“One of my favorite hotel experiences of all time.”
Review of Hotel Drisco

Hotel Drisco
Ranked #1 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I love the Hotel Drisco. The staff was very friendly and I was upgraded to a room with a beautiful city view. The room itself was spacious enough and beautifully furnished with classic looking furniture. The bathroom was nice and I really enjoyed the morning breakfast.

As for location, it does not get any better. Some people may love being in the middle of the action, surrounded by thousands of other tourists, but I am not one of them. The Hotel sits on top of the ridge in Pacific Heights. It is an amazing place with beautiful homes. You are definitely away from the hordes of other tourists. Cow Hollow and the Marina District are down the hill with many neat little restaurants. You also have Fillmore to the east. Going up and down the hills can be a challenge, but great exercise. There is a beautiful park right near the hotel and the people were super-friendly. I had spent the last decade living in South Florida, which has the most unhappy people on Earth, so I was pleasantly surprised how friendly the people were in Pacific Heights.

The one drawback would be public transit. Taking the buses can be a tiring experience. I ended up mainly using cabs. I liked to walk down to the Marina and then take a cab back up the hill to the Hotel.

Room Tip: Getting a city view is worth it.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Williebeamon
Write a ReviewReviews (1,520)

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

This is the perfect hotel if you want to have easy access to San Francisco without being in the city. The second you walk through the doors everything is taken care of. Complimentary wine, water, espressos and breakfast are all included. While the hotel is good for being quiet you do have to be prepared for a 10-15 minute taxi ride to the city so depending on what you're doing this may not be the hotel for you. The rooms are very well done without being over the top.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank megs0607
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The staff is superb - the hotel is a classic - the location is perfect - the neighborhood upscale (take the walking tour that the hotel provides) - breakfast and afternoon wine and cheese are provided. The afternoon wine is attended and presented by different members of the staff and each made our time tasting different wines fun. Don't skip the breakfast buffet - the pastries alone are worth the time.
We've been to a number of hotels in our travels and not one compares to the Drisco - I knew we were comfortable when after a long day of touring Monterey and Carmel my wife said let's head back home - that one word describes this hotel - it's home and the staff were like staying with family - thank you everyone for providing us with a perfect vacation. We will be back!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Pat D
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

I had heard that the food at the Disco was good but even I was shocked. Great breakfast lunch and dinner. Don't miss it. Also the service was amazing. Really nice and helpful staff. A very charming hotel. Would stay there any time I come to the Bay Area.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Jenjoyg
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We reserved a 2 bedroom suite expecting to have 4 people for a family event. We had an unexpected surprise and found out one of our daughters and her partner could now join us as well for this momentous occasion (Masters graduation ceremony). I requested to have the two people included in our reservation in a suite that has two bedrooms and a queen sized sofa bed. I was told unequivocally and in no uncertain terms that the room could only accommodate 5 adults. I wasn't told why, just that 5 was the limit. We've now had to adjust our plans and move to another location (Courtyard by MARRIOTT) which will make logistics more challenging. True customer service is finding a way, especially when a special occasion is involved. I was appalled at the way the hotel staff handled this situation. I understand rules, but sometimes they can be bent. This #1 rated hotel has now lost a potential future guest that has two families living in the local area. I guess that's not a problem for them though, they are #1 (and done!).

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank JoeandCherylB
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Guest,

I regret that we are unable to accommodate six adults in our Two Bedroom Two Bathroom suite, but the maximum occupancy for that room is five adults. There are limits to occupancy in each of our different room types in order to maintain the safety, security and comfort of all of our guests.

I am very sorry you were disappointed and I hope you found agreeable accommodations elsewhere.

Kind Regards,

John Spear

Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I are staying here for our anniversary weekend. Our room was upgraded to a suite and the room, city view and amenities are amazing! Great complimentary breakfast and wine hour, beautiful neighborhood and perfect location to access Union Square, Golden Gate bridge, Fisherman's wharf etc..we would happily stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Santos34
Reviewed 31 May 2014

As part of my 50th birthday treat we booked Hotel Drisco for 3 nights and from the date of booking until the time we were dropped off at the airport, the service was exceptional.
For small cost we were picked up and dropped off at the airport in a Lincoln Car and Julio the driver was amazing and so helpful and gave us lots of suggestions for things to do in SF. Also unlimited team & coffee in the lounge was a lovely touch as too was the cheese and wine in the evening. I could write forever, but readers would give up reading. This hotel oozes quality

Room Tip: Facing the city
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple