“Service, what service!”

Hotel Drisco
Ranked #1 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We reserved a 2 bedroom suite expecting to have 4 people for a family event. We had an unexpected surprise and found out one of our daughters and her partner could now join us as well for this momentous occasion (Masters graduation ceremony). I requested to have the two people included in our reservation in a suite that has two bedrooms and a queen sized sofa bed. I was told unequivocally and in no uncertain terms that the room could only accommodate 5 adults. I wasn't told why, just that 5 was the limit. We've now had to adjust our plans and move to another location (Courtyard by MARRIOTT) which will make logistics more challenging. True customer service is finding a way, especially when a special occasion is involved. I was appalled at the way the hotel staff handled this situation. I understand rules, but sometimes they can be bent. This #1 rated hotel has now lost a potential future guest that has two families living in the local area. I guess that's not a problem for them though, they are #1 (and done!).

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank JoeandCherylB
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Guest,

I regret that we are unable to accommodate six adults in our Two Bedroom Two Bathroom suite, but the maximum occupancy for that room is five adults. There are limits to occupancy in each of our different room types in order to maintain the safety, security and comfort of all of our guests.

I am very sorry you were disappointed and I hope you found agreeable accommodations elsewhere.

Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I are staying here for our anniversary weekend. Our room was upgraded to a suite and the room, city view and amenities are amazing! Great complimentary breakfast and wine hour, beautiful neighborhood and perfect location to access Union Square, Golden Gate bridge, Fisherman's wharf etc..we would happily stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Santos34
Reviewed 31 May 2014

As part of my 50th birthday treat we booked Hotel Drisco for 3 nights and from the date of booking until the time we were dropped off at the airport, the service was exceptional.
For small cost we were picked up and dropped off at the airport in a Lincoln Car and Julio the driver was amazing and so helpful and gave us lots of suggestions for things to do in SF. Also unlimited team & coffee in the lounge was a lovely touch as too was the cheese and wine in the evening. I could write forever, but readers would give up reading. This hotel oozes quality

Room Tip: Facing the city
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GoonerPaul1964
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Hotel Drisco is an excellent hotel in an interesting location a bit away from the center of the city. It’s rather expensive, but it’s worth it. The service is perfect, the rooms (we had a suite) are spacious and nicely decorated with all possible enmities. The breakfast is superb with fresh fruits a variety of cereals, croissants and pastries. The wine hr in the afternoon is also very pleasant. My only concern with this hotel is the price, but apart from that it is one of the better hotels (not part of a large chain of hotels) that I have come across in the US.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank GothenburgProfessor
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

This is a small traditional European style luxury hotel set in an exclusive quiet part of San Francisco
We really enjoyed our stay, however if you are a light sleeper request the top floor or bring earplugs as noise from people upstairs walking around and toilet flushing /shower noise is normal because of the age of the property. Each night when we were disturbed it was really annoying but in the morning it was forgotten because of the wonderful breakfast and pleasant, helpful and efficient staff who preformed their duties in an exemplary manner. because of this we would definitely stay again in this lovely hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank BrendaEngland
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear Guest,

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I would also like to both apologize for the noise disturbances you experienced and thank you for mentioning the issue here in your review. The Hotel Drisco is indeed an older property, built in 1903, and the soundproofing standards at the time were not what we find in modern buildings today. I do feel it is important for all of our potential future guests to understand that so that they can make an informed choice of accommodations in San Francisco.

I make it a point to stay overnight in my own hotel in different rooms on a regular basis, as no matter how carefully one inspects and maintains guestrooms there is simply no substitute for experiencing exactly the environment that one's guests are experiencing. And I can tell you first hand that any noise disturbances I have experienced have not detracted from my enjoyment of my stays. That said, if you are an extremely light sleeper, if you normally require absolute silence for a restful night's sleep or if you are unaccustomed to "city" living, please do take this into consideration. I would be very disappointed if you chose to stay at the Drisco and any noise disturbances prevented you from having a truly outstanding experience.

If you are considering a stay at the Drisco and this potential issue concerns you, I would direct you to our long history of outstanding reviews here on Trip Advisor going back many years. You will find a fair few that discuss the noise issue, and by and large I would like to thank our many guests who have taken the time to post incredibly thoughtful and balanced reviews.

Lastly, please do feel free to pick up the phone and give me a call if you have any questions at all. I can be reached at 1-415-346-2880.

Many thanks again for your review!

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Just a really wonderful spot for a family get together. Great location, wonderful staff and overall, just a perfect spot to explore the city. Suite 404 is terrific for a family. Only suggestion is to ensure you have the Uber application which makes getting around much easier.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank James M

Dear Guest,

So glad you had a great stay with your family! And thanks for mentioning Uber.

At the Drisco we do offer complimentary weekday morning chauffeur service to several popular locations, our many forms of public transportation could be good options depending on your destination, and of course our Concierge desk can call taxis at any time of day or night. However, one of the important things to understand about getting around in San Francisco is that taxis can be difficult to come by at times, especially during large city-wide events and in inclement weather. That's where Uber comes in. I'm not usually an advocate of other products and services here in my Trip Advisor replies, but in this case I've made an exception. Uber can be more expensive than taxis (especially at peak times), but it can be another arrow in your transportation quiver, and in San Francisco that's always a plus!

Thanks for your review!

John Spear

P.S. The Hotel Drisco has no legal, financial or marketing relationship with Uber at all. I just felt it would be useful to follow up on your great comment!

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We have booked the Drisco hotel because of gret comments on the TripAdvisor and we have to confirm that it worth it.
The hotel is located in charmy residential area, the staff is nice and helpfull.
We enjoyed the wine tasting hour in the afternoon with selection of red a white californian wines & cheese buffet.

We missed here only scrumbled eggs for breakfast and selection of drinks in the minibar. There is just water.
On the other hand the hotel provides complimentary 2 bottles of water every day.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank alexandra k

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your review -- you highlight some excellent points!

-- We offer an absolutely lovely (and extensive) continental breakfast that our guests really enjoy. But alas, as you mention we do not offer scrambled eggs or other "full" breakfast dishes. So sorry you missed them!

-- We made the decision last year to remove the food and beverages for our in-room honor bars due to the dreadful waste we were experiencing -- very few guests ever availed themselves of the items (despite uncommonly reasonable prices!) and as such, we were donating, composting or recycling over 90 percent of the contents on a regular basis. The good news here for honor bar fans is that we still have all of the items available in our pantry, available for delivery to guestrooms at any time of day or night, for the same low prices, with tax included, and with no delivery fee!

-- In fact we provide SIX complimentary bottles of water in your guestroom, replenished daily if needed: Two by your bedside, two in your honor bar fridge and two by your Nespresso coffee machine. There's never any charge for our Drisco spring water. (If you would like to be especially kind to the environment we are also happy to provide you with excellent filtered water from our kitchen in re-usable pitchers).