“The Perfect Location for Us”

Grand Hyatt San Francisco
Ranked #38 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We chose The Grand Hyatt to be close to Union Square. It was a wonderful location, just down from Macy's and so close to Union Square and Powell Street. It was so easy to walk to great shopping experiences and restaurants. We preferred to stay closer to Union Square than Fisherman's Wharf as it was less touristy. Our room was extremely modern, clean and well appointed. As other reviewers have commented upon, the rooms are not sound proof. We could easily hear the families in the next rooms. It did not distract from our overall hotel experience though. Very approachable, knowledgeable and friendly concierge and valet staff. Great to have a hotel car to choose from to take us to the airport. Would definitely stay at The Grand Hyatt if we are ever fortunate enough to visit San Francisco again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MoochAdelaide
Write a ReviewReviews (5,032)

Reviewed 1 June 2014

The hotel has been redone since I last stayed there, and cosmetically, it is great. The restaurant had some good choices for breakfast ($25-45) and courteous staff and waiters.

The room was clean, had a decent space to work, fairly standard bed, TV, and armchair.

The shower had a nice big shower-head, implying a satisfying shower but at full pressure, the water barely fell one foot away from the front wall. Rinsing shampoo out of my hair was an exercise in banged knees and elbows.

The views from the conference rooms on the 36th floor were fantastic.

Room Tip: In May of 2014, there was construction on Stockton between Post and Market. They started making noi...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Great location almost on top of Union Square. Self-park just across the street for $42/night with full in/out access is a BIG plus in any city but especially SF. There are SO many terrific places to eat AND DRINK within a very short walk that the fact you do not need a cab to/from dining or to shop or to grab a cable car easily justifies the price.
Very easy check in...one of the 5 most comfortable mattresses....our room did NOT have a view worthy of the word 'view'...but having been to SF dozens of ties I don't feel it necessary to pay up for a view when I want the room to sleep...great shower...clean as a whistle....quiet.. (we were on the 3rd floor but not over the street)....comfortable and friendly.
((I recently gave a so-so review to a Hyatt in San Jose and if the fellow who berated me for that review stayed at the Grand Hyatt he would understand what I meant when I said the San Jose property was NOT what one expects of a Hyatt.)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This hotel was recently renovated and was a great stay for my mom and I. The location is in Union Square and it is right across from Starbucks and close to a few diners to grab breakfast. The room was very comfortable and modern. I really enjoyed staying here are would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for the last leg of our honeymoon. It's a nice hotel with modern & comfortable rooms. Reception staff are great & concierge are also excellent. Breakfast is good with a range of choices. Location is excellent, I would recommend this hotel for a comfortable stay in San Fran!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We didn't know what to expect from this hotel but since we arrived everyone was ready to help us out. We were amazed by the customer service we got from every single employee. Once we got to our very home-like rooms we were surprised by how everything was prepared for us to stay there. When we finally laid down we all just said "wow!"; the beds are SO good and oh so comfortable.
The location, the beds, the service, the lobby, everything is just perfect. I would absolutely recommend it and will definitely go back in the future.
Thank you for an amazing vacation!

Room Tip: The higher you go the prettier the view!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Michelle G
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Michelle G,

Thank you so much for the awesome review! We are thrilled you had such a great experience with us and wowed you with our excellent guest service and hotel accommodation! Your recommendation is our biggest compliment. We can't wait to welcoming you back for another fantastic stay with us!

Warm regards,
Tiffany

Reviewed 31 May 2014

The Grand Hyatt San Francisco is like having a luxury vehicle which you cant drive because there is no fuel in it.

When you pay the kind of money they charge, you would expect the basic stuff to work.

1. My booking was for a king bedroom and what I got was a double queen room.

2. Squeaky elevators make you feel like you are in some 1960s building where there is some bloke pulling your elevations with a pulley. The elevators take unbelievable time to arrive and when they do, you hardly get space to stand.

3. The Air conditioning in the room would not work.

4. There is no water pressure in the bathrooms.

The rooms are equipped with the most chic and trendy stuff, but if you dont have the air conditioning in order and you dont have enough pressure in the water whats the point?

I would never like to see a service man come into my room when I am on a vacation to repair the water pressure or air conditioning. I pay the hotel good money to ensure that this is taken care of. Unfortunately this happened at the "Grand" Hyatt and to my surprise, the guy could only fix the air conditioning and could do nothing about the water pressure.

Location of the hotel is very good and the restaurant in the hotel, "One Up" serves some good food.

Overall I do not think this hotel is value for money. I would not stay here again and I will not recommend this to anyone.

Room Tip: I do not recommend this hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Suryavarman

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to provide excellent accommodations and services to our guests. It is disappointed to hear you had such a poor experience with us. Please accept our sincere apologies. Your satisfaction is our number one priority and we would like to regain your confidence back. A private message has been sent to you through TripAdvisor and we hope to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,