“One of the Best Hotels I have ever stayed at~”
Review of Hotel Drisco

Hotel Drisco
Ranked #1 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Before I wrote my review, I read some of the few "terrible" rated reviews from other guests. TripAdvisor guidelines prevent me from commenting directly on their complaints, so I will just say that it's clear that you can never please everyone.

Rather I will focus on my stay. I had an appointment nearby and decided to spend the night rather than fight the commute home at 5 PM. What a great decision that was!! Parking is tight despite claims of ample street parking. However, I simply left my keys with the staff and they handled the parking situation.

The room was very nicely appointed, with so many little extras that I cannot list them all. VERY comfortable king bed, high end beddings, pillows and linens. Two flatscreen TVs, a refrigerator with 6 complimentary bottles of spring water, high end toiletries, even some Lysol Air Freshener.

They have a happy-hour between 5-6:30 PM where they serve a variety of select wines, beer, fruit juice, cheese, nuts, cold cut salami, bread, brie, and dates. Also sported some hot mini meatballs. The wines I tried were very good.

Everything about the hotel exceeded expectations. I did not take advantage of the continental breakfast, but my wife enjoyed the coffee and pastries.

To the extent that you can, trust me when I say that this hotel thinks of everything!! Read the negative reviews; if for no other reason than to be amused after you contrast them with your own experience. I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank robert p
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review! I am delighted to learn that we are one of the best hotels you have ever experienced. And despite the futility of the effort to please absolutely everyone, we never stop trying!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Drisco

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Fantastic hotel, great amenities and a wonderful view. We stayed here for our honeymoon and had a fantastic room overlooking the entire city away from the water up to the mountains. Absolutely stunning area with some great short walks (all uphill it seems) with fantastic mansions and parks very close by. Not close to Union or the Wharf however free limo to the area in the morning can be arranged. The wine reception should not be missed, had great food and a great tasting of wines with a very helpful sommelier who knew her stuff. The staff from check in to check out was great with our bags/reservations/recommendations of spots to see and overall great hospitality. Highly recommend for those who want to unwind after seeing the busy side of the city.

Room Tip: City view is fantastic from upper floors as it is on top of the hill.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nathan W

Dear Guest,

To paraphrase the old joke, everything around the Drisco is an uphill walk. Both ways. :-)

Actually, as we are perched at the very top of the highest hill in Pacific Heights, everything is a downhill walk from the Drisco. It's getting back up later that will test your mettle. In fact many of our guests take a lovely downhill stroll to their restaurant of choice in the evening and either burn off their dessert walking back or hop in a taxi for the quick ride back up the hill.

Thank you for your review!

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Great Location
Great Rooms
Great Amenities
best of all
Great Staff!
Views to the Bay from several rooms. Fantastic breakfast in the morning...best latte in SF!!!
Complimentary wine and cheese in the afternoon gives the guests a chance to meet and mingle.
Staff is friendly and gracious. They make you feel like your staying in a home.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

Great.
Thanks.
:-)

Reviewed 4 December 2013

I stay here and recommend this hotel to anyone going to San Francisco. The quiet neighborhood, the setting, the service, the cleanliness all add up to an excellent stay. I have been to more luxurious hotels but never to one with more pleasant service. We literally needed help with our TV and heating system and they came to our room with a smile over and over and over. I asked for a glass of wine and it was in my room before I was. Hard to understand how they can be so efficient. The breakfasts are excellent. I never made it to the wine receptions in the afternoon but understand they're great too.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 33map

Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for recommending us! I am so pleased that you are sharing your great Drisco experience with others.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

This is my first travel review- in fact, I just signed up for tripadvisor just so I could write a glowing review of this place. I just stayed at the Drisco with my family for 4 nights over Thanksgiving, and it was wonderful. It felt like being at home- the staff is so nice and accommodating, especially Sarah at the front desk- she is the best!
The breakfast and wine/cheese happy hour were amazing. The front desk helped us arrange cars, taxis, and dinner reservations, and generally made our trip very easy. The sitting room was a great place to meet up or read the paper, and the surrounding neighborhood is the most beautiful part of Pacific Heights- great for early morning walks.
If I could, I would only ever stay at the Drisco every single time. Perfect hotel experience.

Room Tip: We stayed on the "basement level" and even that was great. I doubt there is a bad room in...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lauren W

Dear Guest,

How kind of you to sign up for Trip Advisor just to write a review of the Drisco -- thank you! I will be sure Sara sees your great comments. So glad you enjoyed the experience.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

I have never been so excited to submit a review! Hotel Drisco thoroughly deserve their number 1 rating on Trip Advisor for all hotels in San Francisco. From the moment we arrived the staff made us feel welcome and were so willing to assist us with anything we may need during our stay. My husband and I stayed at Hotel Drisco for 2 nights earlier this week. The only thing I regret about our visit is that we didn't stay longer!

Hotel Drisco is a beautiful, clean and charming boutique hotel full of character. There are so many things included in the price of your stay, which is what makes them stand out from other hotels. The breakfast spread was to die for, the biscuits left in our room when the pillows were turned in the afternoon, along with a summary of the weather forecast for the next day was a lovely touch and something I've never experienced elsewhere! Then there is the nightly wine tastings with cheese. That was so special, and again, not something I have experienced elsewhere.

The map that you are provided with has recommendations for local restaurants (including cuisine type), as well as local attractions. We looked at a few other tourist maps but the Hotel Drisco map was so much easier to read than every other one combined.

My husband and I didnt want to be located in a touristy area, therefore Hotel Drisco was perfect for us. It was never more than a 10 minute wait for a taxi, or alternatively, they offer early morning weekday shuttles to a few points in the city.

We are grateful for and appreciate the friendliness of staff, breakfast being included, and the nightly wine tastings was a lovely, welcoming touch. See you again next time we visit San Francisco!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mashie_v

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderfully comprehensive review. I think I was as excited to read your review as you were to write it! I hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

We only had one night here this trip but will stay at this property again. Their most important asset is their staff -- to a person they were all friendly, helpful, and knowledgable about the area and the city itself. From the time we checked in they were eager to welcome us as if it were their home. As an example, we had asked to view the movie "Lincoln" but it was out with a guest. We chose to relax with "The Artist." By the time we had walked back upstairs to our room, the front desk had called to say that "Lincoln" had been returned and they would bring it up if we desired. Can't imagine that happening in even the best of the "chain" properties. During the wine tasting the hostess knew the wines and was most gracious in discussing them. Breakfast service was most accommodating and the food abundant.

Tucked into a lovely residential neighborhood, Hotel Drisco would be ideal for a relaxing stay away from the crowds. The neighborhood is perfect for ambling and enjoying the views. Small on-property exercise facility with passes to a local sports club. Coffee and tea in the morning room off the lobby were welcome. The morning breakfast is European continental. The evening wine reception is a pleasant way to relax and to meet other guests. Room service has an interesting twist -- even though limited in scope it is adequate. The prices on the menu are the prices one pays -- no delivery charge, no service up charge. Most unusual

Do be aware that the hotel has no air-conditioning. Most of the year in San Francisco that is no problem but at least be aware. There is typically an oscillating fan in each closet which helps. Each room seems to have a DVD player for the movie library at the front desk.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for mentioning so many of the amenities that make the Drisco special, but you are quite correct, I think, to say that the staff here is our most extraordinary asset. I am so proud of our team! We do try to make sure every guest feels as if they are at home here at the Drisco.

John Spear

P.S. Thank you for mentioning the unique aspect of our Room Service menu!