“Not much to expect aside from a great location”

Grand Hyatt San Francisco
Ranked #38 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Excellent location being barely a block away from the center of Union Square.

The hotel is otherwise quite average and the premium you pay is for its location rather than the rooms. Rooms are decent but could be a bit more spacious, bathroom quite standard, generally not much surprises.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 2ndBro
Write a ReviewReviews (4,918)

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Ok. Check in can be a little annoying. They seem to move a bit slow, but after that everything was great. DO NOT try to check in before 3:00 pm, the room will not be available. This place is busy, especially on the weekends. We checked in on a Monday afternoon, not a problem. We were on the 14th floor, no complaints. Had a very nice double bed room. But the location of the hotel is superior. One block to Union Square and one block to Chinatown gate. Ask the concierge for their list of restaurants within walking distance, it's a great list. Also, we didn't need a car. If you are flying in to just stay in San Francisco, you really don't need to rent a car. I found that the CHEAPEST BEST transportation to get around the city was ÜBER. If you do not know about Uber, download the app for your smartphone and pre-register your credit card. The service is AWESOME. It's a flat rate ( no meters running) and tip is included. They just bill your credit card directly and there is no hassles. Only $40 from SF airport to the hotel (UberX) or if you need a bigger car it is $65 for the Black Car option. Then we used UberX to get down to the Wharf for $7 which includes the tip! The cable cars are fun too, and you should definitely ride them but it is $6 per person one way. All in all, the hotel was excellent and we enjoyed our stay. P.S. Check out Dylan's Tours for an excellent tour. It picks you up only one block from the hotel and is incredible and fun!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank alotoftravelbug
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Check-in: We arrived on Sunday, after an early flight from the East Coast, delayed at a stop over, then getting off at the wrong Bart Station, walked the wrong direction for 3 blocks, passing through some not so safe looking area, before we found our way to the hotel. Needless to say, we were exhausted by the time we arrived at the hotel. As soon as we arrived, we were greeted warmly by Paul, who took care of our check-in process. I loved their reception desks. They were arranged in a way that allowed more privacy and individual attention. I had requested a room away from common area on a higher floor. Paul spent the time looking for the perfect room and asked which criteria (quiet or higher floor) has a higher priority. And wanted to know if we wanted higher floor for view or to be away from the street noise. He ended up finding the perfect room on the 11th floor facing Union Square for us. He provided wonderful customer service and really made us glad that we chose this hotel. It was the best check-in experience I ever had.

The room was modern, clean and nicely done. It had a mini-fridge, which was convenient to store the cream puffs I got from Beard Papa. Even though the room was on the 11th floor, we could still hear some street noises, but it was not too bad. The room had a nice view of the Union Square and Macys. There is complimentary wi-fi in the room (not every hotel in the area provide the wi-fi in the rooms for free). The hotel location was convenient for us. We went to Chinatown to pick up breakfast everyday when we were in town. Starbucks, Walgreen, the bus stop, and the trolley stop were all very close. We were able to go to the tourist attractions (Lombard Street, Fisherman's Wharf, Crissy Field...etc) taking the trolley and the buses.

Concierge: We went to the concierge desk to ask about the Muni passes. The person we spoke to seemed preoccupied. When we asked, she simply told us the passes can be purchased at the Walgreen. And nothing else. We asked about the price for the passes. And she told us the wrong price. It was not a big deal. We could totally look up the information online. But I would expect the concierge to have the correct information for something basic like the price of the Muni passes and to be more helpful.

Other than the minor misinformation from the concierge, we had a wonderful stay. We will definitely choose this hotel again when we are in town.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank ReviewDC
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review! Sorry to hear the rough arrival from the airport but very glad that Paul was able to take care of you and accommodated your needs. You are absolutely right about the free Wi-Fi as many of other hotels in the neighborhood do charge a fee for that! Sounds like you had a fun time exploring all of the San Francisco attractions! We appreciate your feedback about the concierge desk and we will be sure to review it with the team.

Thank you again for staying with us! Look forward to see you again soon!
Warm regards,
Tiffany

Reviewed 16 April 2014

This is an update to a previous positive review for the property.

On my recent stay, I checked in on a Saturday. I asked for a quiet room and the front desk person seemed unfamiliar with the property because they put me on the 10th floor, facing Union Square and with my front door less than 2 feet from 3 other rooms (very odd configuration). Not only did I get to hear everyone coming in and out of their rooms, but the Union Square noise and overnight construction (woke me up at 3am on 4/16) were intolerable.

Additionally, on day 1-3 of my 4 day stay my non-smoking room was filled with marijuana smell off and on. My guess is that hotel staff were smoking in a service hallway that somehow connected to my air duct, or there was someone constantly smoking on the street near an intake. The smoke didn't appear to be coming from neighboring rooms.

After two nights of this madness, I asked the front desk staff to move me to the other side of the building. They had rooms on the other side, just nothing on a higher floor, which I said was fine. He said he would take my name and room number and see what could be done to get me up higher, as well. I said great, and confirmed with him that I would check-in with the front desk when I returned in late afternoon. When I returned, there were no notes on my account. No one knew anything about what was going on with my move. After explaining this twice now, I was very frustrated and just decided to deal with staying in this terrible room and never returning to the property again. To add insult to injury, the staff I spoke to in the morning had de-activated my room key (I know this because he mentioned that he needed to change that for me because he had realized that I would have to get back in my room when I returned for the day).

My number one pet peeve in customer service is people communicating to you that they are taking ownership and will see it through, but then they just let it drop without closing the loop. I'm not complaining about lack of availability to switch rooms (if that was the case even), I'm complaining about the continued missed follow-through by staff at the hotel from check-in to my request to move.

As far as facilities go, the surfaces were dusty (need to change the air filters) and the water pressure was terrible. If a neighboring room flushed the toilet or turned on a shower, my shower pressure dropped so low that the toggle between shower and bath faucet was switched. Fun. That happened multiple times during a shower. When I checked into the room, they had doused the place with Febreeze.

The only pros I can say about this hotel are that they provide a mini-fridge, and the location is good.

Room Tip: Stay up high, and away from Union Square, or better yet, don't stay here.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank seattlearc
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Really enjoyed our stay at the Hyatt in SF. Excellent location, very close to Union Square and plenty of shopping choices. Speedy check in and check out and housekeeping responded quickly to a couple of requests. Rooms were spacious and very modern and well appointed. We had a room on 5th floor and had a bit of street noise occasionally but not a major issue for us. I would stay here again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Amanda O
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I recently stayed at the Grand Hyatt on Stockton and was very pleased with the new renovation and upgrade in general. I particularly like this location because I an find everything I need and walk everywhere. But I am most impressed with the concierge desk. Elaine is my favorite go to person whenever I am in town but John, Annie or Lisa all provide wonderful services. Elaine recommended a top notch massage place: Pure Organic. I promise you will not be sorry!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thanks so much for your awesome review and glad you like our new look! I must agree with you our concierge team is definitely one of the best in the city! thank you for staying with us again and hope to see you soon in the near future!

Warm regards,
Tiffany

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I stayed in this Hotel with my Family and thoroughly enjoyed the Stay. The staff are nice and the Best part about the Hotel is its proximity to Union Square. Its just Beside the Hotel. There is enough transportation nearby and Also lots of Shopping Option. Overall the Hotel experience was pretty good.

Room Tip: Try to get a higher room for a good view of the City
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family