“In one word: Fantastic”

Hotel Drisco
Ranked #1 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I can not say enough great things about this hotel! We stayed at the Drisco for 3 nights from dec,9. We booked a king room and arrived very early, so we did not expect to be able to check in, but the receptionist checked if any rooms were available and gave us a room on the ground floor (think it was No. 190 or 192). It was not only a king room, but a suite with a bedroom and a livingroom; The room did not have much of a view, but I would stay in that room again anytime, it was simply wonderful!
All the staff were so friendly and they recommended a good place for breakfast that first morning called Sweet Maple; go if you can, but do not miss the hotel breakfast: there is plenty to choose from and it is all good!
The wine reception was fabulous, really good wines and knowledgeful staff, who could tell you about the wine.
The area is nice and quiet, lots of nice neighboorhoods around and good places to eat; whereever you go though, you have to walk UPHILL on the way back....good excercise!

This is one of the best and most personal hotels I have ever stayed at, I can only recommend it. We will be back!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,529)

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We loved our 4 night stay at Hotel Drisco.
It is located on a fairly quiet residential street in the Pacific Heights neighborhood. We were able to walk a few blocks (hilly blocks) to nearby restaurants and shops, but needed to take cabs to get to most other places (wharf, Mission District, Fog City....).
The hotel is in a renovated boarding house, and has all the modern conveniences I like. The bed was so comfortable, I slept 8 hours every night. There were a nice array of toiletries available and we were given yummy cookies every night with turn down service.
The staff is amazing. They are friendly, welcoming, super-helpful and knowledgeable. Need directions, restaurant recs, shopping advice? No problem.
The continental breakfast was way beyond expectation. Everything you could expect and more. Cereals, fresh fruit, dried fruit, granola, yogurt, toast, bagels, jellies, butter, cream cheese, Nutella, pastries, cold cuts, baguettes, cheese, lattes, tea, fresh squeezed juices..... It was very fresh and delicious.
I like that I was able to open the windows in the room. I like my room cool at night, and there is no air conditioning in the building. The cool nighttime air put me right to sleep.
I can only highly recommend Hotel Drisco if you are visiting San Fransisco.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Gwenn W
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your four nights with us. I love fresh air at night as well and there's no air fresher than the cool breezes coming off the Pacific!

Reviewed 30 December 2013

…you will definitely change your mind!!! You may think you'll be too far away from everything or that it will be difficult to get out and about, but never fear….this place is the best!

Stayed here four lovely nights with my BFF during a visit to see some specialists at UCSF. I liked the idea of being in such a posh, quiet location. No need for hustle and bustle. We had a one-bedroom suite, which was fabulous. Plenty of space, well laid out, and probably had the best sleep since I can remember (well, probably also because my husband and twin boys weren't there haha). The bed was so comfy! Loved the breakfast and wine and cheese reception. Lots of choices and something to please everyone. Also loved that the hosts would make cappuccinos and lattes for us. The hotel has an old-school feel, even with real keys! Remember those?

We were there during the ridiculous cold front in early December. It was freezing. There were heaters in the room, so we were okay (I'm from Hawaii -- no tolerance for cold!) Going out was a breeze using Uber. Never waited more than three minutes. We even braved the mid-40's temps and went to the Lyon Street steps. Gorgeous view. On our walk back, we saw some major construction…they had blocked off several streets to create a ginormous stage extension from the home of Gordon Getty for his 80th birthday. The contractor told us all the lavish details of the construction. What a way to throw a party! This area is certainly the creme de la creme. Across the street from our room, I could see the (obviously private) refuse/recycling trucks literally punching in codes to people's garages/gates to collect the bins inside, dump them into the truck, then put them back and close the door before moving to the next house.

The staff was very friendly, even when we stumbled in at 4am after clubbing. One time the elevator broke, but hey, it was built in the early 1900's, so I didn't mind walking up to the 4th floor. They fixed it by the next time we used it. Also, there was some sort of loud clicking/ticking type noise in the pipes that woke me up multiple times at night, but whatevs, I didn't even care because this place was so great!

Have to go back in six months, so will definitely return!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for your comprehensive review!

We have a lovely old steam radiator heating system in the hotel, and we are actually making some changes at the moment to reduce the occasional noise the pipes make. I look forward to welcoming you back so we can keep you as warm and toasty as you are accustomed to in Hawaii!

Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

Where to start. We are seasoned travelers learning to do so with a baby. If you are looking for a classy, comfortable attentive hotel which literally checks every box one could think of in the "need", "must have" and "nice to have" category, the Drisco is IT.

Notable: the wonderful breakfast (included), ease of parking (free ad available in PAC Heights), awesome wine and cheese tasting in the evening (complimentary), great room service menu (very reasonable), beds (excellent) and the service in general!

Also, thank you for that awesome mulled wine in the lobby, we loved it and want the recipe!

This is not a cheap hotel, it is an upscale establishment. That said, when comparing the fully loaded cost of a good hotel anywhere else in the city, the Drisco comes out looking reasonable compared to the pricing of other options. And those places simply are NOT the Drisco.

Even with a huge cache of Marriott and Starwood points to use, we don't know if we can stay anywhere else from now on when visiting SFO.

We could go on and maybe will after or next stay. Suffice to say, this is a winner.

Well done Drisco. Congratulations, you earned this ranking.

Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank CBerry80

Dear Guest,

I very much enjoyed reading your review, and my staff and I are humbled by your high praise! We work very hard every day to make sure our guests have everything they need and want, and as often as possible we try to provide a few things they never knew they needed or wanted!

You are correct that the Drisco is not an inexpensive hotel, but I do appreciate your mentioning the great value we provide with all of the complimentary extras on offer -- breakfast, parking, the wine reception, WiFi, etc.

As a frequent traveler and collector of frequent flyer miles and stay points myself, I know first hand the allure of big chains and their programs, so I am that much more gratified that you chose the Drisco and will choose us again for your next stay in San Francisco!

Reviewed 19 December 2013

This hotel, attentive staff and exemplary service provided all we needed for a ladies' pre Christmas getaway to San Francisco. From Julio, our airport driver, to the front desk professionals, and the food team- it was our first visit, but we will return! The guest rooms are well provisioned and impeccable, and then there is the neighborhood......Pacific heights provides a scenic vista at every turn and is far away from the tourist throngs. The Drisco well deserves this highest of ratings.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank mcan13

Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to hear that we were able to provide a great venue for your Girls excursion to the City. Until next time!

Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Amazing... Very great! My only disappointment was we only had time to stay one night. Service is personal and welcoming. They gave my son a teddy bear when the brought the crib. The room service was delicious and affordable! I could say a million great things about this place but you'll just have to find out for yourself.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Blue10367790

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. Next time I look forward to welcoming you back for more than one night!

Reviewed 12 December 2013

We stayed two very pleasant nights at the Hotel Drisco this spring and it did not disappoint. Its location in the historic, upscale residential area of Pacific Heights is unique and special, away from the hub-bub, which is not to everyone's taste. Indeed, a car is a necessity to fully explore what the city has to offer. A five minute walk in a flat topography is at least triple that in hilly S.F. But for a quiet, relaxing environment in a very well run hotel, this place is hard to beat. Among the highlights; the evening wine tastings, the morning breakfast, helpful staff and the charm of an old hotel that has remained independent from a large chain.

We were in a smaller room that apparently accounts for the fact there was only one chair and limited space. Larger accommodations in the hotel would have been better for us. Maybe next time. I felt the accommodations, while clean, were a little dated, particularly the bathroom.
The view from our room was only so-so.

All in all, it was a very nice stay and quite enjoyable.

Room Tip: Most expensive rooms should be booked for the best views and space.