“Lobby was very old but room is ok”

Grand Hyatt San Francisco
Ranked #38 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Just completed the room renovation so room is brand new. But lobby was so old, and no security. Anybody can jump in to the elevator. Standard room only comes with one chair by the work table, no other place to sit other than the beds. If the rates are good I would stay here again but if the rates are higher I would rather be Intercontinental SF or St.Regis.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (4,988)

Reviewed 8 August 2011

I chose to stay at the Grand Hyatt San Francisco because of the reviews on TripAdvisor. I also chose it because it had a shuttle bus running from the hotel to the trade show I was going to at Moscone Center.

The hotel is contemporary and modern. The staff was friendly and helpful. What I like about the hotel was its location. It was walking distance to a lot of shopping centers, restaurants and around Union Square. It was close to Chinatown.

I only had three minor problems while at this hotel. The first was that they put us at a handicap room. When I questioned them about it they stated that the room had good views. But it was just odd that they did this considering I did not request for a handicap room. I know for a fact that there were other rooms available that also had good views. Needless to say I still accepted it as the room was comfortable and clean.

My second issue was the air conditioner unit. When I arrived it was not working. An engineer came to fix it but when he left it did not work again. The second time he came it finally worked. However, the unit made some noises which kept my partner up one night.

Third, was the elevator. There was a total of six elevators yet the wait time was horrendous. There was one time I was at the lobby waiting for a good five minutes.

But overall the hotel was great. What I like most about the hotel was the location, the views, the clean/contemporary look/feel, the comfortable bed, the exercise room, the toiletries (shampoo/soap has a great scent), room service, and the breakfast buffet.

The parking was $36 self-park and $55 valet - per day. Knowing that it was San Francisco, I actually expected the high price set for parking. Make sure you bring walking shoes as you will surely walk around this beautiful city.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 August 2011

This hotel is our destination hotel in San Francisco. It is situated right on Union Square, within easy walking distance of Chinatown, shopping, the cable car and great restaurants. We believe that this is the best location in the city. In addition to the location, the Hyatt has the best bar in San Francisco---overlooking the Golden Gate and Alcatraz, I believe only available on the Club level.

Room Tip: Book through the hotel's website only.
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2011

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. I am honored that we are your destination hotel while you’re in San Francisco. We have a great location and just completed a multimillion dollar renovation. All of our guestrooms have been updated ensuring that our guests will have a comfortable stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to our property soon!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 6 August 2011

Even though the hotel is in the midst of renovation, it is still a wonderful place. Try to get the restaurant view on the top before they, sadly, move it to the mezzanine. Ask for a high floor, the views are spectacular!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business

I am delighted to hear that you had a great stay at our hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. We have just completed the guestroom renovation at our hotel. When a guest stays with us they will receive a newly renovated room. I am glad you found the restaurant and views to be spectacular. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt in the future!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 3 August 2011

Located in downtown San Francisco, ideal place. Near Powell cable car line, at the base of Nob Hill.
Unimpressed with lobby, rooms are small. Bathrooms are adequate.
Good breakfast upstairs with amazing views. Service is as expected for this class of hotel. Prepared to pay over $300/night.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We had problems nearly every time trying to use the hotel elevator. We were on the 7th floor and by the time the elevator reached us 85% of the time it was already full (during normal hours) and it took usually around 7 minutes of waiting just to show up. Most of the time we just trekked on down the stairs, but they really should have a better system. Maybe they stop using some of the elevators during the weekdays, but it was ridiculous.

I found the beds to be very comfortable! The bathrooms are odd and there is a sliding door that never really closes all the way so you can hear everything out in the bedroom if you know what I mean.

The location is excellent. There is a Starbucks right across the street, Union Square, Chinatown and North Beach are all within walking distance.

Be careful. The hotel charges $56 a day for parking. We just used the Sutter Stockton garage on the corner and it ended up averaging out at $21 a day.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank uofawildcat32
Reviewed 2 August 2011

My husband and I stayed for five nights and it was wonderful. We used the AAA rate which included breakfast. Our room was on the 23rd floor and we had a fantastic view of Coit Tower and Alcatraz. Breakfast on the 36th floor every morning was excellent and you could get french toast, waffles, or eggs to order in addition to the buffet. The room had been recently refurbished and it was very modern with wonderful shades that could be raised or lowered from the bed. But the best part was the wonderful staff: front desk, bellman, housekeeping, waiters, and the concierge desk. Two in particular, Joanne and I believe Lisa, were not just helpful, but also very patient in providing daily maps outlining the transit options. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Spacecoast1234
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2011

Dear Spacecoast1234:

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback on your recent stay at the Grand Hyatt San Francisco. We're delighted to hear how we are your "new favorite hotel"! We will also make sure to pass your feedback to our management, so the employees whom assisted you during your visit, will be recognized for their efforts. We hope you'll join us again on your next visit to the city. Your referral is our biggest compliment.

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate