“Great Location and experience”

Grand Hyatt San Francisco
Ranked #39 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Tampa Bay area
“Great Location and experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Arrived at hotel on a Sunday morning and able to check into room immediately.Very nice! Bellhop was very helpful and got us setup quickly. Our stay included Grand Club which gave us food and drinks evenings and mornings. This is a huge plus for traveling with 8 yr old and a teen. The staff at the Grand Club went out of their way to welcome us and remember our names.
We stayed in a double room on the 31st floor with a view great of north/northwest San Francisco. Blinds worked great to keep out the sun and even though there was construction going below us in the Union Square area it wasn't an issue for our family. We ate at OneUp, the hotels nicely appointed restaurant, the food was well cooked and the staff was friendly.
The hotel is close to every kind of shopping imaginable and the main transportation hubs are within walking distance. (5-10 blocks) We used cabs, subway and street cars which can be interesting until you figure out where to go but we found help when necessary.
While in town we visited a Giants game, Alcatraz, biked from Golden Gate Park to the bridge as well as shopping and the hotel gave us a central location to do these activities.
I would stay at the hotel again if on business or I needed a centralized location for shopping etc. but I probably would stay farther away from the city if we visit again with the family. This isn't a negative reflection on the hotel but only because we don't need the nightlife scene, etc that SF's downtown provides.
Room was small but nice and provided a nice clean bathroom and comfortable beds to rest at night. The staff at the Grand Hyatt are very kind and professional.

Room Tip: There is construction on the west and southern portions of the main building but it wasn't an is...
2 Thank lonestar70

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (864)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
La Palma, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

I recently spent five nights in the Grand Hyatt while attending a trade show at Moscone Center. It was my first experience with this hotel after staying in other nearby hotels for all of my conventions in the past. My first impression on walking in was it was a very nice place. The lobby has an upscale, trendy look and feel to it and the front desk staff was very friendly and efficient in checking me in. I had a room on the 9th floor and also found my room to be modern and upscale/trendy looking. Everything was not only exceptionally clean but also looked relatively new. This is in comparison to a lot of other hotels in the Union Square area and elsewhere around SF that are often quite dated looking. I was pleasantly surprised that the rooms had refrigerators - a nice amenity when you are spending multiple days in a hotel. The bed was quite comfortable and as I have come to expect in the nicer hotels, you are provided with a selection of pillows with a variety of firmnesses. I also noticed that when I called guest services for anything, the phone was answered on the first or second ring and I was greeted by name.

I would love to give this hotel a 5-star rating, but there are a couple of things preventing me from doing that. First of all, the on-premises bar/restaurant is outrageously expensive. I had breakfast there one morning, and any one of the menu entrees will easily set one person back $25 by the time you include coffee, tax, and tip. That in itself wouldn't be a negative for me. This is afterall an upscale business hotel and you generally expect the on-premises dining options to be on the expensive side. The bigger problem for me on this particular stay was that there was road construction going on immediately outside the hotel, and it was literally 24/7. Because of that I just didn't sleep well at all. I was unfortunately kept awake all night by the unpleasant sounds of jackhammers and trucks backing up. Now I know that's not the hotel's fault and not even within their realm of control - shame on you City of San Francisco or whoever made the brilliant decision to run a major construction project 24/7 just steps away from a major hotel. I would however have to caution anyone considering a stay here that you can't count on a good night's sleep until the project is finished, unless you're capable of sleeping in a war zone.

Other than that, I will consider staying here again when I join the same trade show next year as long as the road construction is complete.

Room Tip: Get as high of a floor as possible to reduce street noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Santa Monica, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

I would not stay at this hotel again. The room is nicely decorated but the mattress is worn out and sags and is very uncomfortable. There is extremely loud construction noise at night from work on the subway station on Stockton and the front desk seemed to be unaware of this potential issue and not particularly sympathetic. The hotel lacks basic amenities such as a gift shop where one could purchase a drink or basic sundries.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces Sutter to be as far away as possible from the construction and bring ear p...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank lrcctz
Port of Spain, Trinidad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

This hotel was a gem. My family of four had a fantastic stay here. The location is ideal just off Union Square and close to all transport. The staff was very friendly and helpful and offered some good tips on getting around. It is close to China Town, Market Street and other great shopping as well as food.

The only draw back would be the room size, but you are in San Francisco where real-estate is prime. We fit a bit tight but well with four large suitcases.

All in all I will stay here again and recommend it to everyone.

Long Beach, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

I just returned yesterday from a 2 night stay with my 17 year old niece that I booked in early April. I checked TripAdvisor several days before the trip and found out about the construction near by. We took BART from airport and being summer, Powell Street was extremely crowded but we were able to navigate our way to the hotel. We arrrived about noon and our room was ready but faced Union Square. I could hear the construction noise and we decided to take a "quiet room" away from the noise. We got a room facing the back of the hotel (towards Powell St.) on the 7th floor. Let me tell you, the room was fabulous. It was recently renovated and I thought my niece was never going to leave. The beds are so luxurious and I slept very well. This is unusual since I have a Temperpedic at home and usually cannot sleep on a "traditional" mattress any more. The down side is that I spent many hours walking around the city by myself since I could not get that kid out of bed!! I question my "quiet room" since there was plenty of heavy duty construction noise at 11:00 PM. I guess I wasn't specific enough about what I wanted so if noise is an issue for you please take note of other room suggestions on other posts. Luckily, I was so tired I fell asleep easily.
My niece loved the exercise room and used it every night. The location is simply divine - you are surrounded by all the stores you could want. Chinatown entrance is less than 2 blocks away and I even got her to walk down to the wharf .
I would have given 5 stars but due to no fault of the hotel I gave it a 4 for the noise. The construction literally is a full 3 blocks down Stockton starting at the corner on Post and continuing down to Market. According to the news this is subway construction and will not be completed until 2017. We actually went back down to BART using Stockton and it was so much easier than Powell. There is a narrow sidewalk adjoining the construction site that you can walk down and there is not much foot traffic,.
As a side note, if you like hamburgers try Super Duper Burgers on Market Street. The long line is a testament to its quality (and my other niece works at In N Out so I shouldn't be complimenting the competition!)
Thank you Hyatt for a wonderful property!!!

Room Tip: Be specific about which way you want to face and how high you want to be if you want to try and avoi...
Brighton, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We booked a basic room plus breakfast package some months before on the basis of location and from TA searching what looked a more modern and spacious room compared with other hotel pics.
Check in was very efficient with a very nice and friendly guy who managed to give us a corner room( slightly bigger) on floor 16 with a view of the Transamerica Pyramid and other downtown towers and a partial bay glimpses. Note that even from the top 35th floor/gym windows the towers block out a full bay view.
Overall we were very pleased with the room etc, it is modern and relatively new, its not inventively designed or contemporary though, however it was always welcoming to come back to after tiring days out.
We got a very good deal on the internet and by only paying a bit more got the breakfast buffet option for 2 included. As a walkin customer it costs $25 per person, which actually is still good value compared to paying for each item off the alacarte menu and there aren't many more options here anyway.However the buffet is good for maybe a couple of days but it is fairly limited and repetitive over our 6nt stay. Also there is only limited seating and staff so do prepare for a little wait. They can open up a further room down the corridor which can be quieter but you are away from the buffet table!
overall we did like our stay, good hotel and we liked the location so you cant get much better.
However we found our stay in SF hard going, a big crowded city with poor public transport, lots of road works, and many of its attractions closed for redevelopment- hardly the best mix for romantic stays.
Unfortunately on our return to the Uk we found an unexpected charge on our CC. It took several emails and phone calls before the first professional person in the Hyatt group took responsibility to address the issue and sort it out. Not good service and disappointing.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Copenhagen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in the end of June. Placed just 2 blocks from Union Square it doesn't get any more central in SF without the tourists. Further it is very close to the highclass shopping of SF. The lobby is a bit small for a hotel of this class, but with a high class and fast, serviceminded and smiling checkin. Valet service was great to, and the doormen are relaxed and smiling. The rooms are not that big, and not completely up to the modern design that you often experience at Grand Hyatt hotels, but definetely a nice, high standard.

The rooms and the hotel itself would usually only qualify for a 4 star rating in my book, but the service and location just sneaks the Grand Hyatt into the 5 star category.

Room Tip: Go for the higher stories. The view in the lower stories isn't very good.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family