Grand Hyatt San Francisco
Good 3.5/5
US$571
US$264
  • Pool
Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$265
US$214
Great 4.5/5
  • Restaurant
Hotel Rex San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$252
US$202
  • Restaurant
Hilton Parc 55 San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$246
US$219
  • Bar/Lounge
Courtyard by Marriott San Francisco Downtown(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$251
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
San Francisco Marriott Marquis(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$285
US$249
  • Bar/Lounge
Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$248
US$362
Orbitz.com
Great 4.5/5
5,102 results
All reviewsunion squaregreat locationapple storetop floorclub roomfloor to ceiling windowsbay viewconcierge deskcoit towergreat shoppingfitness centercentral locationthe heart of the citycable carvalet parkingfisherman's wharffew blocks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Apparently this hotel has had a makeover on the recent past..It worked. The club level room was not cheap but still a value considering the level of service, the view and the location. Hardwood floors, great beds and showers, and floor to ceiling windows. The bellman and valets were 100% on point for whatever you needed. Never a long wait whether you wanted your car, a cab or your bags. The hotel bar was one of the best I have ever visited, 20 plus foot floor to ceiling windows overlooking the street with a great selection of all spirits and the professional level bartenders to run things. The fitness center is on the 34th floor and you run on a treadmill with a view of the city in front of you.

Room Tip: Pay the difference for the club level.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. Sounds like you had a wonderful time staying in our Grand Club room! It is always nice to hear our staffs were able to provide quick and efficient service. Our Restaurant Manager does a awesome job to ensure our OneUp Lounge offer a great selection of beverages and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Your compliment is much appreciated and we hope to see you come back and visit us again!

Warm regards,
Tiffany

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Aside from the convenience of the location our stay ended up being average and not very comfortable. We could not wait to leave - we were exhausted after our stay.

The reception staff were friendly and helpful - we were given a room with a nice view of Union Square but we soon found out that it was horrible. We went to sleep each night with construction loud noises outside, it continued throughout the night and we always awoke to loud drilling noises - we stayed for 5 nights and it was the same every single night, never ending. I can't believe the hotel didn't inform us of this construction and incredibly disruptive noise - As a general courtesy. We had to use ear plugs each night and that didn't even help. The windows must be incredibly thin as it felt like we were sleeping out on the street.

The room was clean but didn't even have a kettle or tea - Not 5 star at all without basics

The Concierge team was the most unfriendly Concierge team we had experienced in all of our hotel stays - Very lacklustre attitudes, almost seemed we were wasting their time with questions and felt we were rushed. Just didn't feel welcomed - a smile would go along way. The first time we thought they were having a bad day but it was the case everyday. Some training at The Venetian in Vegas would show them how its done. To us it seemed this hotel catered to business travellers not holiday makers.

In general the staff in the hotel were not friendly compared to other hotels - except for the odd few like the bar attendant in bar who was super helpful and gave us some tips for restaurants and things to do.

Great location, clean but didn't have the hospitality standards a five or even four star hotel needs to make guests feel welcome. Service needs work.

Check if there is construction going on outside the hotel before staying there.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WillowSydney
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This was our hotel of choice in San Francisco for many years until we decided to go a little "up the scale", but then returned on this trip. Our experience was the best yet, and we are back. The rooms have been nicely modernized, and the service is much improved. Our old friend the doorman was still there and as gracious as ever.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chandler E

How wonderful to hear the Grand Hyatt is your hotel of choice in San Francisco! Thank you so much and we are delighted you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back again and again!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I’ve stayed at the Grand Hyatt San Francisco (GHSF) at least five times in the past year for both business and pleasure (in these cases I was traveling with my wife and two daughters, ages 10 and 8). I’ve also stayed here with my in-laws in an adjoining room. The GHSF is a large, conveniently located option that provides a reliable option for travelers. I have also held a meeting at the GHSF (three days, more than 120 attendees) and strongly recommend the GHSF for meetings as well.

WHY YOU MIGHT LIKE THE GRAND HYATT SAN FRANCISCO

1. Central location. Located at the corner of Stockton and Sutter, guests at the GHSF are well-situated for both business and tourist activities. You are a block from Union Square, a few blocks from Chinatown and within walking distance for many businesses. You can get to Fisherman’s Wharf if you want (one easy option is the #30 Stockton bus). The BART and the MUNI trolleys are within a five to ten minute walk.
2. Newly renovated. The guest rooms have been renovated within the last few years, and the lobby has been renovated in the last year. The lobby has a nice seating area with sofas and coffee tables and barstools facing Stockton where you can plug in your laptop and do work.
3. Meeting space. The ballrooms and meetings rooms are located below ground level, accessed via escalators. The rooms are large and flexible in terms of format. My meetings required a ballroom, a large meeting room for 40, and six rooms for simultaneous smaller meetings. The GHSF can handle all of this. Because the meeting rooms are on different floors, breaks and snacks can be handled easily without bothering (or being interfered by) other guests. Like the rest of the hotel, these facilities are very up to date.
4. Highly functional guest rooms. The guest rooms are efficiently laid out. There are remote controlled blackout screens which keep things dark in the morning hours. The bathroom is aesthetically pleasing. There are lots of plugs throughout. King rooms (the ones I have stayed in) have a comfy chair and ottoman. Nearly all rooms are connected to another room, making it easy to accommodate a larger party. If you are not connecting, the connecting door area is a great place to put a suitcase. The beds have adjustable reading lights. Each room has a mini fridge and a safe. Be careful because it is easy to forget stuff!!!
5. Staff. The GHSF has a very professional staff. Many of the staff (especially the bell and curbside staff) have worked there for years. Lyle in particular is very good about helping guests out with their bags, looking out for kids and other stray family members.
6. Elevators. For a hotel with so many floors and rooms, the elevators work great. There is an occasional wait, but I never have had to let an elevator pass because of overcrowding. I like the stack of SF Chronicles in the vestibule. The elevators do not cause any noticeable noise (they are located in the middle of an H-shaped floor layout and are some distance from even the nearest room).

WHY YOU MIGHT NOT LIKE THE GRAND HYATT SAN FRANCISCO

A. Double rooms are very tight. Perhaps this is the reason why there are so many connecting rooms. Sleeping four to a double room is not easy and there is little room to spare.
B. Beds are soft and squishy. The combination of double beds and squishy mattresses Is far from ideal. The GHSF could use better mattresses.
C. External and internal noise. I stayed on high floors in every stay but still could hear the street, a cab hailing whistle from across the street, traffic, trucks and cable car bells. The interior noise comes from doors opening and closing as well as the toilets, which flush at high velocity. I recommend earplugs.
D. Breakfast could be better. The sit down restaurant is very small for a hotel of this size. The buffet does not have extensive choices, but I do give them credit for its healthy options (e.g., egg white frittata). There is also a grab an go setup on the ground floor, which is pretty convenient.
E. Front desk could be better. The lobby is small and there are many rooms. The front desk can get really backed up. They’ve installed a red arrow to guide the check-in queue, but I don’t expect this to work. There are kiosks available to check in, but I wouldn’t expect anyone to use these. It’s rare these days to not have my status recognized (I am not looking for a royal treatment but it’s nice to be thanked). On my last stay with my in-laws I was very surprised at how inflexible the staff member was when I said I did not want to have a connecting room. My room was not ready and I never received a call to notify me the room was ready.

The above issues are not deal breakers. With a corporate rate, the GHSF can be pretty reasonable, and there are no surprises when it comes to the rooms.

Room Tip: King rooms ending in 17 face Union Square and are relatively spacious.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank gocats89

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a detailed review and being a Hyatt loyal members. Your support to the Hyatt brand is truly appreciated.

It is great to hear you enjoyed staying at the Grand Hyatt San Francisco for both business and pleasure. However, we want to apologize for not exceeding your expectations on a few occasions. Your feedback on our accommodations and services are very valuable and it will be shared with my management team, so that we can use your experience as an example to retrain our staffs and improve our service.

Thank you again for your comment and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Added this hotel to a weekend in SF at the last minute and what a lucky choice it was! Very very clean and comfortable in every way. I'm not a luxury traveler, so I'm sure there are fancier digs, but I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends