“perfect location, stylish hotel in stylish town, warm but professional staff”

Grand Hyatt San Francisco
Ranked #38 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hyogo
“perfect location, stylish hotel in stylish town, warm but professional staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Nothing to have as a downside. Was not a bargain, but San Francisco hotels are pricey any way. A short walk from the BART stations Powell St and another one. Wondered whether it would be easier to get into town by taxi with big suitcases, but didn't need to worry about that. Pulling along big suitcases was no problem for the short walk from the station, and there's a lift from the station floor to the street on ground level, so you won't have to carry it, and the BART wasn't too crowded either. Room was nice an spacious enough, had a great view overlooking the Square, just as the reception staff promised with a great warm smile. Plenty of nice places to pick up breakfast at beside, and a lot of shops and restaurants open till late at night in a very safe looking neibourhood. One small regret is that I didn't get more of Ghirardelli's chocolate squares at a great bargain at Walgreens! Did the Big Bus hop-on-hop-off as well, that we started from the Square as well. China-town was just a few blocks away and just a short stroll.
All in all, I think it was the 'niceness' of the staff that made this hotel a really nice place to stay. They really made me feel welcome without overdoing it or being too posh about it. They even have yoga mat rentals (for free I think, but don't quite remember), if you want to join the San Francisco locals with keeping fit.

Room Tip: We were on the 10th floor, but the view was still great. Could see far off towards the Bay, since i...
1 Thank tim-tam-tam
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear tim-tam-tam,

We appreciate you took the time to write us a review. Sounds like you had a fun time exploring San Francisco and experienced the different neighborhoods near the hotel. I'm particular happy to read your comment about our staffs and glad you enjoyed the view from your room! We can't wait for you to come back and visit us in the near future!

Tiffany

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (864)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

The best location in SF -

Pros.
- The property is located in Union Square
- Remodel of the property just finished and it is stunning
- The rooms are huge for SF standards
- Every room will have a view
- They have one of the best Grand Hyatt Lounges in Americas
- Staff is outstanding at the front desk
- Usually pretty solid in pricing and well worth its value
- City parking garage across the street (Parked overnight on a Sat. for only $18!)
- Gym is on the 28th floor (or something like that) and is huge!
- Some of the best views from a hotel in SF (Maybe minus Fairmont SF and Westin)
- Way better than any Marriott property in SF

Cons.
- The bathroom sinks are useless and get water everywhere
- Room shades are fun, but not practical
- Elevators can be slow at times, but they have improved
- It is an uphill walk slightly for a half a block to get back (but hey its SF)
- Rooms can get a bit loud from outside
- Front door staff is a bit lazy

Overall, what a great property! The remodel is amazing, I was trying to get a suite but no dice as they were all sold out - but I saw the inside of one and just amazing. Upgrade to a Grand Hyatt Lounge access room - man that lounge is fantastic and has jaw dropping views.

Room Tip: Higher the floor the better - get a Grand Club room
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank reinventtravel
Dear reinventtravel,

Thanks for the detailed review! Great to hear you enjoyed the view from your room and the amenities offered at the Grand Club Lounge! We appreciate your feedback on some of the concerns you had and will definitely share with the appropriate departments. Please come back and see us again soon!

cow country, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

I booked two rooms here for myself and a friend and my 23-year old daughter and her friend.
They stayed two nights and we stayed three. I'm a big Hyatt fan so I always try to stay at a Hyatt because the service is always top notch and the locations are typically great.

We checked in early Friday morning about 10 AM--much earlier than the 3 PM p.m. check in time. The staff placed us in rooms on the 26th and 27th floors. The view was fantastic! The only issue we had with the rooms with that the air conditioning was not sufficient. I had engineering come up twice and it was never really resolved although they did offer to move us to another room.

This property has a great location right in the middle of Union Square--with tons of shopping and restaurants nearby and Starbucks right across the street. This is a perfect city for walking and we sure did a lot of it while we were there for four days.

This Hyatt has a very nice wine bar and the package we booked included a buffet breakfast which was delicious. The staff is very accommodating and everyone's pretty friendly. This may be our new favorite hotel in San Francisco!

Room Tip: Ask to be placed on a high floor.
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

I'm a local - living just North of 'the city' as locals like to call it and stayed in town one night because my business meetings would run long. Had been awhile since I had stayed here and they have redecorated. Uber modern - vessel sinks - pretty to look at, not so convenient if you need counter space to lay out your grooming supplies - ladies you know what I mean. But not a big deal. As all the previous travelers state - get a high room for two reasons: street noise (SF is a busy city and this is a very busy area) and views. Don't bring a car if you can help it. Why? For one thing this area is very pedestrian friendly with tons of restaurants/shopping w/i walking distance, secondly the traffic is a bear downtown and third it will cost you $62/night for valet and $41/night to self-park. The rooms are fine - nice touch is that all controls are right at your headboard - electrically controlled sun shade, lights, etc. Plenty of plug ins for electronics. Big picture windows. Union Square is just down the street, with a huge Macy's as well as many, many other shopping opportunities. Starbucks located in the hotel for your morning fix. Nice choice for staying in San Francisco.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TKD1BB
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for choosing the Grand Hyatt San Francisco for your overnight stay. We are delighted you enjoyed our remodeled guestroom and the amenities offered. I must agree with you parking in downtown San Francisco can be expensive, so public transportation is definitely a great alternative way. We appreciate you took the time to write us a review and hope you could stay longer on your next visit!

New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

This hotel is right in the heart of Union Square. So if you go to San Francisco to go shopping, this is the perfect place. This hotel and the area is a high traffic tourist area. The lobby is new and modern. I stayed on either the female friendly or female only floor. It is a nice option if you are traveling alone. I was told that there were extra amenities for females. The extras were a nail polish remover pad and a facial cleansing cloth. The room was nice and clean, but a bit small for two people.

1 Thank lor13149
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights while in San Francisco on business. This hotel is in a great location for walking to the Financial District or around the immediate area for shopping or picking up one of the sightseeing tours that launch from Union Square.

I checked in a bit early and asked if I could be placed in a high room since I read that street noise can be an issue. I felt the reservation desk representative went out of his way to get me in a great room even though a rather large convention seemed to be going on during my stay.

I had to wait about an hour for my room but it was worth it. Room 2918 has a great view of the city facing Union Square. Street noise was still heard that high up but it wasn’t bad and sort of added to the ambiance.

Pros
-The automatic shade was a really fancy feature that made me feel like I was a high roller. It did a great job of keeping out the unwanted sun in the early morning as well as helped keep the room cool when the sun was a little too intense.
-The rooms have been remodeled in a modern style, very nice.
-Flat screen TV
-Built in TV guide, although it has a way to go.
-Clean linens
-Plenty of outlets at desk area and beside bed.
-iPhone charger is available on the phone, although it is not a lightning connector.
-The cleverly disguised refrigerator had nothing in it which was perfect for my needs. I just grabbed a few breakfast items and snacks at a local bodega to keep in there.
-Concierge always very helpful and courteous

Cons
-I kept the temperature pretty low but I don’t think it ever got as cool as the display read
-While I didn't hear people in adjoining room, I did hear room service who was rather loud and housekeeping made lots of noise for hours even though there were only three rooms in the immediate area.
-Not enough drawer space for clothing.
-There isn’t a lot of privacy in bathroom provided with a thin sliding door.
-The shower head is a nice idea, the rain shower type, but it didn't telescope out far enough. I had to stand almost on the wall to wash shampoo out of my hair

All in all, my visit was great. A few co-workers staying at a competing hotel chain said I definitely made the right choice by staying at the Grant Hyatt.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Tracey R
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Tracey R,

Thank you for your detailed review. It is great to hear you enjoyed the beautiful view from your room and the in-room amenities offered. We appreciate your feedback on some of the concerns you had, which help us improve. Your comment will be shared with the appropriate departments to review. Thank you again for choosing to stay at the Grand Hyatt San Francisco. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards,
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

We enjoyed everything about this hotel. It's a very close walk to China Town, it's a very nice walk down to Washington Square and Fisherman Wharf area. Union Square is just outside the doors which is very awesome. Great energy, great restaurants and amazing shopping all with-in a few minutes of anything you could want. The rooms were great, staff was very helpful. The gym was close to as good as you'll get at a hotel, great variety of equipment.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank drewsntravel
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your review! We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and all the San Francisco attractions that are within walking distance! Glad you took advantage of our fitness center. Hope we'll see you again soon! Look forward to welcoming you back.