“All been said before but worth mentioning again ”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Drisco

Hotel Drisco
Ranked #1 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
UK
“All been said before but worth mentioning again ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

This is a small traditional European style luxury hotel set in an exclusive quiet part of San Francisco
We really enjoyed our stay, however if you are a light sleeper request the top floor or bring earplugs as noise from people upstairs walking around and toilet flushing /shower noise is normal because of the age of the property. Each night when we were disturbed it was really annoying but in the morning it was forgotten because of the wonderful breakfast and pleasant, helpful and efficient staff who preformed their duties in an exemplary manner. because of this we would definitely stay again in this lovely hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank BrendaEngland
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I would also like to both apologize for the noise disturbances you experienced and thank you for mentioning the issue here in your review. The Hotel Drisco is indeed an older property, built in 1903, and the soundproofing standards at the time were not what we find in modern buildings today. I do feel it is important for all of our potential future guests to understand that so that they can make an informed choice of accommodations in San Francisco.

I make it a point to stay overnight in my own hotel in different rooms on a regular basis, as no matter how carefully one inspects and maintains guestrooms there is simply no substitute for experiencing exactly the environment that one's guests are experiencing. And I can tell you first hand that any noise disturbances I have experienced have not detracted from my enjoyment of my stays. That said, if you are an extremely light sleeper, if you normally require absolute silence for a restful night's sleep or if you are unaccustomed to "city" living, please do take this into consideration. I would be very disappointed if you chose to stay at the Drisco and any noise disturbances prevented you from having a truly outstanding experience.

If you are considering a stay at the Drisco and this potential issue concerns you, I would direct you to our long history of outstanding reviews here on Trip Advisor going back many years. You will find a fair few that discuss the noise issue, and by and large I would like to thank our many guests who have taken the time to post incredibly thoughtful and balanced reviews.

Lastly, please do feel free to pick up the phone and give me a call if you have any questions at all. I can be reached at 1-415-346-2880.

Many thanks again for your review!

John Spear

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Just a really wonderful spot for a family get together. Great location, wonderful staff and overall, just a perfect spot to explore the city. Suite 404 is terrific for a family. Only suggestion is to ensure you have the Uber application which makes getting around much easier.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank James M
Dear Guest,

So glad you had a great stay with your family! And thanks for mentioning Uber.

At the Drisco we do offer complimentary weekday morning chauffeur service to several popular locations, our many forms of public transportation could be good options depending on your destination, and of course our Concierge desk can call taxis at any time of day or night. However, one of the important things to understand about getting around in San Francisco is that taxis can be difficult to come by at times, especially during large city-wide events and in inclement weather. That's where Uber comes in. I'm not usually an advocate of other products and services here in my Trip Advisor replies, but in this case I've made an exception. Uber can be more expensive than taxis (especially at peak times), but it can be another arrow in your transportation quiver, and in San Francisco that's always a plus!

Thanks for your review!

John Spear

P.S. The Hotel Drisco has no legal, financial or marketing relationship with Uber at all. I just felt it would be useful to follow up on your great comment!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

We have booked the Drisco hotel because of gret comments on the TripAdvisor and we have to confirm that it worth it.
The hotel is located in charmy residential area, the staff is nice and helpfull.
We enjoyed the wine tasting hour in the afternoon with selection of red a white californian wines & cheese buffet.

We missed here only scrumbled eggs for breakfast and selection of drinks in the minibar. There is just water.
On the other hand the hotel provides complimentary 2 bottles of water every day.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank alexandra k
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your review -- you highlight some excellent points!

-- We offer an absolutely lovely (and extensive) continental breakfast that our guests really enjoy. But alas, as you mention we do not offer scrambled eggs or other "full" breakfast dishes. So sorry you missed them!

-- We made the decision last year to remove the food and beverages for our in-room honor bars due to the dreadful waste we were experiencing -- very few guests ever availed themselves of the items (despite uncommonly reasonable prices!) and as such, we were donating, composting or recycling over 90 percent of the contents on a regular basis. The good news here for honor bar fans is that we still have all of the items available in our pantry, available for delivery to guestrooms at any time of day or night, for the same low prices, with tax included, and with no delivery fee!

-- In fact we provide SIX complimentary bottles of water in your guestroom, replenished daily if needed: Two by your bedside, two in your honor bar fridge and two by your Nespresso coffee machine. There's never any charge for our Drisco spring water. (If you would like to be especially kind to the environment we are also happy to provide you with excellent filtered water from our kitchen in re-usable pitchers).

Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I was looking for a place that would be different and special for my husband's 60th birthday, and Hotel Drisco delivered. The only downside is that the hotel is not air-conditioned, which shouldn't matter, but it was 90+ degrees during our stay in SF. You just need to know that when you book. They upgraded us from a room to a suite, the neighborhood is gorgeous, with large townhouses and mansions on every corner with views of the water. The breakfast, which is included, couldn't be better, and the wine and cheese is in the late afternoon/evening is delightful. It has a very European feel. The staff were incredibly helpful and went out of their way to make our stay very enjoyable. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room had a view of downtown. I'm sure there are rooms with views of the water as well. Jus...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TravellerVA2010
Dear Guest,

I'm so pleased that we were able to provide you with a special venue for your husband's 60th birthday!

As you might be aware, temperatures in excess of 90 degrees are extremely uncommon in San Francisco, but I do recall very well the mini-heat wave you refer to! And I am so sorry if things got a bit uncomfortably warm for you.

It might surprise you to learn that the warmest month in San Francisco is September, with an average high temperature of only 71 degrees (22 degrees Celsius). And even when it gets considerably warmer than that, the Drisco's location high atop a hill means that we are treated to wonderfully cool breezes coming off the Pacific Ocean, especially in the afternoons. The fans in the rooms and the windows that open wide will help you to take advantage of that excellent cooling effect.

Thanks you for your excellent review!

Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

It's so posh! All the furniture and trimmings of an old house. Everything is classic but very well maintained.
Breakfast was good. Pastry was really good.
The room was, well, flawless. Very clean & spacious.
We were so high in Pacific Heights. We could hear the fog horns from the bridge at night. The neighborhood made us feel right at home. And it was such a treat to drive up to and from the city every day. The 45 degrees streets here really makes me feel like I'm in SF!

Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Mumzelda
Dear Guest,

I love it when our guests consider the Drisco their "home away from home." It is such a common refrain that it has become one of our guiding principles. Every member of my staff takes great pleasure in making our guests feel truly at home.

Thank you for your review!

John Spear

P.S. I've lived in San Francisco for over 20 years and I never tire of hearing that fog horn in the distance. It's yet another small element that lends a magical air to the San Francisco experience.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

My husband and I spent two relaxing nights at this lovely Pacific Heights hotel. The staff was friendly and accommodating, making sure that we thoroughly enjoyed our anniversary stay. The breakfast and the evening wine & hors d'oeuvres was gratis and satisfying, with pleasant hosts overseeing it all. We will definitely stay here again, as the neighborhood is gorgeous and NOTin the noisy city center. If this scenario appeals to you, welcome to the Hotel Drisco!

Room Tip: We particularly enjoyed the sunny view room that we had on the third floor...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Real8or
Dear Guest,

Thank you for being such a wonderful advocate for the Drisco experience! I couldn't have said it better myself. Happy Anniversary!

Blonay, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Very warm welcome with gorgeous wine testing. Room is nicely decorated and well equipped with a splendid view on San Francisco. Breakfast is generous and very tasteful. Employees are extremely helpful. Parking is really easy around the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Raouliraoulo
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased you enjoyed your experience, and thank so much for your kind words about the staff! I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.