“Excellent transformation!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California, United States
“Excellent transformation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2012

I had the opportunity to visit this hotel yesterday and WOW! The remodel of public areas appears complete and it was jaw dropping!

I've stayed in one of the remodeled rooms (which was very nice), but hadn't been to the hotel since its public areas were remodeled. The new restaurant and lounge are now on the 2nd floor mezzanine and it creates great buzz. So smart - very hip, but not in a creepy "we are trying to be a club" feel. I didn't try the restaurant out yet (I peeked in), but the lobby lounge was great. The restaurant and lounge are separated by a long walkway that is a wine cellar of sorts. They are open to exterior windows so you see the city and it creates great energy. I can't wait to go back! I don't know what they are going to do with the old restaurant and lounge on top floor, but they were rather sad and needed to be retired anyway.

The concierge desk is smartly placed, new seating in the lobby for guests is great with a cool fireplace. There are video screens everywhere - showing tranquil scenes. Even the etching on the glass of San Francisco map is totally cool. The stone flooring, warmth of wood ... it all works beautifully.

I loved the front desk ... it is just a collection of counters with laptops. Super inviting.

The staff were all very welcoming - they must be excited to have this total revamp.

And the doorman looks like a doorman (maybe he had same uniform before, but I don't think so.) It really felt like everything had been revamped. It feels like a brand new hotel! The outdoor planters are wonderful and welcome you as approach the hotel. It used to be drab (and that is being generous).

Now the hotel inside and out is alive and inviting.

I really was blown away - and you will be too. It truly is a "grand" hotel now!

Bravo! I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Go for the Club Lounge level - it really is worth it!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, 19 November 2012
Dear Patricia W.,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a 5-star review! 'WOW' - that seem to be the reaction from many of our guests! The entire staff is very proud with the finished product and we are very excited to welcome our guests to share their experience with us as well. All of the design were carefully thought out and executed. I must agree the fireplace in the lobby is such a cozy and warm place to hang out! Your great review is much appreciated and I will be sure to share with the entire team! We can't wait for you to come back and visit us again!!

Tiffany

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (864)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in November at the end of our USA trip and were very impressed. We booked the free Hyatt time deal through Hyatt and paid 2 nights and got our third night for free and got free breakfast each day. The hotel was recently renovated and we were given a free upgrade upon arrival to the 29th floor so it only added to our experience. Staff were all helpful and friendly and I found the staff at the 1-up restaurant to be excellent. We loved the Buffett breakfast. It was ll fresh and organic ingredients and was beautiful. The beds were so comfortable. Only one flaw was there was not Dsney or Nickoleon Chanel's for kids. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Dear Allycat75,

Thank you so much for your review! It is great to hear you and your family enjoyed the renovated guestroom and the brand new OneUP restaurant. One of our commitment at the restaurant is to support our local farmers and provide the freshest ingredients. We are delighted you like it! Your review will be shared with my team and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon!

Warm regards,
Salt Lake City, UT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2012

Stayed for a couple of nights this past week after the lobby renovation was complete. Very nice looking lobby with a casual check-in, beautiful fireplaces and sitdown areas. Check-in was efficient, but not very accommodating with regards to asking for a different room view.

Room was very nice and everything appeared brand new as they completely gutted their rooms and updated them with wood floors, nice walk-in shower, and very comfy beds.

Ordered room service and it was fine, nothing outstanding, but came very quickly and the server was very friendly.

Location is excellent- right across Union Square from Macy's and within walking distance to a ton of shops and restaurants.

My main issue was the fact that they've spend millions on renovating their rooms, a big, new lobby and restaurant, nice new tv's, but no HDTV signal in their guestroom!? C'mon, this is 2012- almost every decent hotel has HDTV signals broadcast. Might not be a big issue to some, but I enjoy watching sports and non-HDTV is almost enough to turn me away in the future.

2 Thank JMac123
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2012

The Grand Hyatt just completed a much needed renovation of its public spaces and the new version is much improved. The lobby has a modern, yet warm feel to it and the staff could not be any friendlier. The new restaurant, OneUp, has a limited menu but the food quality is outstanding. I got the lamb burger for lunch and it was one of the better burgers I have ever eaten. The Regency Club lounge at this property is one of the best in the US as the views alone are worth the additional cost. From the Regency Club you get a panorama of one of the most beautiful cities in the country. The food in the Regency Club is excellent and the staff (Dave and others) are incredibly helpful and friendly. The workout facility is on the smaller side for such a nice hotel but the equipment is new and well maintained. The concierge, JoAnna, is friendly and very knowledgeable about local restaurants and activities.

My room was a double on the 32nd floor. The rooms are moderate in size but have new amenities including a very comfortable bed and a large flat screen TV.

This hotel is centrally located, very close to Union Square, close to the BART Station (Powell Street) and close to the Terminus of the famous SF Cable Car (Powell Line). I took that BART in from the airport and then walked 4 blocks to the hotel. The BART ticket cost me almost $9 but was far less expensive than a taxi ride into the city which will run about $50 with tip. The ride in on BART was 30 minutes and I am sure that rush hour traffic would have resulted in a 45 minute taxi ride, at least. The hotel is also very close to the Financial District, for those in SF on business.

1 Thank PTelan
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, 16 November 2012
Dear PTelan,

Thank you so much for a 5-star review! We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed the amenities offered at the club and the beautiful view. It is always great to hear positive feedback about the renovation and our newest restaurant from our guests. I will be sure to share your comment with my team. Your detailed review is much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sincerely yours,
Kirkland, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012

My new home in San Francisco. Construction was complete by my arrival and the combination of warm, retro, chic cozy is a perfect pairing for the city. The checking is open and friendly with individual check in at large tables. Fireplace huge living rooms grace the lobby with spa music playing in the background

The rooms a retro colors of golden, sand and brown put together in a very sleek configuration. Love the vibe, location and service

1 Thank mcclungp
Dear mcclungp,

Wow! Thank you so much for your 5-star review! We are thrilled you had such a wonderful experience at our hotel and consider our hotel to be your new home in San Francisco! The entire team at the hotel is very proud of the renovation and it is always great to hear our guests enjoyed their stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Truly yours,
Enschede
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

Check-in was quick and efficient, lobby was under contruction but the staff did its utmost to limit the impact to its guest. Good rooms clean and spacious.
Disappointing was the bar and restaurant. In particular the breakfast buffet was up to standard - if I was staying at a Holiday Inn. The buffet was rarely open on time, drinks arriving late, etc. The construction in the lobby was to create a new bar and restuarant but it seemed that they had already closed down. Too bad because the view from the bar and restaurant is awesome.
Great hotel - and I expect the new bar and restaurant to be better organised...

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, 13 November 2012
Dear TonTraveller,

Thank you for you review. We are pleased to hear our staff was able to offer quick and efficient service at check in and you've enjoyed our guestroom. We apologize for the limited service at the Grandviews during the transition to OneUP restaurant. Rest assured, the quality and service at OneUP located on the Mezzanine level will be at its top shape for your next visit!

Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt for a week in early October and it was an absolute pleasure to stay here. I was in San Francisco during an extremely busy week for the city, with all the events on (the Oracle Convention, America’s Cup, Fleet Week, the Blue Angels Air Shows, Castro Street Fair, and the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival).

Yes, the hotel Lobby was being renovated (due to be completed in November) and the main temporary entrance was located on Sutter Street, but that was nothing to be worried about. As soon as I stepped out of the taxi in front of the hotel, the service I received from staff was exceptional. All the staff members I spoke to were very helpful and professional (the bellmen, front desk, concierge, club lounge and housekeeping staff). They all provided top notch service and were very willing to help when needed.

The room was beautiful. It was designed in a way that just felt welcoming and very comfortable, with lots of space and storage. I had a room on one of the higher floors, so it was quiet & the view was spectacular. I loved coming back to my room after a long day of exploring the city to unwind & go to sleep in a very comfortable bed. I would also lower the darkening shade on the window before I went to sleep, so I wasn’t woken up by a bright room in the morning.
The bathroom was also larger than I had expected.

The hotel is right in the middle of Union Square and is very centrally located.
You can walk all over the city from there, or easily find connections to public transport within a few blocks (buses, trains, streetcars and cable cars).
Otherwise the bellmen can call a taxi for you, right outside the front door.

I really enjoyed my stay at the Grand Hyatt, thoroughly recommend it and would stay here again if I get another chance to travel back to San Francisco!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank smiley76
Dear Smiley76,

Wow! Thank you so much for the 5-star review! We are thrilled you had such a wonderful time with us! That was indeed a very busy week in the city! Sounds like you had a great time exploring San Francisco! It is always great to hear compliments on our renovated guestroom and the exceptional guest service provided by our staffs. Your recommendation is our biggest compliments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!