bureau du Directeur" which is located
accross the main office and besides a prompt repair, you would have
been compensated. You would have left us, then, with a smile and
may be would have come back.

We respect your opinion and accept our punishment , thank you for
keeping your objectivity under the circumstances.

With our apologies and best regards

Claude Lambert - Owner

May we mention thou, that all our rooms facing the street have double
windows, when closed you hardly hear a noise.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

My husband and I loved this hotel. It reminded us of a hotel we stayed in, in Paris. The room was a good size (not large), similar to many European hotel rooms. A basic breakfast (eggs, french toast, cereals, juice, great coffee, tea, etc.) is included in the rate. The restaurant is beautiful. We dined there one evening and truly enjoyed our meal. The location is great! You can walk to Chinatown, the Italian section, and Fisherman's Wharf (a bit far). The hotel has a deal with the parking facility across the street, $26 a day. Although the Cornell is located in downtown SF, it is on a quiet street. We loved old-fashioned elevator, the clawfoot tub, the restaurant,and location. If you are looking for modern luxury, this hotel is not for you.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TeacherMal
Claude L, Owner at Cornell Hotel de France, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2014

Dear TeacherMal,

Your generous praise means a lot to us.
We are happy that you had a nice stay
in our small Cornell Hotel and thank you
very much.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Quirky, characterful, slightly unpredictable, but overall good value for money for a city centre hotel. The rooms were well furnished and quiet, public areas well-furnished. Breakfast was included, well-prepared but basic and there were not enough staff on duty on the mornings we were there. This hotel's big plus point is its reasonable price for such a great location.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back of the hotel for a quiet night's sleep in the heart of the city.
2  Thank TravellingMan1963

DearTravelingMan1963,

We are glad that you appreciated your stay at our small hotel.
Thank you for revealing your positive view of our business on
Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

The family stayed at the Cornell the first weekend in August 2014.
The four of us had two rooms in various parts of the hotel.
The rooms are slightly smaller than the typical chain, but well laid out and both rooms had plenty of storage, nice sized baths with claw-foot tubs and queen sized beds. One room was two twins. The free breakfasts were good, if a limited selection, but the two servers were kind and quick. This in itself saved us $30 a day and about an hour in time. Well worth the effort. The hotel was clean and had easy access to various public transport (Cable Cars, Tram, Bus) as well as parking right across the street and up about 50 yds. Note: When picking up your car just walk up to the attendants. The line is for car renting, not parking and picking up! We had a number of oddities during our stay. Items found and items lost. Comcast issues with the TVs and the like. IF you're going to SF to watch the news or swim in a pool, I'm sure there are better places. IF you're going to SF to see SF, stay at the Cornell.

Room Tip: The cable cars 'ding-a-ling-ling' for quite some time throughout the day. The back of the h...
2  Thank PeterLenagh
Claude L, Owner at Cornell Hotel de France, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2014

Dear Peter.enagh,

We are happy to know that you enjoyed staying at our small
Cornell Hotel de France. Thank you for the nice words posted
on Trip Advisor. We appreciated particularly your compliments
regarding our breakfast. We hope to welcome again...

Best regards