“What a hidden gem!”

Hotel Drisco
Ranked #1 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Stayed at the Hotel Drisco for 5 nights in early September, 2012 and I can't say enough good things about the hotel and its staff. Shared a junior suite with a friend I was traveling it. We had a separate sitting area with a comfortable queen bed that pulled out from the sofa.There were TVs in the large separate bedroom and the sitting area. The hotel also provided nice robes and slippers for both guests. The hotel is small - only about 48 rooms and had a lot of old world details that were retained since its construction in the early 1900's. There is a terrific gourmet continental breakfast that is included in the price of the room. This is served in the dining room and there are also many newspapers available for reading with your breakfast. They also deliver a copy of the San Francisco Chonicle to your room each morning. Another fabulous touch is the wine and cheese gathering in the same dining room from 5-7pm each night. What a nice way to relax before venturing out for dinner. I liked the fact the the hotel was located in the lovely residential and exclusive area of Pacific Heights. We had gorgeous views of downtown San Francisco and the Bay including the Golden Gate Bridge from our room. I really liked being in a place this size and located in a gorgeous residential neighborhood. I almost felt like I was staying at someone's grand house instead of a hotel. After visiting the Fairmont for afternoon tea, it made me really glad that I selected the Drisco as my San Francisco base for this trip. The staff could not be nicer. Bob, the desk manager was super helpful and gave lots of good advice about things to see, where to eat and what buses to take..The hotel also provided complimentary rides into Union Square in the AM by pre-arrangement. They also had a driver to and from the airport for an additional charge which took the hassle of getting to and from the airport. One guest asked me how I found this hotel and was almost annoyed that e were there. He said he has been coming there for 6 years and now has trouble getting a reservation when he wants one as it has been "discovered". If you are looking for a place that's elegant, well managed with excellent amenities and you like the feel of a country house hotel from England, this place is a very close U.S. version. Truly, a real hidden gem!

Room Tip: Get a room facing the front of the building and on the 3rd or 4th floor for the best views of the Go...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Drisco

Reviewed 19 September 2012

Looking for a clean comfortable stay with an old vintage elegance and superb customer service, then please book with Hotel Drisco. A beautiful charming hotel located in the Pacific Heights.

Service was wonderful! All staff consistently went above and beyond... 5+++ stars!!! Thank you Marti for all your suggestions and booking our dinner reservations, Bob for our initial welcome and tremendous help with the city guide, Mr. Thanh for always so responsive and handling our luggage and everything we've requested for including your careful packaging of all the wines we brought back from Sonoma. A truly geniune experience!

Complimentary coffee, various tea selections, and water served all day in the lobby. Breakfast was excellent AND complementary! Of course don't expect your everyday scrambled eggs and sausages. Hotel Drisco serves only the finest in European selections. Parking can be a slight challenge, but attendant will park and move your vehicle for you. Seems to me something more along the lines of a complementary valet service. Hotel Drisco upgraded us to a city view suite. Our room and view was amazing! Hotel is only a short distance to Golden gate bridge. Easy access to shopping and dining. Only a short walking distance and a block further, you'll experience nothing but breathtaking views going down the hills from the top.

In short, an absolutely beautiful charming vintage hotel with superb genuine service!

Thank You Hotel Drisco for such a wonderful experience!

Reviewed 19 September 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed our two night stay here as part of our honeymoon. The hotel is peaceful and the staff incredibly helpful. The neighbourhood is stunning and close enough to walk to the city. The breakfast selection was also great.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Incredible service, wonderful staff and the comforts of home with the luxuries of a holiday. This boutique hotel is now on our "favorite places in the world" list and we will definitely be returning with our kids and extended family in years to come. We spent 5 nights in a well appointed Deluxe King room, immaculately kept during our stay. The breakfast was superb with a great selection everyday. It was the staff of the Drisco however, that made our holiday and stay in San Francisco such an incredible experience. Thanks to all of you! Your service levels, care and abundance of information for holiday makers sets you apart from other Hotels. Excellent!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2012

Dear Guest,

My staff and I are so honored that you now consider us one of your favorite places in the world -- such high praise! As I often say, I am so thankful to have such a wonderful and caring staff that treat all of our guests like family.

We'll all look forward to seeing you again soon, with additional family members in tow!

Reviewed 18 September 2012

We chose to stay here based on the location, photos and reviews from Trip Advisor, and we weren't disappointed. Deserves to be counted as one of San Francisco's top two hotels. The charm, atmosphere, rooms, beds, location, views, I could go on and on, but really you should stay there yourself to appreciate the Hotel. The breakfast every morning is fantastic and a good start to the day. And a couple of days we were back in time to enjoy the evening wine and "nibbles". We stayed here six days and our room on the third floor (307) was everything I had asked for. Loved the residential area, and not too taxing walks to Alta Park, Filmore St, Presidio Park and handy to the Muni transport. Honestly was reluctant to leave, and I would highly recommend this hotel as a lovely alternative to impersonal "big hotels".

Room Tip: I think probably the 3rd or 4th floors would be best, only because it may be quieter. Our room 307 w...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I promise that if you come back to visit us again, you'll never have to leave!

Thanks for such a great review.

Reviewed 15 September 2012

The lovely Drisco is in the best location...high on the hill at pacific heights. Around the corner from Presidio Park...Lyon st ...beautiful suburb....fantastic views....lovely hotel. Excellent check-in and help for first timers to San Fran. Hotel car to drop you where you wish around town...lovely continental breakfast with tasty selection in quaint dining room full of antiques as is the whole hotel. Afternoon tea...24 hr tea/ coffee available to have in drawing room or take to room. Cocktail hour with wines, cheeses and hors d'oeuvres. The whole hotel experience was beautiful. Our queen bed - room was small...but nicely appointed...with good size bathroom. The hotel is with open windows in rooms and is in beautiful area which makes it a very pleasant experience....far nicer than the big hotels. Highly recommend....with cafes and shops walking distance...town short drive.

1  Thank JJW858
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2012

Dear Guest,

I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you for your wonderful review.

Reviewed 15 September 2012

A little gem of a hotel. Beautiful boutique hotel on Pacific Heights. No 2 on Trip Adviser and I'm only surprised it's not No 1 (but I haven't actually stayed at the Fairmont so perhaps I'm biased).
Our room (suite) was fabulous with every little comfort and the king bed was so comfortable it was difficult to get up in the morning. Breakfast was superb, even with little jars of English clotted cream to put on your scones! Every evening they host a complimentary cheese and wine session lasting 1.5 hours.
It is a liitle way from the downtown or Fisherman's Wharf action but they do provide a complimentary chauffeured car to Union Square in the mornings and you can use a cheap 1/3/5 day bus/cable car pass to get around after that.
Car parking is on street and handled by the hotel staff who move the cars around as needed. The reception/concierge staff are so polite and helpful and make you feel really important.All the remaining staff are also friendly and helpful. In my opinion it is very good value for money and you will leave feeling really good and wanting to return.
One tip to end with...do try to see Beach Blanket Babylon at Club Fugazi while in town.

1  Thank Maz1944

Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying with us instead of the Fairmont Ghirardelli Place! Actually to be fair to my friends at the Fairmont, they have a lovely property. I've stayed there myself -- the rooms are great and the service is excellent. You don't get to the #1 spot on Trip Advisor by running a second rate hotel! Having said that, I just absolutely love the character, the experience and the fantastic service we provide here at the Drisco (usually at half the price of the Fairmont, I might add!).

Rest assured that our little jars of imported English clotted cream will be waiting for you on your next visit with us.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post a review.

John Spear

P.S. I concur -- do not miss Beach Blanket Babylon at Club Fugazi!