“Modern, chic and affordable hotel in the heart of the city”

Galleria Park Hotel
Ranked #31 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Norfolk, Virginia
“Modern, chic and affordable hotel in the heart of the city”
Reviewed 25 April 2013

My husband and I really enjoyed our one night stay at this modern hotel located in the heart of SF's financial district. We arrived early (10AM) and the nice gentleman at the front desk was happy to accommodate us. He even upgraded us to a suite because we waited patiently as he spoke on the phone to another guest for the first five minutes upon our arrival. I thought this was very nice! The suite was HUGE - two full rooms, bedroom w/ TV, living room w/ TV sitting area and little dining table, and an updated bathroom. You could tell that this was an older building that had recently been updated, and perhaps done so on the cheaper end (husband is in the commercial construction industry so he takes notice of these things); however, I thought that all of the updates were very tasteful and they did a great job blending the old with the new. We had never been to SF, so the hotel was in a great location to explore all of the hot spots aka tourist areas - Ferry Bldg, piers, shopping district, and china town. I think if we had stayed more than one night we might have been disappointed as we went back on the last day of our stay trying to kill some time before heading to the airport (on a Sunday) and most things were closed. This was strange to us as we visit NYC quite frequently and I have never felt as though Sundays are dead, but it literally felt dead in this part of the city. Luckily we had friends in the city who directed us towards a more local area over by Chestnut Street. If was nice to have the two perspectives.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Great service and amazing location, close to the financial district, China Town, and some really cool restaurants! The employees at the front desk are wonderful people. The place has a great vibe to it. Very relaxing environment as well.

Room Tip: Stay away from the street view. Too much noise
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Alejandro A
GalleriaHotelGM, General Manager at Galleria Park Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
Dear Alejandro A,

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your overall experience here in Galleria Park Hotel. We are indeed very lucky to have such amazing team members in our front desk. I appreciate you acknowledging their efforts in exceeding guests' expectations.

We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Warm Regards,

James Lim
jlim@jdvhotels.com
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I stayed at this hotel for Business and found it to be very nice. The rooms are not huge, but they are very nice and comfortable. The staff was very nice and welcoming. Often, I would come in the door and multiple people would greet me and open elevator doors for me... small detail, but nice. The only suggestion that I would make would be to request an interior room. I was in a room that was right on Kearny and it ended up being pretty loud in the morning. Also, the 'running track' is a nice, outdoor space, but not huge. Not sure I could actually run laps there due to the size. I really did enjoy the green space, however, that was provided by that rooftop patio. One other note is that the Fitness Room is quite small with only a few machines available. That wasn't a huge deal for me, but it is much smaller than other hotels. All that being said, I'll definitely consider staying there again if I have the opportunity to go back to San Francisco! The location couldn't be better!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Laura L
Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed 19 April 2013

We hadn't been to SF in 20 years, and never previously had relied on public transit. This hotel was very nice, although first impression was that it was old (it is) and shabby (it isn't--this was due to the stylish grayed color scheme). The staff was very pleasant and helpful, the happy hour was very happy (with actually good wine!!), and there is a nice outdoor park-like space on the 3rd floor. BUT the BEST thing was the location!! We had no idea how perfect it was when we chose the hotel. Chinatown, excellent restaurants, BART and Metro and busses, Market St., shopping--all within easy walking distance. Several wonderful museums are a short easy bus ride away. We had no problem getting anyplace that we wanted to go--including the Golden Gate area. DO get a 3-day MUNI pass (the staff can tell you where and how) if you are using the public transit, it makes life a breeze. We will be back.

Room Tip: Some reviewers complain about the noise in the outer rooms. We were in an outer room and it wasn...
1 Thank lezro
Kevin S, Director of Operations at Galleria Park Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2013
Dear lezro,
Thank you so much for the amazing 5 star review on TripAdvisor! We are so happy to read that you enjoyed your trip back to San Francisco and your visit to our hotel. I am sure you noticed a lot of changes in the past twenty years. Thank you for pointing out all of the wonderful amenities our historic hotel has to offer, especially the location. Also, thank you for suggesting to future readers about the 3 day MUNI pass. It's the best and easiest way to navigate the city.
Thank you again for your time and we hope to welcome you back soon!
Best regards,
Kevin Scott
kscott@jdvhotels.com
Reviewed 18 April 2013 via mobile

Classy newly refurbished historic hotel in the heart of San Francisco. Free wine everyday at 5:30. Valet parking or a close public lot. Easy walk to the Embarcadero and tons of good restaurants. Rooms a little small and occasional noise from the hot water heat. Rooms have a safe, refrigerator, free WiFi, and Keurig coffee maker.

• Stayed April 2013
Orange County
Reviewed 18 April 2013

We love the Joie de Vivre hotel chain. We appreciate that most of the hotels allow for pets. We traveled with our dog to SF for spring break and had a great time. Galleria Park Hotel is in a great location and walking distance to many things. The hotel itself has a boutique feeling and is very charming. The staff was helpful and pleasant. They offer complimentary wine hour daily in the lobby which is very enjoyable. Our room was small but nice, quiet, and clean. They have a garden terrace where you can take your pet.

My only negative experience was the access to the hotel from the garden terrace. The garden can be accessed from outside the hotel for all to enjoy and you need a room key to get into the hotel. However, many times when I went out to the terrace the deadbolt was open keeping the door ajar and allowing access into the hotel from people other than hotel guests. This detracted from my overall feeling of safety and security. When I brought it to the attention of the front desk, she appreciated the point I was making and said she would address the issue with the manager. I also included my experience in the survey the hotel sent out.

The next day I received an email from the Director of Operations at the hotel. He stated he had been discussing the terrace security issue with his Chief Engineer earlier in the week because he had been finding the door propped open much more recently. After reading my feedback from their survey they promptly removed the latch.

Now that's service. I will definitely return to the Galleria Park Hotel and look forward to visiting all the Joie de Vivre hotels.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Susie J
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 16 April 2013

The hotel has a nice location, but I must admit I had higher expectations regarding the room considering the high ranking on TripAdvisor.
We had requested an interior facing queen room, because we had read about the street noise in exterior rooms. I was happy it was quiet, but I think next time I would opt for exterior facing (but on a higher floor), because it felt claustrophobic at night. The room is on the small side, but the bathroom is nice. The room could use so renovation, it felt a bit outdated.

You can use the business center to print your boarding pass for free, but remember that this only works when you can print it from the airline's website. For me that didn't work because my airline (KLM) sends the boarding pass to your email, and you can print it from there. So then you would have to pay to use the computer for both the use of the PC and the prints....

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Kevin S, Director of Operations at Galleria Park Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Dear Marlies84,
Thank you so much for your recent comments on TripAdvisor about your experience at Galleria Park Hotel.
While we were happy to hear that you enjoyed our location we are more disappointed to hear that you did not prefer the interior room you requested. We love being able to offer guests their choice of room type and view. We truly hope that we get an opportunity to have you experience a top floor room facing the city.
Finally, we apologize that you had issues with printing your boarding pass. Our Business Center is set up to provide 20 minutes of complimentary internet access. Please know we are always happy to print your boarding pass at the Front Desk if you have connection issues or go over the allotted time.
If I can be of additional assistance upon your next visit please do not hesitate to contact me.
Best regards,